Moon Earliest Mention

Old December 8th 03, 03:23 AM
Asimov

Default Moon Earliest Mention

Hi,

I'm curious about the earliest archeological evidence in which the
Earth's Moon is described in any fashion, either drawing, carving, etc.

.... New restaurant on the moon: Great food, no atmosphere.

Old December 8th 03, 04:09 AM
[email protected] \(formerly\)

Dear Asimov:

"Asimov" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm curious about the earliest archeological evidence in which the
Earth's Moon is described in any fashion, either drawing, carving, etc.

*Geological* evidence is about 1 Gy, in the tidal rhythmites.

David A. Smith

Old December 8th 03, 08:51 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Asimov
writes
Hi,

I'm curious about the earliest archeological evidence in which the
Earth's Moon is described in any fashion, either drawing, carving, etc.

There are Native American pictures which are supposed to show the Moon,
and there are Old World Neolithic objects which are thought to show a
lunar calendar.
Have you tried a Google or other search?
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old December 8th 03, 04:18 PM
John Oliver

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

In message , Asimov
writes

Hi,

I'm curious about the earliest archeological evidence in which the
Earth's Moon is described in any fashion, either drawing, carving, etc.

There are Native American pictures which are supposed to show the Moon,
and there are Old World Neolithic objects which are thought to show a
lunar calendar.
Have you tried a Google or other search?

There is a pictograph in Chaco Canyon that depicts a crescent,
presumably the moon, though the connection to the 1054 supernova has
been questioned.

Old December 9th 03, 01:10 AM
OG

"Asimov" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm curious about the earliest archeological evidence in which the
Earth's Moon is described in any fashion, either drawing, carving, etc.

According to Dr Michael Rappenglueck at University of Munich, cave paintings
at Lascaux in France dating back to 15000 years ago show a calendar of the
phases of the moon.

I've also seen pictures of a lunar calendar scratched on bone or reindeer
horn, but I've no idea of age or location.

Old December 9th 03, 06:12 AM
Asimov

"OG" bravely wrote to "All" (09 Dec 03 01:10:15)
--- on the heady topic of " Moon Earliest Mention"

OG From: "OG"
OG Subject: Moon Earliest Mention
OG Xref: aeinews sci.astro:10174

OG "Asimov" wrote in
OG message ...
Hi,

I'm curious about the earliest archeological evidence in which the
Earth's Moon is described in any fashion, either drawing, carving, etc.

OG According to Dr Michael Rappenglueck at University of Munich, cave
OG paintings at Lascaux in France dating back to 15000 years ago show a
OG calendar of the phases of the moon.
OG http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/975360.stm

15,000 years? So hypothetically there is no proof the Moon was
orbiting the Earth say as early as 100,000 years ago, is there?
Supposing the Moon was a recently (geological time) captured Apollo
asteroid, how long would it have taken to have a synchronous
rotation and orbit? For example looking at a big object like
Shoemaker/Levy-9 it took only 1 year to slam into Jupiter after its
initial passage through the Solar System.

.... "Eet ees an event...SOCIOLOGICAL!" --Dr. Lacombe: Close Encounters

Old December 9th 03, 08:21 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Asimov
writes
[...]

My apologies. I thought you were asking a serious question, but you're
just another net kook.
As David Smith pointed out, _geological_ evidence shows that the moon
was raising tides a thousand million years ago, and we can use the
evidence of the rocks to work out the length of the day and the month,
and hence the actual distance of the Moon.
BTW, the Moon is about a thousand times the diameter (so a thousand
million times the mass) of an Apollo asteroid and it isn't in
synchronous orbit. The idea that it was captured just doesn't work. Ever
hear of the "Big Splat"?
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old December 9th 03, 06:52 PM
Asimov

"Jonathan Silverlight" bravely wrote to "All" (09 Dec 03 08:21:05)
--- on the heady topic of " Moon Earliest Mention"

JS From: Jonathan Silverlight
JS
[...]

JS My apologies. I thought you were asking a serious question, but you're
JS just another net kook.
JS As David Smith pointed out, _geological_ evidence shows that the moon
JS was raising tides a thousand million years ago, and we can use the
JS evidence of the rocks to work out the length of the day and the month,
JS and hence the actual distance of the Moon.
JS BTW, the Moon is about a thousand times the diameter (so a thousand
JS million times the mass) of an Apollo asteroid and it isn't in
JS synchronous orbit. The idea that it was captured just doesn't work.
JS Ever hear of the "Big Splat"?
JS --
JS Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
JS Remove spam and invalid from address to reply.

So there is billion year old geological evidence of Lunar tides? Thanks!
I didn't intend to mean it had a synchronous orbit only the rotation.
The "Big Splat" is certainly one hypothesis among many various others.
As we know another is that the Earth and Moon were both created at the
same time in the same general vicinity. Also aren't the Apollo's
perhaps the remains of a larger body which existed, maybe even a
byproduct of the "Big Splat"?

BTW do you have any friends left, as your social graces seem lacking?!
Unlike yourself I don't write just to see my name in print world wide.
Here I am only trying to satisfy a natural curiosity and probing of
accepted axioms and you assassinate my intentions. Call me ignorant if
it makes you feel better and I won't argue but my question was
"hypothetical", didn't you read that word at the start of my query?

.... Slow chaos is better than no chaos.

Old December 9th 03, 08:26 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Asimov
writes

BTW do you have any friends left, as your social graces seem lacking?!
Unlike yourself I don't write just to see my name in print world wide.
Here I am only trying to satisfy a natural curiosity and probing of
accepted axioms and you assassinate my intentions. Call me ignorant if
it makes you feel better and I won't argue but my question was
"hypothetical", didn't you read that word at the start of my query?

Sorry! I tell myself I shouldn't post when I'm grumpy, but then I go and
do it and usually regret it later.
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old December 9th 03, 10:54 PM
OG

"Asimov" wrote in message . ..
"OG" bravely wrote to "All" (09 Dec 03 01:10:15)
--- on the heady topic of " Moon Earliest Mention"

I'm curious about the earliest archeological evidence in which

the
Earth's Moon is described in any fashion, either drawing, carving, etc.

OG According to Dr Michael Rappenglueck at University of Munich, cave
OG paintings at Lascaux in France dating back to 15000 years ago show a
OG calendar of the phases of the moon.
OG http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/975360.stm

15,000 years? So hypothetically there is no proof the Moon was
orbiting the Earth say as early as 100,000 years ago, is there?

What?

What does hypothetically mean in your sentence?

There IS evidence of lunar/tidal effects, but you were asking for
drawings/carvings etc.

As has been said, there is evidence of tidal effects in the geological
record from 1GY ago.

There is also circumstancial evidence in terms of dependence of tidal
effects in the reproductive cycle of turtles. These appear to be
ancient rather than recent.

On the other hand there is NO evidence for a recent acquisition of the
moon.

Please explain your theory. Any idiot can propose any crackpot idea;
if you want a reasoned response, please give us good a reason why we
should give you brainspace.

Thanks