Galaxy Hunting

Old September 2nd 03, 08:49 PM
Terry A. Haimann

Default Galaxy Hunting

I am working on my Messier list and the biggest hole I have right now is
the Galaxies between Virgo, Leo and Coma Berenices.

I live in Iowa, where the skies are relatively dark(away from the cities,)
but in the early spring the wet weather patterns are moving in. In the
last two years duriing the spring's moonless night(Humidity also starts to
be a problem.) I only managed about one night a year where the skies were passible.

So I was wanting to plan a vacation in the early spring of 2004 that would allow me to go
hunting for these objects. The area I would need to go to would need
relatively dark skies and a high probability of clear weather. I have a
small camper, so I was hoping for a state or national park that would meet
these conditions.

Any suggestions, Terry

Old September 3rd 03, 01:21 AM
etok

"Terry A. Haimann" wrote in message
news
I am working on my Messier list and the biggest hole I have right now is
the Galaxies between Virgo, Leo and Coma Berenices.

I live in Iowa, where the skies are relatively dark(away from the cities,)
but in the early spring the wet weather patterns are moving in. In the
last two years duriing the spring's moonless night(Humidity also starts to
be a problem.) I only managed about one night a year where the skies were

passible.

So I was wanting to plan a vacation in the early spring of 2004 that would

allow me to go
hunting for these objects. The area I would need to go to would need
relatively dark skies and a high probability of clear weather. I have a
small camper, so I was hoping for a state or national park that would meet
these conditions.

Any suggestions, Terry

Austin, Nevada on highway 50. In fact, anywhere along highway 50 between
Delta UT and Austin. 300 miles of dead dark desert. The gentlemanly rattler
shakes his tail in greetings. They coyote's eyes reflect the light of your
campfire in the darkness.
So many stars you can't find the constellations. You have to put on
sunglasses at night to find them. I kid you not.
You can almost read by the light of the stars with no moon. It's bright
enough to walk around in the desert without a flashlight. A weird purple
glow illuminates your way. It's freaky. It's dark. It's cheap. You'll feel
like you're in an old '50's sci-fi movie.

Just watch out for the tarantula migrations. Imagine millions and millions
of huge, hairy spiders moving in waves across the road....
What do they say, romance is where you find it? ;-)
Regards,
Etok

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old September 3rd 03, 06:56 AM
Bill Ferris

Terry wrote:
I am working on my Messier list and the biggest hole I have right now is
the Galaxies between Virgo, Leo and Coma Berenices.

[snip]

So I was wanting to plan a vacation in the early spring of 2004 that would
allow me to go hunting for these objects. The area I would need to go to
would need relatively dark skies and a high probability of clear weather.
I have a small camper, so I was hoping for a state or national park that
would meet these conditions.

There are several sites in central Arizona offering exactly what you seek. And
if you plan your trip around the new Moon weekend in March 2004 (March 20), you
could participate in the All-Arizona Messier Marathon. Go to the Saguaro
Astronomy Club website for more info: http://www.saguaroastro.org/

Regards,

Bill Ferris
"Cosmic Voyage: The Online Resource for Amateur Astronomers"
Email: Remove "ic" from .comic above to respond

Old September 4th 03, 03:47 AM
RKroeppler

Great advice from Mr. Ferris. And by the way, I located all the Virgo-Coma
galaxies on the Messier list with 20 x 80 binos and SA2000.0 from a my fairly
light polluted backyard in Scottsdale, AZ.
Happy Hunting!

Scott