Proper Astronomy Observational Logs

Old December 21st 03, 07:29 PM
Greg Dortmond

Default Proper Astronomy Observational Logs

Observer: Greg Dortmond______________________________________ Date: 09 Oct 96
Location: Someplace___________ Time: __21:56__
Latitude: 34° 30' --" N Longitude: _97° 03' --" W Time Zone: CDT_
Altitude: _850' Transparency: _5_ (0-6) Seeing: 8.5 (0-10) Position: 20° SW
Telescope: 10" f/6.3 SCT_____________________ Eyepiece: 20 mm Nagler__________
Field of View: 1.025° Magnification: __80X__ Filter: None_______
Object: M 14 - NGC 6402____________ Type: Globular Cluster Size: __________
R A: 17h 37.6' Dec: -03° 15' Magnitude: 7.6 V ____ P
Constellation: Oph Chart #: SA 15______

INSERT GOOD FREEHAND SKETCH

Bright moderate sized globular cluster. Overall shape is spherical. It is highly
concentrated. The cluster is not resolvable with the 20 mm Nagler, the 9 mm_____
Nagler hints at resolving in the core, but low contrast of image prevents it.___
The center is denser and minimally brighter. There is no color or nebulosity____
noted.____________________________________________ ______________________________

Just to show you what most have no longer any patience to do!!
Old December 22nd 03, 01:06 AM
Martin Frey

(Greg Dortmond) wrote:

[...]

Eager to learn: what is the use of this? What lends it importance?

I can show you a couple of years of drawings of the Sun. They are
enormous fun to do (well I don't do them, my wife does) and they
accumulate into an impressive collection that people make the right
noises about - but they are of no non-personal use what so ever.

We like collecting our own useless drawings, you like collecting your
own useless observation reports, others like collecting useless ccd
images. Where is the harm so great that you have to come trampling all
over everybody?

Is it any connection with burning dead leaves? I find this makes me
more mellow - it clearly has a less calming effect on you - so I
suggest you move on to class A drugs or just say no.

-----------------------------
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
N 51 01 52.2 E 0 47 21.1
-----------------------------
Old December 22nd 03, 01:40 PM
Chris.B

Martin Frey wrote in message . ..

Crikey - hasn't he got a big one and swanking about his eyepieces
too, the blighter.

Martin Frey

But it's only one of those blasted noisy, new-fangled things from the
Colonies, Martin Old Boy...So it really doesn't count does it? Would
scare the birds awf, don't you know?

Just think of the cost of having one shipped over to Blighty? Good
Lord Man! Broadhurst Clarksons wouldn't touch the likes with the
proverbiable 10 foot barge pole. It would be the death of them!
Reputation would be in tatters overnight! What? Hmmph!

Now if he were anything like the Gentleman Amateur he claims to be.
This Gregory Upstart Esquire would enjoy a classical yellow brass 5"
refractor with red brass & bronze details. Housed in a modest 8 foot
hexagonal wooden observatory, set somewhat privately in his grounds.
As a suitable instrument for his astronomical researches while down
from London.
Or possibly one of the new silver-on-glass 8 inch specula from Calver
in a steel tube on a good equatorial stand from the likes of Grubb.
His occulars of choice would of course be the best quality Huygenian
from a good maker in High Holborn. And, one would certainly have no
truck with this damned "Johny Foreigner" nonsense! And bye the bye:
Who is this Nagler chappy anyway? Never heard of him! Damn the fellow!
One can still remember when "Empire Made" actually meant something!
snort

"Trollin' along on the crest of a wave, tra-la'!"

I remain Your most obsequious & humble servant Sir,

Sir Christoper B. Grinch Esq. (H.F.A.B.) *;^}#