ASTRO: Adding more frames to my Holmes scale image

Old November 20th 07, 12:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Adding more frames to my Holmes scale image

I had a few sucker holes open just long enough to get shots of Holmes
though clouds dimmed it somewhat. I now calculate its diameter as about
1.6 million miles, nearly twice the sun's diameter and it is still
growing.

It's now too big for my system. If centered the edges are completely
out of frame, even in the corners. So I decided to concentrate on the
tail area on the 18th rather than center it. Alpha Persei causes the
mess at the bottom right. It is just out of frame. This was taken the
night before closest approach. It snowed that night, then rained.
Winter just can't make up its mind if it is coming or not.

I see little gas that was seen earlier. No blue tail showed at all
though the night wasn't as good and it is fading. Though the haze of
the 18th the comet wasn't bright even in binoculars and was lost naked
eye to the moon lighting up the foggy haze.

This image is at 4" per pixel, half of what I used before as the image
was just getting too big at 2" per pixel.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCALE7R.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1468
Old November 20th 07, 07:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Yep, this one is getting bigger and bigger. Last time I imaged it I decided
to use a 300mm lens to get some of the nice star background in Perseus.

Stefan

Old November 20th 07, 08:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Beta Persei

Rick, astonishing images as usual from you.
I'm taking the liberty to use your pics to show the evolution of 17/P at our
next lecture at our astronomy club, I hope this will not bother you. I'm
citing the Author, of course.

Keep up the good job and clear skies,
--------
Beta Persei
45° 35' N
08° 51' E

remove "_nospam" to reply

Old November 21st 07, 01:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

........ Alpha Persei causes the
mess at the bottom right.......

Rick,

Actually I think the bright star adds some "character" to the image! This
certainly is a neat presentation of how Holmes has evolved.

George N

ASTRO: Interesting features gleamed from Hubble Image of Holmes Core George[_1_] Astro Pictures 3 November 18th 07 07:37 AM
ASTRO: EE Barnard's 1892 image of Comet Holmes George Normandin[_1_] Astro Pictures 1 November 12th 07 10:37 PM
ASTRO: Holmes No Name Astro Pictures 1 November 12th 07 01:56 AM
Astro: Repost of my comet Holmes image - 1 attachment Skywise Astro Pictures 2 October 26th 07 10:52 PM
ASTRO: Stokes Parameter Polarization Difference Image os Comet 17 / P Holmes Richard Crisp[_1_] Astro Pictures 0 October 25th 07 07:07 AM