INSTRUME, TELESCOP, etc.

Old July 25th 03, 01:26 PM
Howard A. Bushouse

Default INSTRUME, TELESCOP, etc.

In article , William Thompson writes:
| I was reviewing a document suggesting keywords to be used in FITS headers, and I
| was wondering if there was any kind of defacto standard beyond that in the FITS
| definition. The keywords being suggested were as follows
|
| INSTRUME FITS Standard
| TELESCOP FITS Standard
|
| DETECTOR The detector used
| INSTITUT The institution
| OBSERVAT The observatory
| NETWORK I think this keyword is meant to be used for data taken by a
| network of observatories, such as the GONG network.
|
| Except for the first two, which are standard FITS keywords, are any of the other
| keywords used elsewhere? Or are their other forms which capture the same concepts?

STScI also routinely uses TELESCOP ("HST", and eventually "JWST"?),
INSTRUME ("ACS,COS,FGS,FOC,FOS,GHRS,HSP,NICMOS,STIS,WFPC2,W FC3"),
as well as DETECTOR (most HST instruments have more than one detector
channel in them). We don't use INSTITUT or OBSERVAT. As with the NOAO
usage, a lot of our software uses the INSTRUME and DETECTOR keywords.

Howard Bushouse
STScI/STSDAS group