Universe Might be Bigger and Older than Expected

Old August 8th 06, 03:29 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Raving Loonie[_1_]

Default Universe Might be Bigger and Older than Expected

"A project aiming to create an easier way to measure cosmic distances
has instead turned up surprising evidence that our large and ancient
universe might be even bigger and older than previously thought.

If accurate, the finding would be difficult to mesh with current
thinking about how the universe evolved, one scientist said.

A research team led by Alceste Bonanos at the Carnegie Institution of
Washington has found that the Triangulum Galaxy, also known as M33, is
about 15 percent farther away from our own Milky Way than previously
calculated.

The finding, which will be detailed in an upcoming issue of
Astrophysical Journal, suggests that the Hubble constant, a number that
measures the expansion rate and age of the universe, is actually 15
percent smaller than other studies have found. ... "

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200608...erthanexpected

Old August 8th 06, 05:15 AM posted to alt.astronomy
nightbat[_1_]

nightbat wrote

Raving Loonie wrote:

[...]

That means our Officer Bert's deducement of Universe age of
approx. 22 billion years is just as good as the mainstreamers. Thank you
Officer RL for your expert report.

carry on,
the nightbat
Old August 8th 06, 07:37 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_1_]

nightbat wrote:
nightbat wrote

Raving Loonie wrote:

[...]

Bert always has stayed ahead of the curve.

Double-A

Old August 8th 06, 09:00 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Odysseus

In article . com,
"Raving Loonie" wrote:

"A project aiming to create an easier way to measure cosmic distances
has instead turned up surprising evidence that our large and ancient
universe might be even bigger and older than previously thought.

If accurate, the finding would be difficult to mesh with current
thinking about how the universe evolved, one scientist said.

A research team led by Alceste Bonanos at the Carnegie Institution of
Washington has found that the Triangulum Galaxy, also known as M33, is
about 15 percent farther away from our own Milky Way than previously
calculated.

The finding, which will be detailed in an upcoming issue of
Astrophysical Journal, suggests that the Hubble constant, a number that
measures the expansion rate and age of the universe, is actually 15
percent smaller than other studies have found. ... "

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200608...iggerandoldert
hanexpected

Since when do distances in the Local Group have anything to do with the
Hubble constant? Surely M33 is too close to exhibit a cosmological
redshift!

--
Odysseus
Old August 8th 06, 02:44 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

nightbat In 50 more years the universe's size will be my figure of 22
billion years. Reality is my thinking is 50 years ahead of humankind. My
late friend "Joe" told me that. Still I wish I could think of the right
number to this weeks Florida lotto.it was up to 50 million. I still play
123456 Bert

Old August 8th 06, 02:54 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Double-A I'm laughing. Its the "curve" astronomers don't add in. They
also don'[t add in the time needed for gravity to evolve the different
stages the universe had and has right up to now. The only spacetimes
they have right is the first 300,000 years of gamma,and the last 5
billion years it took to evolve our solar system. Reality is the two
longest spacetimes was creating enough hydrogen and helium for 6
trillion stars,and structuring the galaxies to hold them Bert

Old August 8th 06, 07:07 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hagar[_1_]

"Raving Loonie" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I don't think we'll ever know, with any degree of certainty, how big the
universe really is. My guess is that it has no limit nor an end. It is
also reasonable to assume that it is as populated with stars and galaxies as
the very small portion we can observe today. It is also reasonable to
assume that it is oscillating, sort of like water sloshing around in a
bucket. We happen to be in one of the expanding areas, but somewhere,
beyond our present view, there is a resonance area at which space and matter
gets crowded. Our present mathematical picture of the universe only takes
into account what we can see and measure, with a few fudge factors thrown in
to correct for those pesky aberrations that we can't really explain.

Presently our view is limited to a periphery of appr 13BLY. It is tantamount
to a small boy standing on top of a tall mountain, and after taking in a 360
view, thinking "so this is the size of the universe I live in".

Old August 8th 06, 11:57 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Llanzlan Klazmon

"Raving Loonie" wrote in
ups.com:

"A project aiming to create an easier way to measure cosmic distances
has instead turned up surprising evidence that our large and ancient
universe might be even bigger and older than previously thought.

If accurate, the finding would be difficult to mesh with current
thinking about how the universe evolved, one scientist said.

A research team led by Alceste Bonanos at the Carnegie Institution of
Washington has found that the Triangulum Galaxy, also known as M33, is
about 15 percent farther away from our own Milky Way than previously
calculated.

The finding, which will be detailed in an upcoming issue of
Astrophysical Journal, suggests that the Hubble constant, a number that
measures the expansion rate and age of the universe, is actually 15
percent smaller than other studies have found. ... "

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200608...htbebiggerando
lderthanexpected

That is utter bull****. M33 is gravitationally bound to the Milky Way and
other local group galaxies. If you tried to use M31 for this you would get
a negative Hubble constant.

KMlazmon.
Old August 9th 06, 08:23 AM posted to alt.astronomy
nightbat[_1_]

nightbat wrote

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

nightbat In 50 more years the universe's size will be my figure of 22
billion years. Reality is my thinking is 50 years ahead of humankind. My
late friend "Joe" told me that. Still I wish I could think of the right
number to this weeks Florida lotto.it was up to 50 million. I still play
123456 Bert

nightbat

Hey Bert, why wait 50 years for your estimation of the age of
the Universe has been disclosed already and it is just as good as the
mainstreamers. Just remember they don't call us profound for nothing
Officer Bert. The State Lotteries are all chance based as long as the
the ones running it don't cheat. Better chance to get hit by Florida
lightning then to hit the big one, save your money for your suds, that's
a sure thing.

cheers,
the nightbat
Old August 9th 06, 01:23 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

nightbat Well I only lose a six pack a week playing the lotto. Galaxy
M33 is a fairly small galaxy,and not to far away. Maybe a million LY
further than Adromeda. I have a picture of it "face on" Its spiral,and
since its in the "local" group with the Milky Way I can't figure out why
it makes such a good light house to show distance. Why not use Galaxy
101 it is 24,000,000 LY from us its biggest and brightest Spiral
galaxies(beautiful picture of it) I love to study pictures of
galaxies. I think like Sagan and say "Look at all the intelligent life
there must be with all those billions of stars;." Mother nature was
very clever when she created great distances between intelligent life.
It has a better chance of survival. Bert