Meade series 5000, stigma busters?

Old October 27th 04, 10:44 AM
lsayre

Default Meade series 5000, stigma busters?

Will the stigma of Meade as regards being constantly bashed and
denigrated for copying the Gen 1 Nagler line be lifted when their new
5000 UWA series rolls out?

Lawrence Sayre
Old October 27th 04, 04:43 PM
Rich

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:44:40 GMT, lsayre wrote:

Will the stigma of Meade as regards being constantly bashed and
denigrated for copying the Gen 1 Nagler line be lifted when their new
5000 UWA series rolls out?

Lawrence Sayre

Of all the products out there that represent immitations but improved
immitations on original products, why would Meade be stigmatized and
others not? I remember a few people crying that the G5 was a copy of
the Vixen SP mount, but given the numbers of the G5s sold, most people
had no problem accepting it.

Old October 27th 04, 07:38 PM
Ed T

"Rich" wrote in message

Of all the products out there that represent immitations but improved
immitations on original products, why would Meade be stigmatized and
others not? I remember a few people crying that the G5 was a copy of
the Vixen SP mount, but given the numbers of the G5s sold, most people
had no problem accepting it.

I think its because Al Nagler is a real person to American amateurs. That
adds a human dimension to any perceived injustice. With faceless
corporations its just business.

Ed T.

Old October 28th 04, 01:33 AM
RichA

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:38:40 GMT, "Ed T" wrote:

"Rich" wrote in message

Of all the products out there that represent immitations but improved
immitations on original products, why would Meade be stigmatized and
others not? I remember a few people crying that the G5 was a copy of
the Vixen SP mount, but given the numbers of the G5s sold, most people
had no problem accepting it.

I think its because Al Nagler is a real person to American amateurs. That
adds a human dimension to any perceived injustice. With faceless
corporations its just business.

Ed T.

Yes, Nagler is known, he designed his eyepieces and telescopes,
he goes to stores and star parties.

But for the more rational out there, if some company comes along
and makes an eyepiece like the Meade UWs and Naglers but also
produces them so they have no distortion or difference of
magnification across the FOV and improves the lateral colour,
I don't care who they are, my Meades and TeleVues are history!
But,someone at Meade worked on the eyepieces, maybe they should
publish pictures of the people? Edmund Scientific(s) is doing
that in Photonics-Spectra magazine.
Old October 29th 04, 07:24 PM
Pete Rasmussen

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:14:54 -0500, Pete Rasmussen
wrote:

Yeah, when scopes were not clones and men were not Hobbits ;-)

Oops, didn't intend that to sound r*cist. Was referring in jest to
the astounding Flores man hominid discovery.

Pete