News about scifi writer Andre Norton

Old March 8th 05, 10:25 PM
Rusty

Default News about scifi writer Andre Norton

The following messages appeared on the Yahoo Space-modelers discussion
board over the past few days:

"From: "Karon Adams" karon@k...
Date: Sat Mar 5, 2005 8:41 am
Subject: Update on Ms. Andre

"I just received a call from my mom. Ms. Andre Norton had a stroke a
two days
ago. She has lost her sight, most of her hearing and is now functioning
mentally on a five year old level. We expect a second stroke any time
now
and that will, unfortunately take this lovely lady from us. Please keep
her
and her family and friends in your prayers. My mom was able to go and
see
her prior to the stroke. She went home when the docs told her she was
probably not going to survive. She wanted to go home and die with her
books
and her cats. Unfortunately for us, we are soon to lose her.

For now, I pray for her comfort and ease. Godspeed Ms. Andre, Godspeed.

Karon"

"From: "Karon Adams" karon@k...
Date: Sat Mar 5, 2005 12:55 pm
Subject: [space-modelers] Update on Ms. Andre

Oh, My, I must correct a misunderstanding. My mom is perfectly fine, it
is
Ms. Andre Norton, long time Science Fiction Author, who is ill and near
her
end. She is 93 and has written many a wonderful trip through the stars.
mention it here because I know many people interested in space flight
are
also Science fiction fans and many science fiction fans grew up reading
Ms.
Andre's work. My mom is a friend of Ms. Andre, this is why I know of
her
condition.

Karon"

Rusty

Old March 9th 05, 03:41 AM
Rusty

Here is some additional information from Yahoo Space-modelers_eva:

From: "Bruce P." spacecraftengr@y...
Date: Sat Mar 5, 2005 11:10 pm
Subject: Andre Norton

A posting on the Space Modelers group regarding Andre Norton's
condition following a stroke would seem to be a bit more dreadful than
what a friend, a long time genre author herself, has reported to me
after being in contact with those immediates tending to AN-

"... have been in touch with her......currently she is at home, able
to sit up in her wheelchair and is eating. Her situation is delicate,
but there is some hope of recovery...."

BP

From: "Bruce P." spacecraftengr@y...
Date: Sun Mar 6, 2005 10:30 am

BTW-

Her stroke was in early February and she spent a couple of weeks in
ICU with pneumonia then went home to be among familiar surroundings;
expecting her not to recover fully. It wasn't anticipated that she
would rally to the extent that she has... but we'll take it. She had
returned home under hospice care to spend her potentially final days
with her books and her cats.

And a friend sent this anecdote-

"My favorite memory of her was when we visited Worldcon in 1992; she
attended several of the functions and even signed autographs. I was
walking from the hotel to the convention center one day and heard a
whirring noise; looking up, I managed to get to one side of the walk
in time to avoid being bowled over by an electric cart. At the
controls was a wide-eyed, happy Andre Norton, pursued on foot by her
erstwhile escorts. I think she enjoyed the sensation of outrunning
her younger, healthier "protectors"; it doubtless tickled her sense of
humor."

BP

Rusty