ASTRO: Barnard 15, 16 and 17 Correct images

Old June 5th 14, 07:36 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default ASTRO: Barnard 15, 16 and 17 Correct images

I did it again. I thought something wasn't right when I posted this but these were the images in the file. Seems the correct ones got put in the wrong file. A disk search turned them up.

Here's the version I meant to post, just brightened it some as it was rather dark and foreboding. I suppose there's something to say for either variety.

Original info:
Barnard 15 is a dark nebula in eastern Perseus. It is also known as LDN 1445. While Barnard 16 and 17 are also in this frame, at least their published coordinates are, I can't see them, at least as a separate object. B 16 is listed as: "Very small; elongated N and S; close to SE edge of B 15". B 17 is listed as: "Very small; elongated N and S; close to E edge of B 15." I'm afraid I can't see them, at least as separate objects in my image. All three are listed at opacity level 5 which is the darkest level so I'd think 16 and 17 would be easy to spot.

The description for B 15 is more complete: "Elliptical; diameter 15' x 10' slightly NW and SE. One of the finest examples of a dark object seen against the ordinary sky and away from the Milky Way. The background on which the stars shine is uniform over the entire plate. The object is in a region somewhat larger than itself, where there are relatively few stars, and is black by contrast with the sky alone. It clearly shows the presence of a feeble uniform luminosity in space which, from the appearance of similar objects in widely different parts of the sky, leads to the belief that this feeble illumination of distant space is universal. If this object were seen against the star clouds of the Milky Way it would appear strikingly black." These come from the catalog as published by The Delaware Valley Amateur Astronomers found at: http://www.dvaa.org/AData/Barnard.html which I've found useful for Barnard's objects.

I found no good estimate of its distance. One site says that the major dark nebula in Perseus are about 1150 light-years but nothing specific for this object.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B15-16-17L8X10RGB3X10R.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	499.1 KB
ID:	5144  Click image for larger version

Name:	B15-16-17L8X10RGB3X10R-67.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	5145
Old June 19th 14, 10:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

just added this one to my list. I always am short of interesting objects in
autumn.

Stefan

--
WA0CKY