NASA Names New Astronaut Class on Space Day

Old April 29th 04, 08:00 PM
Ron

Default NASA Names New Astronaut Class on Space Day

Melissa Mathews/Dwayne Brown
Headquarters, Washington April 29, 2004
(Phone: 202/358-1272/1726)

Doug Peterson
Johnson Space Center, Houston
(Phone: 281/244-8406)

NOTE TO EDITORS: 04-061

NASA NAMES NEW ASTRONAUT CLASS ON SPACE DAY

The next generation of explorers is here. NASA will
announce a new class of astronaut candidates, including three
educator astronauts, May 6.

The announcement is part of the Space Day celebration at the
National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in
Chantilly, Va. The program begins at 9:30 a.m. EDT and will
be broadcast live on NASA Television.

Speakers include NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe, Director of
the National Air and Space Museum Gen. John Dailey, former
Senator John Glenn, current and former astronauts.

The Space Day theme is "Blazing Galactic Trails," and that is
just what this astronaut class will do. It is made up of
pilots, engineers, researchers, and educators who will focus
their careers on fulfilling the Vision for Space Exploration.
During their NASA careers, members of the 2004 astronaut
class may help develop the Crew Exploration Vehicle, study
the effects of microgravity on the human body, and possibly
help plan the first lunar missions. The class begins training
this summer at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

Media interested in attending Space Day should contact
Kathleen Hanser (202/633-2375) or Peter Golkin (202/633-2374)
of the National Air and Space Museum. Media can also RSVP to
the event via email at:

.

NASA TV will also feed video of the astronaut class beginning
at noon EDT May 6. The Video File will include sound bites
and b-roll of the class members. Biographies and still photos
of the astronaut candidates will be available at:

http://www.nasa.gov

NASA TV is available on AMC-9, transponder 9C, C-Band,
located at 85 degrees west longitude. The frequency is 3880.0
MHz. Polarization is vertical, and audio is monaural at 6.80
MHz. For information about NASA TV on the Internet, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

For information about astronauts, how they are selected, and
how they train, visit:

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/people/astronauts.html

Information about the Educator Astronaut Program is available
on the Internet at:

http://education.nasa.gov/divisions/...verview/F_path
finder_edu_astronaut.html

Space Day 2004 is the culmination of a yearlong education
initiative for middle school students. For information about
Space Day 2004 on the Internet, visit:

http://www.spaceday.org

-end-
Old April 29th 04, 08:39 PM
JimO

msnbc (Oberg) -- NASA selects new class of astronauts
Sources say agency is contacting candidates, but will first post-Columbia
group ever fly on shuttle?
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4704179

MSNBC.COM EXCLUSIVE
By James Oberg, NBC News space analyst
Special to MSNBC
Updated: 7:26 p.m. ET April 09, 2004

HOUSTON - NASA has completed its selection of the next class of
astronaut candidates, and is now telephoning the selectees to confirm their
interest in moving to Houston, sources familiar with the selection process
have told MSNBC.com.

Old April 30th 04, 03:38 AM
Stuf4

....which reminds me that I have yet to receive full answers to the
journalism standards questions posted he

http://tinyurl.com/2wu8t
. com]

~ CT
Old April 30th 04, 11:42 AM
Kirk Kittell

It sounds like they'll be similar to the last group of astronauts
chosen during the Apollo era. I think Mike Collins refers to them as
the "Excess Eleven" in Carrying the Fire since they were selected to
fly missions that were scheduled only in a best-case scenario. I
think that scenario included more than ten Apollo and Apollo
Applications, later Skylab, missions per year from the Cape. History
notes that few of those eleven and the previous nineteen ended up
making it into space.

That is, it's hard to imagine that all of the current and
soon-to-be-announced astronauts will be working aboard the shuttle.
That's a lot of intense, expensive training that could be put to
waste, depending on the readiness of a next-generation U.S. manned
launch vehicle.

Old April 30th 04, 03:44 PM
jeff findley

Bruce Palmer writes:
The next generation of explorers is here. NASA will
announce a new class of astronaut candidates, including three
educator astronauts, May 6.

Educator astronauts. Oh no, not again.

What's up with that? Unless they're planning to send them up for long
duration missions on ISS I don't see the point. I thought the new
policy was that the Shuttle is still a development vehicle. I'm all for
getting kids excited about spaceflight, but this Teacher in Space
program has always struck me as a dog and pony show.

The class also includes three Japanese astronauts. No doubt they are
hoping for ISS missions so they can perform experiments in the
Japanese module on ISS. Unfortunatly, if the ISS crew size stays at
three, the possibility that they will have an extended stay on ISS
(beyond the length of a visiting shuttle or Soyuz flight), is very
small.

So, nearly half of these new astronauts were selected for political
reasons (educaotr astronauts) or to satisfy a foreign partner
(Japanese astronauts). As for the remaining eight, I'd say they have
a snowball's chance in a blast furnace that they'll fly on the shuttle
or Soyuz. There are simply too many other astronauts "ahead of them
in line".

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old April 30th 04, 05:08 PM
triples

It sounds like they'll be similar to the last group of
astronauts chosen during the Apollo era. I think Mike
Collins refers to them as the "Excess Eleven" in Carrying
the Fire since they were selected to fly missions that
were scheduled only in a best-case scenario. I think that
scenario included more than ten Apollo and Apollo
Applications, later Skylab, missions per year from the
Cape. History notes that few of those eleven and the
previous nineteen ended up making it into space.

Better note-takers than I are probably typing a response
simultaneously with mine, but most of the X/S 11 did fly -
and multiple times. Such as Story Musgrave; they were
exceedingly patient.

They were also very flexible people - they were military
test pilots, scientists, etc. All of them (that could excel
at basic pilot training) could go on to fly. If the new
class includes several people that do not have advanced
degrees they may not fit into the new space program.

That is, it's hard to imagine that all of the current and
soon-to-be-announced astronauts will be working aboard the
shuttle. That's a lot of intense, expensive training that
could be put to waste, depending on the readiness of a
next-generation U.S. manned launch vehicle.

Certainly most of the Shuttle flight opportunities are
evaporating as we speak - of course this is likely to change
some after the election, etc. But the expected steady flow
of astronauts flying in the Shuttle is almost certainly
history.

We will now increasingly depend on the Russian Soyuz to get
Americans into orbit - and we will spend money on the older
Russian vehicles instead of newer American vehicles.

Charles Phillips
"Drink Upstream Of The Herd, Get A Macintosh"
note feeble anti-spam attempt on Reply-To address
Old May 1st 04, 02:28 AM
Jorge R. Frank

jeff findley wrote in
:

As for the remaining eight, I'd say they have
a snowball's chance in a blast furnace that they'll fly on the shuttle
or Soyuz.

The MSes, maybe. The pilots have a better chance, I think. The astronaut
office has fewer qualified pilots/commanders than would be apparent at a
quick glance; many of the ones in management positions will probably never
fly again.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old May 1st 04, 04:24 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
jeff findley wrote in
:

As for the remaining eight, I'd say they have
a snowball's chance in a blast furnace that they'll fly on the shuttle
or Soyuz.

The MSes, maybe. The pilots have a better chance, I think. The astronaut
office has fewer qualified pilots/commanders than would be apparent at a
quick glance; many of the ones in management positions will probably never
fly again.

Oh, but I here Mr. Young (who is no longer that) is ready to fly any day
now. :-)

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.