NASA proposes artificial magnetic field to make Mars a second home

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 9th 17, 04:50 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
S Ergio

Default NASA proposes artificial magnetic field to make Mars a secondhome

On 3/9/2017 10:21 AM, Rodney Pont wrote:
On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 08:47:55 -0600, S Ergio wrote:

but the L1 is not in the path of Sun to Mars, where particles go. It is
at L1 way out of the way, 60 degrees off.
diagram here;
http://www.spaceacademy.net.au/libra...s/lagrangp.htm

According to Wikipedia L1 is between Mars and the Sun;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rangian_points

and I thought L1 was always the one between the two bodies.

you are right, guess I was thinking L4 or L5,

[I make mistake, first of the year, that I know of...]

L1 would be effective

mars is 92,900,000 miles from the sun and L1 was stated as 655,000 miles
out, or 0.7% of the way.

if you double the effective radius from L1, the magnetic field, the
partical would be exposed to the mag field for about 7 seconds from the sun.

I think the magnetic field drops off as d^(-3) nearby L1, but is d^(-2)
after a ways out.

the other problem is a magnetic field generator at L1, will alter paths
of sun generated cosmic rays, charged particals, but will they be
deflected away from Mars, or focus them on mars, or have little effect.
think of orentation of the field to incoming particals, seems like it
would need to be like earths, NS out of the galactic plane

some information here too
https://www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education/FAQs6.html