Mars Colony hours, minutes, seconds

Old February 2nd 04, 10:58 AM
Fidcal

Default Mars Colony hours, minutes, seconds

Seems to me that once permanent colonies are set up on Mars,
Moon, etc. they will not want 24 hours 40 minutes in a day local
time. Might I suggest 10 hours a (Martian) day, 100 minutes an
hour, and 100 seconds a minute. This would give 100,000 seconds
a day which is of the same order as the 86,400 Earth seconds a
day, so a minute will be a little faster; an hour around twice
as long.

This method would also be more efficient for Earth time. But the
differences in the size of hours, minutes and seconds, between
planets, would still be a great problem. But if instead,
standard units are adopted then you have the problem of an
uneven number of units in the days of other planets. I don't see
how this can be resolved happily.
Old February 2nd 04, 04:00 PM
Greg Neill

"Fidcal" wrote in message
Seems to me that once permanent colonies are set up on Mars,
Moon, etc. they will not want 24 hours 40 minutes in a day local
time. Might I suggest 10 hours a (Martian) day, 100 minutes an
hour, and 100 seconds a minute. This would give 100,000 seconds
a day which is of the same order as the 86,400 Earth seconds a
day, so a minute will be a little faster; an hour around twice
as long.

This method would also be more efficient for Earth time. But the
differences in the size of hours, minutes and seconds, between
planets, would still be a great problem. But if instead,
standard units are adopted then you have the problem of an
uneven number of units in the days of other planets. I don't see
how this can be resolved happily.

It would be a tremendously bad thing to put in place a different
minute and hour length. Assuming continuing trade and ongoing
business between Earth and Mars, imagine the foul-ups that
could occur with different time units being used.

Someone orders a flow pump rated at a thousand cubic meters
per hour - Whose hour?

In space, accuracy is essential. Inaccuracy is deadly. The
landing port tells you to fire your retros in exactly two
point seven three minutes. Whose minutes?

Hey, a one hour TV show on Mars would last two hours. Imagine
the horror of two hour long episodes of the Lawrence Welk show.

After the French Revolution, their think-tank boys thought
a decimal time system would be just the thing to go along
with the rest of metrification. It was a tremendous flop.