Ares-1 zombie to rise again?

Old August 22nd 11, 02:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

Default Ares-1 zombie to rise again?

In article _7edneynI7Bmz8
hdakotatelephone,
says...

Frankly, I don't think this is going to happen:
http://blog.al.com/space-news/2011/0...y-lift_ro.html

No thank you! Ares I was, and still is, the dumbest idea ever for a
launch vehicle.

Jeff
--
" Solids are a branch of fireworks, not rocketry. :-) :-) ", Henry
Spencer 1/28/2011
Old August 22nd 11, 04:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Nomen Nescio

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
Frankly, I don't think this is going to happen:
http://blog.al.com/space-news/2011/0...y-lift_ro.html

The answer to SLS is Falcon X or even Falcon XX.

But it's unlikely to happen as Congress is comprised of a bunch of
corrupt crooks who take bribes and payoffs from Boeing and LockMart.

Old August 22nd 11, 05:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Frankly, I don't think this is going to happen:
http://blog.al.com/space-news/2011/0...y-lift_ro.html

Pat
Old August 22nd 11, 07:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 23/08/2011 1:04 AM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
"Pat wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
Frankly, I don't think this is going to happen:
http://blog.al.com/space-news/2011/0...y-lift_ro.html

The answer to SLS is Falcon X or even Falcon XX.

But it's unlikely to happen as Congress is comprised of a bunch of
corrupt crooks who take bribes and payoffs from Boeing and LockMart.

coward
Old August 22nd 11, 07:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 22/08/2011 11:36 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article_7edneynI7Bmz8
hdakotatelephone,
says...

Frankly, I don't think this is going to happen:
http://blog.al.com/space-news/2011/0...y-lift_ro.html

No thank you! Ares I was, and still is, the dumbest idea ever for a
launch vehicle.

Jeff

Couldn't agree more. I'd question the independence, reasoning and
knowledge of someone making such a claim as Dr. Pace. It seems more
like Dubya's party and NASA having a say in policy that good economic
sense.

Dr Pace states that a lot of work was done on Ares 1. True, but none of
it was effective at producing an LV that could economically compete with
Delta IV Heavy. Not to mention all the added vibration (due to thrust
occillation) that was one of the main reasons the Ares 1 was cancelled.

Old August 22nd 11, 11:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 8/22/2011 7:04 AM, Nomen Nescio wrote:

But it's unlikely to happen as Congress is comprised of a bunch of
corrupt crooks who take bribes and payoffs from Boeing and LockMart.

Probably ATK in this case, plus a lot of Shuttle-related NASA employees
who want to keeps its infrastructure... and their jobs.
Of course Liberty is now the thing, as then you don't have to develop a
new second stage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2cnmxH9Hbg
It will all be so simple... ;-)

Pat

Old August 23rd 11, 03:47 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Aug 22, 4:30*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

It will all be so simple... ;-)

Well, if the Ariane _second_ stage is reliable enough, perhaps.
Although indeed I didn't think one SRB from the Shuttle would have
enough oomph for this sort of thing.

I really am inclined, in my naivete, to prefer a kerosene (RP-1)/
oxygen first stage. Those didn't blow up and kill Apollo astronauts -
solid boosters did blow up and kill Shuttle astronauts.

1) Build a new, modern equivalent to the F-1 engine from the Saturn V.

2) Put seven of them, in a hexagon, instead of five, at the bottom of
the booster.

3) Do like the original Atlas did: release some of the rocket motors
when the tanks are nearly empty, so that the first stage is a "stage
and a half".

As for the second stage, liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen engines
exist, whether from Ariane or the Space Shuttle Main Engines. They
haven't thrown the plans and tooling for _those_ away like they did
for the F-1, did they?

Anyways, seven F-1s on a "stage and a half" is significantly improved
performance over the Saturn V main stage, and given Robert Zubrin's
mission plan for a manned Mars landing that only needs a Saturn V,
this should be all the heavy-lift vehicle America needs to do just
about anything it wants.

John Savard
Old August 23rd 11, 05:00 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Mike DiCenso

On Aug 22, 6:36*am, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article _7edneynI7Bmz8
,

http://blog.al.com/space-news/2011/0..._heavy-lift_ro....

No thank you! *Ares I was, and still is, the dumbest idea ever for a
launch vehicle. *

You're just still upset because the Ares I-X flew just fine, and met
most of it's flight objectives.
-Mike
Old August 23rd 11, 05:23 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 23/08/2011 8:30 AM, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 8/22/2011 7:04 AM, Nomen Nescio wrote:

But it's unlikely to happen as Congress is comprised of a bunch of
corrupt crooks who take bribes and payoffs from Boeing and LockMart.

Probably ATK in this case, plus a lot of Shuttle-related NASA employees
who want to keeps its infrastructure... and their jobs.
Of course Liberty is now the thing, as then you don't have to develop a
new second stage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2cnmxH9Hbg
It will all be so simple... ;-)

Pat

Pat, don't feed the troll.
Old August 23rd 11, 09:10 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 8/22/2011 8:00 PM, Mike DiCenso wrote:
You're just still upset because the Ares I-X flew just fine, and met
most of it's flight objectives.

Considering that its flight objectives were to get off the pad intact,
go into the air, and dump something off the nose, that wasn't any too
challenging of an accomplishment.
They should have just skipped it, and waited till the five segment
booster was ready.
That at least would have had some relation to the actual launch vehicle;
the way it was done, it was of very little use in developing the real
Ares-1.

Pat