An American Colony on Mars!

Old July 20th 09, 03:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Adam

Default An American Colony on Mars!

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 20:58:05 -0500, Marvin the Martian wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 18:48:53 -0400, Adam wrote:

The mentality I am addressing is: humankind is necessarily going to
render uninhabitable the only place we have known how to live.
Therefore, we need another place to make a mess.

No one is making you go to Mars. By all means, stay here and take part in
a giga-person scale Darwin award. Someone with such a hateful view of
humanity should be glad to be exterminated.

How is mine the hateful view of humanity?

I suggested that the motivation for people wanting to go elsewhere is
that they have given up on the bulk of humanity.

You confirmed it:
Look, the fundamental problem facing humanity is that while our
technology is growing at a rapid pace, our wisdom is in decline. More and
more governments, even individuals, are learning how to inflict a
gigadeath event upon humanity. It is just a matter of time before
someone does.

And your solution to the "fundamental problem" of
The human species is dragged forward, kicking and screaming, into
a technological future that most of the species cannot handle

Is to leave. Thanks for nothing!

In that view, Not only is part of humanity doomed; they are "less
than" because you described that part of humanity as "bad apples".

If the "good apples" leave, they would seem to be the ones with the
hateful view of humanity.

The only real issue you seem to have is that you don't want anyone
surviving. I suggest you go for an early Darwin award, since then it
won't matter to you.

No, I'm suggesting that if those who know how to fix it leave, it
won't get fixed.

Doing anything in space is at enormous expense for the benefit of some
chosen few is an elitist, selfish, and perhaps hateful approach.

--
Adam

Old July 23rd 09, 06:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Marvin the Martian

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 22:38:44 -0400, Adam wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 20:58:05 -0500, Marvin the Martian wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 18:48:53 -0400, Adam wrote:

The mentality I am addressing is: humankind is necessarily going to
render uninhabitable the only place we have known how to live.
Therefore, we need another place to make a mess.

No one is making you go to Mars. By all means, stay here and take part
in a giga-person scale Darwin award. Someone with such a hateful view of
humanity should be glad to be exterminated.

How is mine the hateful view of humanity?

That's my subjective conclusion, based on the fact that you stated you'd
rather see humans become extinct rather than "foul" a dead planet like
Mars by colonizing it and bringing it back to life.

I suggested that the motivation for people wanting to go elsewhere is
that they have given up on the bulk of humanity.

And you don't want them to go anywhere else and "foul" it up. You believe
humans to be a dirty species, apparently. That's not just foolish and
ignorant, but reflects a certain sociopathic view.

Old July 25th 09, 01:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Adam

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:38:31 -0500, Marvin the Martian wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 22:38:44 -0400, Adam wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 20:58:05 -0500, Marvin the Martian wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 18:48:53 -0400, Adam wrote:

The mentality I am addressing is: humankind is necessarily going to
render uninhabitable the only place we have known how to live.
Therefore, we need another place to make a mess.

No one is making you go to Mars. By all means, stay here and take part
in a giga-person scale Darwin award. Someone with such a hateful view of
humanity should be glad to be exterminated.

You not only wish to hasten my demise, you want to scoff at it as
being worthy of a Darwin Award?

What a cordial fellow!

How is mine the hateful view of humanity?

That's my subjective conclusion, based on the fact that you stated you'd
rather see humans become extinct

Where did I "state" that?

rather than "foul" a dead planet like
Mars by colonizing it and bringing it back to life.

Bring it "back to life"? Do you have credible evidence that there was
once life on Mars?

I suggested that the motivation for people wanting to go elsewhere is
that they have given up on the bulk of humanity.

And you don't want them to go anywhere else and "foul" it up.

I'd prefer that we clean up our act here.Then we won't *need* to go
anywhere else. We might *want* to go somewhere else at that point, but
it wouldn't be because we were pushed off the planet by a fear-based
notion that some "rotten apple" is going to make this world
uninhabitable.

The latter was your conclusion, as I recall.

It is not uncommon to tell children, "Clean up your room before you go
out to play."

Might that not be fitting for the species?

You believe humans to be a dirty species, apparently.

Do you know of a species that doesn't create waste? Humans make sewage
treatment plants, land fills, and recycling centers. That would make
humans less "dirty" than others, I would think.

That's not just foolish and
ignorant, but reflects a certain sociopathic view.

0 for 3.

You believe that the "rotten apples" will *deserve* Darwin Awards.

And you invited me to obtain an early one.

Who is the hateful one in this discussion?

I noticed in another thread your tendency to accuse others of being
hateful. Perhaps there is a projection problem here.

Let's cut to the chase:

When you are on Mars and all the "rotten apples" whom you left behind
on Earth receive their deserved Darwin Award, how cordial is it going
to be in the "colony" where all the "best eggs" have gone?

Was the species saved, or were the problems moved?

Or suppose the colony on Mars thrives, as does life on Earth. Space
travel becomes trivial. Do you suppose there won't be interplanetary
war?

What was gained by going to Mars?

Gen 1:28
And God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply,
and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea
and over the birds of the sky, and over every living thing that moves
on the earth."

Earth was mentioned twice by name. No mention of Mars.

--
Adam