JimO does TV later today

Old July 1st 04, 07:39 PM
Harald Kucharek

Default JimO does TV later today

Mary Shafer wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:34:01 -0700, Mary Shafer
wrote:

We saw you. You did a nice job, particularly when asked a dumb
question. I was glad I'm Jim Oberg.

The Los Angeles Times should consult Jim O now and then. Big headline
on today's paper "NASA Satellite Orbits Jupiter".

How far from JPL are the offices of the LA Times? Time for a drive-by
shooting...

Old July 1st 04, 07:42 PM
Alex R. Blackwell

Mary Shafer wrote:

The Los Angeles Times should consult Jim O now and then. Big headline
on today's paper "NASA Satellite Orbits Jupiter".

LOL. What would we do without some of our illustrious mainstream
"science reporters"?

I'm reminded of some of the inane questions from yesterday's Cassini
Pre-SOI news conference. John Noble Wilford, Pulitzer Prize-winning
science reporter from The New York Times (National Reporting, 1984),
could not understand why Cassini's Saturn-relative velocity is higher at
the end of the SOI burn (viz., "I thought Cassini was *slowing* down!").
And, of course, let's not forget the "Sage of CNN," Miles O'Brien, who
wanted to know why, without using orbital mechanics in the explanation,
mind you, Cassini had to pass through Saturn's ring plane. If I were Bob
Mitchell, I would have stated that Earth, too, passes through the Saturn
ring plane ;-)

--

Alex R. Blackwell
University of Hawaii

Old July 1st 04, 08:25 PM
Bruce Palmer

JimO wrote:
Thanks, Bruce.

Actually, Becky is a columnist for the Wall Street Journal, and no bimbo.

Sometimes we all realize we have to ask the kinds of questions
that most viewers would think about.

Had there been more than 3 minutes, I'd have talked more about orientation
options,
and used my hands a lot more.

But going into the segment I already knew how much time
I DIDN'T have, and what had to be touched on,
so I had to touch on the topic and then drop it.

That's why they pay me the big bucks -- I don't get
bogged down in details except when it's an all-night radio talk show.

LOL. Well then, my apologies to Becky for calling her a bimbo. I
suppose I should have looked up her bio on the web or something. But
who does _that_? Bimbos don't seem like the type that would be at the
top of WSJ's hiring list.

In some small way you sorta got screwed with the spacewalk and SOI on
the same day. You could have had _two_ gigs instead of one. Damn
spacesuits...

--
bp
Proud Member of the Human O-Ring Society Since 2003
Old July 2nd 04, 12:55 AM
Hop David

JimO wrote:

But I like to have the option to occasionally see the image
to find out what other graphics are appearing, and what
my title is supposed to be (one CNN show even had
me as 'General Oberg').

CNN kept saying Cassini was sending back its "first pictures". They
seemed unaware that it sent back a lot of photos prior to SOI. That's
not as bad as the Los Angeles Times though.

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old July 2nd 04, 12:48 PM
LaDonna Wyss

"JimO" wrote in message ...
"G.Beat" wrote
Caught the "bullseye" show .... they had video of Cassini fly-by and the

ISS
spacewalk as Jim was talking about Cassini fly-by (video director must be

from NBC
sports)

Glad everybody had as much fun as I did.

It is a VERY GOOD RULE not to watch the monitor
when you're on camera, the time delay can reduce even
the most disciplined mind to a gibbering, stuttering drooler.

But I like to have the option to occasionally see the image
to find out what other graphics are appearing, and what
my title is supposed to be (one CNN show even had
me as 'General Oberg').

If I really NEED a specific picture, I make a hardcopy and hold it up.

By the way, just in case you wondered, I was also
well dressed below the waist as well as above. Sometimes
for comfort it's just shorts and beach flip-flops, which gets a lot of
stares when you stop at the convenience store on the way up
for a snack.

Given my recent experiences, I must say I have a new-found respect for
those who do television interviews. They are WORK! Although in some
ways, doing so live has to be a little better than tape--you don't
have all those "takes." (It's pressure either way, I know.)
They kept telling me it gets different when the camera is pointed at
you, and I scoffed. Well, it does. :-)
Kudos to you.
LaDonna
Old July 2nd 04, 02:07 PM
EAC

"JimO" wrote in message ...
Thanks, Bruce.

Actually, Becky is a columnist for the Wall Street Journal, and no bimbo.

She's definetly not a baby (the meaning of the Italian word "bimbo").

Anyway. No female deserve to be ridicule, even if she's a columnist
for the Wall Street Journal.

Sigh. Bad mouthing, name calling, ridiculing, and so on. Obviously,
Cassini isn't the only one who needs attitude adjustment.

In terms of intelligence, there are three kind of people: dumb people,
smart people, and 'smart' people. Dumb people and smart people don't
make a big deal about their intelligence and others, want to guess on
which kind of people some of the people here are?
Old July 2nd 04, 09:10 PM
Jeff Findley

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
As for "dumb", "smart", and "'smart'" people: I think we can all
agree that every one of us blurs that line sometimes. "Dumb" people
can be surprisingly "smart" at times, and "smart" people can be
incredibly "dumb" at times. Unfortunately, usually people live up to
our expectations of them, so if we expect them to be "dumb", they will
be. Conversely, if we expect them to be "smart", they will be as
well.
And then are those exceptions that prove the above rule...

My rule is that smart people can successfully act dumb, but dumb people have
an awfully hard time trying to act smart.

Jeff

Old July 2nd 04, 09:57 PM
Mike Combs

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

My rule is that smart people can successfully act dumb, but dumb people

have
an awfully hard time trying to act smart.

I once heard James Cameron express a similar opinion while commenting on
Mary-Elizabeth Mastrontonio's role in "The Abyss". He said that with all
due respect to Cliff Roberts (Charly) and Dustin Hoffman (Rainman), playing
well below your own IQ was a lot easier than playing well above it.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Gerard O'Neill - "The High Frontier"

Old July 3rd 04, 08:41 AM
Revision

"Alex R. Blackwell"

I'm reminded of some of the inane questions from yesterday's Cassini
Pre-SOI news conference. John Noble Wilford, Pulitzer Prize-winning
science reporter from The New York Times (National Reporting, 1984),
could not understand why Cassini's Saturn-relative velocity is higher

at
the end of the SOI burn (viz., "I thought Cassini was *slowing*

down!").

Hardly inane.

And, of course, let's not forget the "Sage of CNN," Miles O'Brien, who
wanted to know why, without using orbital mechanics in the explanation,
mind you, Cassini had to pass through Saturn's ring plane.

What is the answer, Dr Genius?

If I were Bob
Mitchell, I would have stated that Earth, too, passes through the

Saturn
ring plane ;-)

Too clever. Not what he meant to say, was it?

Alex R. Blackwell
University of Hawaii

Wise ass.