Jupiter & questions on its Spin???

Old January 25th 09, 11:05 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_2_]

Default Jupiter & questions on its Spin???

On Jan 25, 2:01*pm, (G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:
To Ya All(Fl Talk) *I find it interesting that the large gas planets
spin on average 3 times faster than rock planets. That needs explaining.
little Pluto takes 6 Earth days to make one turn *around. Venus spins at
a fast walk etc. * Anyone got a reason.? If not I will post mine in two
days. * * * * * * * * * i think Mercury takes about 59 Earth days. *I
have a gut feeling I got the right answer *TreBert

Perhaps the large planets were formed from larger swirls of dust and
gas than what formed the Earth. With more gravity, they contracted
more and spun up more.

Double-A

Old January 26th 09, 12:40 AM posted to alt.astronomy
BradGuth

On Jan 25, 3:05*pm, Double-A wrote:
On Jan 25, 2:01*pm, (G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:

To Ya All(Fl Talk) *I find it interesting that the large gas planets
spin on average 3 times faster than rock planets. That needs explaining..
little Pluto takes 6 Earth days to make one turn *around. Venus spins at
a fast walk etc. * Anyone got a reason.? If not I will post mine in two
days. * * * * * * * * * i think Mercury takes about 59 Earth days. *I
have a gut feeling I got the right answer *TreBert

Perhaps the large planets were formed from larger swirls of dust and
gas than what formed the Earth. *With more gravity, they contracted
more and spun up more.

Double-A

That sounds about right, except Venus is in retrograde and somewhat
directly 19 month tidal locked to Earth. Is that weird, or what?

~ BG
Old January 26th 09, 08:57 PM posted to alt.astronomy
BradGuth

On Jan 26, 11:56*am, bladeslinger wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:01:28 -0500, (G=EMC^2

Glazier) wrote:
To Ya All(Fl Talk) *I find it interesting that the large gas planets
spin on average 3 times faster than rock planets. That needs explaining.
little Pluto takes 6 Earth days to make one turn *around. Venus spins at
a fast walk etc. * Anyone got a reason.? If not I will post mine in two
days. * * * * * * * * * i think Mercury takes about 59 Earth days. *I
have a gut feeling I got the right answer *TreBert

well, Mercury is tidally locked with the sun, that's why it takes 59
days, as that's about the same as it's orbit.

Perhaps Mercury will eventually go retrograde, like Venus, although
never tidal locked to Earth like Venus.

~ BG
Old January 28th 09, 09:46 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius Painius is offline
Banned

"Double-A" wrote in message...
On Jan 25, 2:01 pm, (G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:

To Ya All(Fl Talk) I find it interesting that the large gas planets
spin on average 3 times faster than rock planets. That needs explaining.
little Pluto takes 6 Earth days to make one turn around. Venus spins at
a fast walk etc. Anyone got a reason.? If not I will post mine in two
days. i think Mercury takes about 59 Earth days. I
have a gut feeling I got the right answer TreBert

Perhaps the large planets were formed from larger swirls of dust and
gas than what formed the Earth. With more gravity, they contracted
more and spun up more.

Double-A

If i'm correct about how the planet material escaped from
the Sun, then the protoSun would have been spinning very
fast for material to be "spit out" of the protoSun's equator.
At that point in time, the protoSun's spin would slow down.
Then it would condense some more and increase its spin.
When the protoSun's spin got fast enough again, it spewed
out more material. This happened enough times to account
for all the planets and their orbital distances from the Sun.

The spins of the gas giants are too similar to the asteroid
spin rates for their huge size difference to have been much
of a factor. So the asteroids and the gas giants are pretty
much spinning at the same rates they had nearly 4.5 billion
years ago. There has been little if any loss of angular
momentum, for the most part.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Indelibly yours,
Paine Ellsworth

P.S.: "The current best fit model which has an accelerating
expansion gives a maximum distance we can see of
47 billion light years." Ned Wright

P.P.S.: http://astronomy.painellsworth.net
http://yummycake.secretsgolden.com
http://garden-of-ebooks.blogspot.com

Old January 28th 09, 09:52 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius Painius is offline
Banned

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote...
in message ...

To Ya All(Fl Talk) I find it interesting that the large gas planets
spin on average 3 times faster than rock planets. That needs explaining.
little Pluto takes 6 Earth days to make one turn around. Venus spins at
a fast walk etc. Anyone got a reason.? If not I will post mine in two
days. i think Mercury takes about 59 Earth days. I
have a gut feeling I got the right answer TreBert

The large planets spin about the same rates on the average
as the small asteroids. This tells us that their size made no
difference from the beginning, Bert. So, for the most part,
the asteroids and gas giants are spinning at about the same
speeds as they were spinning back nearly 4.5 billion years
ago.

It's my opinion that Venus is slowly tidal-locking with the
Sun. It spins in the opposite direction than all the other
planets, probably because the tidal-locking process involves
some oscillations before a planet's rotation "locks in".

Mercury's rotation is about 59 days, as you say, and its
orbital period around the Sun is about 88 days. So it's also
in a slow process of tidal-locking to the Sun.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

Old January 28th 09, 09:58 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius Painius is offline
Banned

news
Glazier) wrote:

To Ya All(Fl Talk) I find it interesting that the large gas planets
spin on average 3 times faster than rock planets. That needs explaining.
little Pluto takes 6 Earth days to make one turn around. Venus spins at
a fast walk etc. Anyone got a reason.? If not I will post mine in two
days. i think Mercury takes about 59 Earth days. I
have a gut feeling I got the right answer TreBert

well, Mercury is tidally locked with the sun, that's why it takes 59
days, as that's about the same as it's orbit.

Astronomers did once believe that Mercury was tidal-
locked to the Sun, bladeslinger, but this is no longer the
case. The spin rate of Mercury indeed is about 59 days,
however Mercury's orbital period around the Sun is
about 88 days. And these two, the orbital period and
the spin rate, would have to be the same, they would
have to be *equal*, for Mercury to be tidally locked
with the Sun.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

Old January 28th 09, 01:00 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Painius Even with the theory that Uranus was hit hard and is tipped on
its side so bad that a winter lasts 21 years it still turns completely
around in just over17 hours. I often wondered if that great collision
created its surrounding rings and several satellites. I love looking at
its great north pole snow cap that has a size of a third of Uranus
surface TreBert

Old January 28th 09, 01:14 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Painius Mercury is only 28 million miles(closest) from the sun fifes
we'll having its slow rotation.Amazing at its furthest distance from the
Sun you have to add 22 million miles,and that is one hell of a lot. Kind
of relates to a comet on a much smaller frame of reference. As close
as it is Venus is still hotter On the news Earth warming now needs
government action TreBert

Old January 28th 09, 06:30 PM posted to alt.astronomy
BradGuth

Painius wrote:
"Double-A" wrote in message...
[...]

Good freaking grief, our sun spit nothing out. However, Sirius B of 5
to 7 solar mass is what let any number of planets and moons go on
their marry way.

Don't you know anything?

~ BG

Jupiter & questions on its Spin??? G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 25 January 15th 09 11:32 PM
What if (on spin) G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 8 August 16th 08 05:00 PM
Spin Is In Double-A[_1_] Misc 1 June 13th 07 01:42 PM
Spin Spud UK Astronomy 1 May 23rd 04 10:47 AM
PC23C (Video camera) and Jupiter, Success but Questions W. Watson Amateur Astronomy 2 March 11th 04 01:10 PM