Damn- damn damn!

Old April 12th 05, 08:57 PM
Lawrence

Default Damn- damn damn!

Today the local council replaced the bust light that is a few metres away from
my observatory. Damn....... For a couple of weeks now it has been gloriously
dark - but of course the clouds stopped most imaging.

Lawrence Harris

Old April 12th 05, 10:58 PM
John Knight

Lawrence wrote:
Today the local council replaced the bust light that is a few metres away from
my observatory. Damn....... For a couple of weeks now it has been gloriously
dark - but of course the clouds stopped most imaging.

Lawrence Harris

A few months ago a number of youths walked past our house, one of them
armed with about 8 feet of scaffolding pole. He swung it at the
streetlight next to my fence and presto! Darkness. Much
cheering from his gang (and me).

Just a thought. (The light came back on again the next night by the way).

JK
Old April 12th 05, 11:07 PM
Martin

"Lawrence" Lawrence@astronomer wrote in message
Today the local council replaced the bust light that is a few metres away
from
my observatory. Damn....... For a couple of weeks now it has been
gloriously
dark - but of course the clouds stopped most imaging.

Lawrence Harris

Get yourself an air rifle :-)

Martin

Old April 12th 05, 11:20 PM
OG

"John Knight" wrote in message
Lawrence wrote:
Today the local council replaced the bust light that is a few metres

away from
my observatory. Damn....... For a couple of weeks now it has been

gloriously
dark - but of course the clouds stopped most imaging.

Lawrence Harris

A few months ago a number of youths walked past our house, one of them
armed with about 8 feet of scaffolding pole. He swung it at the
streetlight next to my fence and presto! Darkness. Much
cheering from his gang (and me).

Just a thought. (The light came back on again the next night by the

way).

Shaking a streetlight is reckoned to cut off the power. Something to do
with ensuring they don't become 'live' if damaged in a RTA.

Can't condone doing it though.

Old April 13th 05, 12:03 AM
Tim Hicks

Martin wrote:
"Lawrence" Lawrence@astronomer wrote in message

Today the local council replaced the bust light that is a few metres away
from
my observatory. Damn....... For a couple of weeks now it has been
gloriously
dark - but of course the clouds stopped most imaging.

Lawrence Harris

Get yourself an air rifle :-)

Martin

Hmm... I'm only guessing (of course) but I doubt that either of my
rifles (one greak barrel and one pre-charge) would penetrate the glass
in the lamp in front of my house. I can break a beer bottle with a
couple of shots, but the glass only has to become a fraction thicker
(wine bottle) before they struggle at anything over five feet or so.
There are places that will increase the performance of an air gun so
that it *may* (and I mean MAY) have the power, but this would be
illegal, and you would likely be charged as if you had a standard bullet
round firing weapon - i.e. a .303 Bren machine gun!
Ironically, standing directly beneath the lamp and hurling a large flint
would likely be just as effective, but likely to incur a lesser charge.
There is (perhaps understandably) a strong anti gun feeling within the
police force at the moment, and you would likely be charged (and
sentenced) for being spotted near a lampost with a half authentic
looking spud gun.

Tim
Old April 13th 05, 08:56 AM
Tony Pottrell

Shaking a streetlight is reckoned to cut off the power. Something to do
with ensuring they don't become 'live' if damaged in a RTA.

Can't condone doing it though.

I've never attempted this *ahem* but a sterm boot to the base usually does
the trick

Old April 13th 05, 09:48 AM
Mark Dunn

This is old advice, but if it has a photocell on top, they used to be
attached by a twist fitting and could be disconnected accordingly.

Old April 13th 05, 09:49 AM
Jim

Tony Pottrell wrote:

Shaking a streetlight is reckoned to cut off the power. Something to do
with ensuring they don't become 'live' if damaged in a RTA.

Can't condone doing it though.

I've never attempted this *ahem* but a sterm boot to the base usually does
the trick

Please - they're called 'Size 9 Kenetic Readjustment Devices'

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
"We deal in the moral equivalent of black holes, where the normal
Old April 13th 05, 10:11 AM
James Hill

Well, the local council have just put something on the light that overlooks
the darkest part of my garden and there is now very little light from it!
Either that or someone other than myself has painted the back of the lamp.
So I can't complain about that, but...

All I have to deal with now is the *four* "security" suns that the house at
the foot of my garden has on at night. Two of which point directly into my
little nipper's bedroom window! *grr*

I wonder if my airsoft AEG rifle can penertrate security light glass... Or
maybe it's time to dust off the ninja suit and go cut the damn wires!

Oh yeah, the owner's a complete arse as I have already found out so the
diplomatic route has already been exhausted.

Cheers, I'll stop moaning now.
Jim

Old April 13th 05, 10:22 AM
Jim

James Hill wrote:

Oh yeah, the owner's a complete arse as I have already found out so the
diplomatic route has already been exhausted.

Time to start the legal route. Remember: *you* are in the right here.

Jim