Station isn't so kewl these days?

Old December 14th 13, 06:49 PM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Default Station isn't so kewl these days?

And is it the *new* pump that has the valve that is misbehaving?

I've forgotten if the crew was up to six at the time the pump was
replaced. Heck, that was way back when NASA was using winged
spacecraft.

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

Old December 15th 13, 10:22 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Well, who knows, but I'd assume things will get fixed. Or isit a plot to get
all those inside naked?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old December 18th 13, 10:17 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Sounds a bit ad hoc to me. I see a press release saying that it will be
three space walks, on on Christmas day. I imagine this needs to be sorted
soon though, as they will be anxious to find out exactly what has caused the
valve to fail. Its a bit odd as its not the first time amonia hardware has
been a problem.
Brian

Email:

"JF Mezei" wrote in message
eb.com...
An update from NASA on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_aXU...DI-naOwo1H5gaB

It isn't a failed pump, it is a failed flow control valve.

What they are trying now is to use an "on/off" valve downstream to
control the flow. They hope to be able to modulate that on/off valve to
simulate variable flow to keep the ammonia temperatures within ranges.

If this trick works (they are evaluating/testing it now), it may allow
the spacewalk to be postponed.

Old December 19th 13, 09:54 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

I thought the idea was as an extra pair of hands so to speak. I'm not sure
its sensitivity and controllability havebeen sorted out as yet, as using
human type tools outside is a very much tactile experience even inside thick
gloves, it remains to be seen how a remote controlled device can feed back
the information we get from our handse, form itis 'hands' in a meaningfulway
to allow it to be useful to others.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"JF Mezei" wrote in message
b.com...
On 13-12-18 05:17, Brian Gaff wrote:

valve to fail. Its a bit odd as its not the first time amonia hardware
has
been a problem.

It is not that odd. I believe that NASA expected any systems that are
outdoors to have higher rates of failure. This is one reason that Canada
supplied DEXTRE along with the canadarm in order to make it possibe to
fix things without EVAs. But so far, I am not sure DEXTRE has been of
any use. Perhaps it was designed for very specific tasks only.

HTV : 30 days maximum stay at station John Doe Space Station 2 September 20th 09 11:27 PM
Stupid Question: Why does it take 3 days for Shuttle to Station Walter L. Preuninger II Space Shuttle 5 July 27th 05 10:31 PM
Kewl Pix jabberwock1 Astronomy Misc 1 May 30th 05 02:40 AM
U & I ~ ? Kewl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twittering One Misc 6 May 11th 05 08:05 PM
Kewl! Twittering One Misc 12 January 29th 05 12:38 AM