Henry Spencer has tunnel vision

Old July 22nd 09, 02:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

Default Henry Spencer has tunnel vision

Actually, lava tubes. Seems to be his latest thing on the aRocket email
list. References:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1993004784.pdf
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1993008225.pdf

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old July 22nd 09, 02:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
Actually, lava tubes. Seems to be his latest thing on the aRocket email
list. References:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1993004784.pdf
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1993008225.pdf

On the general subject of lava tubes, they probably don't exist on the
Moon - it's been pummelled into dust for several km's depth.

Old July 22nd 09, 07:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
Actually, lava tubes. Seems to be his latest thing on the aRocket email
list. References:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1993004784.pdf
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1993008225.pdf

On the general subject of lava tubes, they probably don't exist on the
Moon - it's been pummelled into dust for several km's depth.

I've got to call b.s. on this. Have you looked at any of the pictures from
the Apollo EVA's? The moon is most certainly not dust down to several km's
in depth.

As far as lava tubes go, the evidence to date is analysis of photographs
from lunar orbiters. Suspected lava tubes would make excellent landing
sites for future manned lunar missions.

Here is a quote from the second PDF (page 248, according to Acrobat):

We conclude that lava tubes were formed on the Moon and
that the probability of finding an intact, open tube segment that
would be suitable for housing a permanent lunar base is quite high.

Jeff

Old July 22nd 09, 11:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

I've got to call b.s. on this. Have you looked at any of the pictures
from the Apollo EVA's? The moon is most certainly not dust down to
several km's in depth.

I didn't say dust - just not solid enough for a lava tube. Have a look at
the pictures of the Moon - it's not solid; the evidence is against the claim
for lava tubes existing.

Here is a quote from the second PDF (page 248, according to Acrobat):

We conclude that lava tubes were formed on the Moon and
that the probability of finding an intact, open tube segment that
would be suitable for housing a permanent lunar base is quite high.

They may have formed, but I doubt the still exist. NASA's own tests of
seismic results from Apollo say the Moon is unconsolidated for several km,
so there is clearly a difference of opinion even within NASA.

Old July 22nd 09, 11:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_3_]

Alan Erskine wrote:
I didn't say dust - just not solid enough for a lava tube.

FWIW, my news server would seem to disagree

From: "Alan Erskine"
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: Henry Spencer has tunnel vision
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:47:22 GMT

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
Actually, lava tubes. Seems to be his latest thing on the aRocket email
list. References:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...4_1993004784.p
df
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...5_1993008225.p

df

On the general subject of lava tubes, they probably don't exist on the
Moon - it's been pummelled into dust for several km's depth.

--
I don't interest myself in "why". I think more often in terms of
"when", sometimes "where"; always "how much." - Joubert
Old July 23rd 09, 11:39 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Rick Jones" wrote in message
Alan Erskine wrote:
I didn't say dust - just not solid enough for a lava tube.

FWIW, my news server would seem to disagree

Well, nevertheless, they probably don't exist; for the reason stated.

Old July 23rd 09, 01:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...930004784_1993...
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...930008225_1993...

On the general subject of lava tubes, they probably don't exist on the
Moon - it's been pummelled into dust for several km's depth.

True, leaving many tens of meters in a crystal dry depth of a highly
electrostatic charged dust to deal with. However, the mineral
saturated basalt is still an extremely tough substance that could
contain hollow geodes worth of usable habitats (especially at depths
greater than a few km), and of the interior below this unusually thick
crust that's of a somewhat lower density could be offering extensive
voids.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG / “Guth Usenet”
Old July 23rd 09, 01:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Jul 22, 11:14*am, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:
[...]

Look at those original metric mapping images from Apollo 15, 16 and
17, and especially those having a low solar angle. There's lots of
tunnel indications.

Apollo Image Atlas / Metric Image Catalog, missions 15, 16, 17
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/ap...atalog/metric/

~ BG
Old July 23rd 09, 01:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Jul 22, 3:07*pm, "Alan Erskine" wrote:
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

I've got to call b.s. on this. *Have you looked at any of the pictures
from the Apollo EVA's? *The moon is most certainly not dust down to
several km's in depth.

I didn't say dust - just not solid enough for a lava tube. *Have a look at
the pictures of the Moon - it's not solid; the evidence is against the claim
for lava tubes existing.

Here is a quote from the second PDF (page 248, according to Acrobat):

* We conclude that lava tubes were formed on the Moon and
* that the probability of finding an intact, open tube segment that
* would be suitable for housing a permanent lunar base is quite high.

They may have formed, but I doubt the still exist. *NASA's own tests of
seismic results from Apollo say the Moon is unconsolidated for several km,
so there is clearly a difference of opinion even within NASA.

Until we get seismic 3D mapping data (such as from LUNAR A), we're
kind of screwed.

~ BG
Old July 23rd 09, 04:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Rick Jones" wrote in message
Alan Erskine wrote:
I didn't say dust - just not solid enough for a lava tube.

FWIW, my news server would seem to disagree

Well, nevertheless, they probably don't exist; for the reason stated.

Then how do you explain the photographic evidence to the contrary?

Jeff