JimO does TV later today

Old June 30th 04, 08:00 PM
JimO

Default JimO does TV later today

I'll be doing two TV appearances late this afternoon for
my prime client, NBC News. The subject is the Cassini
probe arrival at Saturn (almost seven years en route)
and the repair spacewalk from the space station
(aborted last week when they found an oxygen leak).

Here's the current plan (both on cable shows):
MSNBC Lester Holt show, 5:45 EDT
CNBC 'Bulls Eye" show, 6:40 EDT.

Both spots will be 3-4 minutes long.

Jim

www.jamesoberg.com

Old July 1st 04, 12:11 AM
Gary Coffman

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:52:49 GMT, Bruce Palmer wrote:
JimO wrote:
I'll be doing two TV appearances late this afternoon for
my prime client, NBC News.

snip
Glad I tuned in early. You were _done_ by 5:45 on MSNBC! Most
memorable moment was when you said something re. ISS and the bimbo said,
"Yeah!", stretching the word into about 3 syllables. Then you mentioned
the gyroscopes and she asked, "That affects the steering, right?"

That was hilarious.

Gary
Old July 1st 04, 01:34 AM
Mary Shafer

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:00:58 GMT, "JimO"
wrote:

I'll be doing two TV appearances late this afternoon for
my prime client, NBC News. The subject is the Cassini
probe arrival at Saturn (almost seven years en route)
and the repair spacewalk from the space station
(aborted last week when they found an oxygen leak).

Here's the current plan (both on cable shows):
MSNBC Lester Holt show, 5:45 EDT
CNBC 'Bulls Eye" show, 6:40 EDT.

Both spots will be 3-4 minutes long.

We saw you. You did a nice job, particularly when asked a dumb
question. I was glad I'm Jim Oberg.

Mary

Old July 1st 04, 03:02 AM
G.Beat

"JimO" wrote in message
I'll be doing two TV appearances late this afternoon for
my prime client, NBC News. The subject is the Cassini
probe arrival at Saturn (almost seven years en route)
and the repair spacewalk from the space station
(aborted last week when they found an oxygen leak).

Here's the current plan (both on cable shows):
MSNBC Lester Holt show, 5:45 EDT
CNBC 'Bulls Eye" show, 6:40 EDT.

Both spots will be 3-4 minutes long.

Jim

www.jamesoberg.com

Caught the "bullseye" show .... they had video of Cassini fly-by and the ISS
spacewalk as
Jim was talking about Cassini fly-by (video director must be from NBC
sports)

gb

Old July 1st 04, 04:54 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Bruce Palmer" wrote in message
. net...
Then you mentioned
the gyroscopes and she asked, "That affects the steering, right?"

The appropriate response would have been: "As well as left, up *and* down."
_That_ would have reduced her to Britney Spears.

Old July 1st 04, 05:31 AM
Alan Erskine

"Bruce Palmer" wrote in message
. net...
Glad I tuned in early. You were _done_ by 5:45 on MSNBC! Most
memorable moment was when you said something re. ISS and the bimbo said,
"Yeah!", stretching the word into about 3 syllables. Then you mentioned
the gyroscopes and she asked, "That affects the steering, right?"

Somebody actually said that?

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old July 1st 04, 05:50 AM
Bruce Palmer

Alan Erskine wrote:
"Bruce Palmer" wrote in message
. net...

Glad I tuned in early. You were _done_ by 5:45 on MSNBC! Most
memorable moment was when you said something re. ISS and the bimbo said,
"Yeah!", stretching the word into about 3 syllables. Then you mentioned
the gyroscopes and she asked, "That affects the steering, right?"

Somebody actually said that?

Oh yes. She sort of had it right... sort of. The average viewer can
probably relate to that better than stability and pointing. Jim O
gently corrected her. The CNBC spot was much better.

--
bp
Proud Member of the Human O-Ring Society Since 2003
Old July 1st 04, 01:56 PM
JimO

Thanks, Bruce.

Actually, Becky is a columnist for the Wall Street Journal, and no bimbo.

Sometimes we all realize we have to ask the kinds of questions
that most viewers would think about.

Had there been more than 3 minutes, I'd have talked more about orientation
options,
and used my hands a lot more.

But going into the segment I already knew how much time
I DIDN'T have, and what had to be touched on,
so I had to touch on the topic and then drop it.

That's why they pay me the big bucks -- I don't get
bogged down in details except when it's an all-night radio talk show.

Old July 1st 04, 02:01 PM
JimO

"G.Beat" wrote
Caught the "bullseye" show .... they had video of Cassini fly-by and the

ISS
spacewalk as Jim was talking about Cassini fly-by (video director must be

from NBC
sports)

Glad everybody had as much fun as I did.

It is a VERY GOOD RULE not to watch the monitor
when you're on camera, the time delay can reduce even
the most disciplined mind to a gibbering, stuttering drooler.

But I like to have the option to occasionally see the image
to find out what other graphics are appearing, and what
my title is supposed to be (one CNN show even had
me as 'General Oberg').

If I really NEED a specific picture, I make a hardcopy and hold it up.

By the way, just in case you wondered, I was also
well dressed below the waist as well as above. Sometimes
for comfort it's just shorts and beach flip-flops, which gets a lot of
stares when you stop at the convenience store on the way up
for a snack.

Old July 1st 04, 07:15 PM
Mary Shafer

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:34:01 -0700, Mary Shafer
wrote:

We saw you. You did a nice job, particularly when asked a dumb
question. I was glad I'm Jim Oberg.

The Los Angeles Times should consult Jim O now and then. Big headline
on today's paper "NASA Satellite Orbits Jupiter".

Mary