NASA-speak on sensor glitch

Old July 19th 05, 03:10 AM
Dr. P. Quackenbush

"Ian Woollard" wrote in message
I'm sure they just 'Earth' (or is it spacecraft? :-) ) one end by
connecting it to the tank wall, to provide the return path. Then they
provide current to it down the wire, and measure the current. The tank
wall is fairly thick aluminum and a very good conductor.

Dr. P. Quackenbush wrote:
That's not how it works.

"Ian Woollard" wrote in message

Really? Do you have a source for that claim?

Yes. I'm looking at it right now. NASA document title "Sensors and
Electronics, LH2/LO2 Point Level, ECO". The sensor heads appear to be self
contained and their power supplies are external and well described. The
internal circuits are described as "point sensor transducers".

If I had to guess a bit, I'd say each end of the platinum wire is connected
to a pin in the sensor head. The wire loop is used as a thermometer. Run
some current through it, measure the voltage, and pass that through the
transducer. The result will be different when wet vs dry.

Old July 20th 05, 12:05 AM
Rick Nelson

richard schumacher wrote:
http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/st...716ecographic/

Also, look for fractures in the flex circuits.

OK, I guess we should just shut down NASA and try to start over from
square one. How much would that help the economy? And the Defense
Department. What a bunch of crazy again *******s living in the sixties
thinking "they know how to do it"..

"If we could sequentailly upgrade the B-52's - it should be a child's
game to sequentially upgrade the Scuttles." Yeah, but NASA's budget is
9 billion and the DoD's budget is uhhnn (might as well NASA's budget
into the DoD's) almost 790 billion in the last year (including the
"wars" in Iraq and Afganistan.)

I'm also for shutting down the CIA and restarting it based on an OPEN
SOURCED information model - that would make their intelligence 200% more
accurate. But, since China uses this model so effectively, I doubt if
any Republicans would choose to go with what obviously works better than
Secret World Police advancing hyper-capitalism and creating extreme
hatred of Amerca around the globe.

Old July 20th 05, 12:11 AM
Rick Nelson

richard schumacher wrote:
http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/st...716ecographic/

Also, look for fractures in the flex circuits.

I kind of think there is some assembly code somewhere (probably in the
multi-ples/de-multiplex "black box I guess they can't replace those
chips since they were mostly made by Fairchild in the early 70's..

Instead of paying a billion dollars to replace foam - I think NASA
should have admitted it is just crap engineers left over from the Cold
War.. I'd bet we could outsource NASA to the well-educated 30 years old
space engineers in Russia and make a manned mission to Mars possible in
the next five years.

Go Figure - Republican Rule - total waste

Rick
Old July 20th 05, 02:07 AM
Burnham Treezdown

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:11:58 -0400, Rick Nelson
wrote:

I'd bet we could outsource NASA to the well-educated 30 years old
space engineers in Russia and make a manned mission to Mars possible in
the next five years.

Go Figure - Republican Rule - total waste

Riding the cotton pony again, Rick?

Why don't you just move to Russia and live happily ever after in your
prosperous proletarian paradise? We'll ALL feel much better.
Old July 20th 05, 02:59 PM
Jeff Findley

"Rick Nelson" wrote in message
richard schumacher wrote:
http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/st...716ecographic/

Also, look for fractures in the flex circuits.

OK, I guess we should just shut down NASA and try to start over from
square one. How much would that help the economy? And the Defense
Department. What a bunch of crazy again *******s living in the sixties
thinking "they know how to do it"..

"If we could sequentailly upgrade the B-52's - it should be a child's
game to sequentially upgrade the Scuttles." Yeah, but NASA's budget is
9 billion and the DoD's budget is uhhnn (might as well NASA's budget
into the DoD's) almost 790 billion in the last year (including the
"wars" in Iraq and Afganistan.)

DOD's overall budget is irrelevant. How much of that is being spent each
year to maintain and upgrade the B-52's? I'm sure it's far less than $800
billion per year.

Jeff

Old July 22nd 05, 01:00 AM
Rick Nelson

Yeah, but over the 50 year plus life cycle of the huge fleet of B-52's
the DoD has certainly paid much more than the fraction of the
accumulated NASA budget for the Shuttle project of 5 4 3 units over less
than 30 years. You must be losing brain cells by listening to that
insane fat A-HOLE: limpbag blimphead limbaugh?

Get a brain, Jeff.

Old July 22nd 05, 01:05 AM
Rick Nelson

Well Burnham,

I guess you didn't read the news in the last five years. Can you read?
Did you get to go to a technical institute based on your intellectual
capacity (as measured by the state)? Or were you always in "Special
Classes"..?

You're pretending to be a fool - you don't post your real identity and
you blind and fake the track back to your real email address. I guess I
must doubt your sincerity when it comes to telling the Truth about anything.

Thanks,

Old July 22nd 05, 01:13 PM
David Ball

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:00:40 -0400, Rick Nelson
wrote:

Yeah, but over the 50 year plus life cycle of the huge fleet of B-52's
the DoD has certainly paid much more than the fraction of the
accumulated NASA budget for the Shuttle project of 5 4 3 units over less
than 30 years.

B-52s Built: 744
B-52s Remaining: 94 (all B-52H's which were delivered in 1961 and
1962)

Those things have been being cannibalized and destroyed for decades,
much of the reason being that the air-force didn't have the money to
do the upgrades the planes needed to stay in the air. Later, some were
destroyed because of the 1991 START treaty with Russia.

-- David

Old July 22nd 05, 03:49 PM
Jeff Findley

"Rick Nelson" wrote in message
Yeah, but over the 50 year plus life cycle of the huge fleet of B-52's
the DoD has certainly paid much more than the fraction of the
accumulated NASA budget for the Shuttle project of 5 4 3 units over less
than 30 years.

At least this is a bit closer to comparing apples to apples than your inital
comparison.

You must be losing brain cells by listening to that
insane fat A-HOLE: limpbag blimphead limbaugh?

My personal opinion about "limbaugh" isn't important here. But for the
record, I'd like to see him rot in jail.

Jeff

Old July 22nd 05, 06:24 PM
Burnham Treezdown

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:05:55 -0400, Rick Nelson
wrote:

Well Burnham,

I guess you didn't read the news in the last five years. Can you read?
Did you get to go to a technical institute based on your intellectual
capacity (as measured by the state)?

What kind of person relies upon "the state" to determine their
intellectual capacity, societal worth, or self-esteem? Why should
anyone depend upon "the state" to provide their destiny, their
livelihood, or their personal happiness? And why should personal
contentment (or discontentment) be so dependent upon who's doing what
in Washington?

You blame your anger on others, but regardless of whoever's in power,
you will always find somebody else to blame for your own
discontent....the predicament of someone without the fortitude to be
his own man and must always rely on "others" to provide him favorable
circumstances to function in. Get a life. Or go live in a
state-controlled land, or join a cult.

You're pretending to be a fool

At least you credit me with only pretending.

- you don't post your real identity and
you blind and fake the track back to your real email address.

Too many nutjobs on the internet.

I guess I
must doubt your sincerity when it comes to telling the Truth about anything.

That's up to you - free country, you know.