No glasses during totality!?

Old August 19th 17, 02:22 PM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
[email protected]

Default No glasses during totality!?

hi everyone. I am in the area in the United States will there will be a total solar eclipse. I keep reading that it is safe to view the sun with the naked eye when it is totally eclipsed by the moon but that is the only time. I have found a website that tells me the exact time that totality starts where I am located and how long it lasts ( approximately 2 minutes and 33 seconds ) but my question is how am I absolutely sure that it is total and I can do it for a split second without damaging my eyes because heaven forbid you think it is in total and it is not and you have ruined your eyesight by looking at it. like maybe if I look at it with the glasses on first would it look completely dark? I know to have my phone nearby and to have a certain time where I know it is safe to look but that is not enough for me. any advice on this is much appreciated . It would especially be helpful to hear from an astronomist about this . I'd like to see it when it is safe to view but only when it is safe thank you very much for your time and consideration
Old August 19th 17, 05:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Barry Schwarz[_2_]

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 06:22:17 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

DO NOT DEPEND ON REGULAR SUNGLASSES OF ANY TYPE!

You should have bought some eclipse sunglasses so you wouldn't have to
worry about the exact time. The moments just before and after
totality are some of the most interesting. If you can't find glasses
in your area, you can view the sun through #14 welder's safety glass.

Alternate 1 - Watch the ground, when you see the shadows of the moon
mountains racing across the landscape, totality is about to begin.

Alternate 2 - Look away from the sun. If you see stars, totality is
in progress.

--
Remove del for email

Hubble gets new UV glasses Yousuf Khan Astronomy Misc 2 May 9th 09 06:55 AM
Help with glasses! Steve & Lizzie Amateur Astronomy 9 September 21st 06 09:00 PM
solar glasses JLunis Misc 4 March 8th 05 04:36 PM
3d glasses Bluesky UK Astronomy 5 June 16th 04 04:15 PM
USA Needs Glasses BobZ Amateur Astronomy 20 September 12th 03 12:09 PM