Recommendations for beginner telescope

Old August 13th 03, 03:35 AM
gethin

Default Recommendations for beginner telescope

I'm looking for something inititally for looking at mars, but I'll be
looking at nebulae and galaxies too later on. I was hoping to spend
about 500-600AUD (about 300US). I'd really appreciate some suggestions
(even about types would help)
Geth
Old August 13th 03, 04:51 AM
Starlord

Please Read This First:

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"gethin" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking for something inititally for looking at mars, but I'll be
looking at nebulae and galaxies too later on. I was hoping to spend
about 500-600AUD (about 300US). I'd really appreciate some suggestions
(even about types would help)
Geth

---

Old August 13th 03, 06:56 PM
bwhiting

Looking for something more? I have a 24 f4 (Nova -optics) portable
truss type for sale.....Really sees Mars great!! Also great on DSO's
......near photographic quality on Whirlpool, M-13, 27, whatever.
But it's not a 'beginners' scope and it certainly is more than 300
USD....more like 5995 USD. Just a thought. Scope was replaced by a
30 inch portable truss, and is only 6 years old.
Clear Skies,
Tom Whiting

Old August 13th 03, 07:28 PM
Phil Wheeler

bwhiting wrote:
Looking for something more? I have a 24 f4 (Nova -optics) portable
truss type for sale.....Really sees Mars great!! Also great on DSO's
.....near photographic quality on Whirlpool, M-13, 27, whatever.
But it's not a 'beginners' scope and it certainly is more than 300
USD....more like 5995 USD. Just a thought. Scope was replaced by a
30 inch portable truss, and is only 6 years old.

Tom,

Reflecting on an earlier post re keeping our economy healthy, I applaud
your consumtion and it's benefit to the rest of us!

Sounds like a case of "aperture fever" g; how long will 30" be enough?

Phil

Old August 14th 03, 07:35 PM
Wade A. Hilmo

After you read the below FAQ so that you understand what's important in a
telescope, check out the following link for a nice 6" DOB at $249 with 2
nice Plossl eyepieces:

http://modernthought.com/dsh6.html

I just bought one of these a few week ago, and am very pleased with it. I
have several other (and larger) scopes, but this is by far the best
bang-for-the-buck scope I've ever had. I keep it out on my back deck during
stretches of nice weather so it's always right there. Just this morning, I
took a 5 minute break on the way out of the house when I noticed Mars right
above the trees. The 9mm eyepiece that came with it gave me a very nice
view. The early morning air was very stable, and there was plenty of detail
visible - a great way to begin the day.

Good luck in your search,
-Wade

"Starlord" wrote in message
Please Read This First:

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning
lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go
again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

om...

Old August 14th 03, 08:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Wade A. Hilmo" wrote in message
After you read the below FAQ so that you understand what's important in a
telescope, check out the following link for a nice 6" DOB at $249 with 2
nice Plossl eyepieces:

http://modernthought.com/dsh6.html

I just bought one of these a few week ago, and am very pleased with it. I
have several other (and larger) scopes, but this is by far the best
bang-for-the-buck scope I've ever had. I keep it out on my back deck

during
stretches of nice weather so it's always right there. Just this morning,

took a 5 minute break on the way out of the house when I noticed Mars

right
above the trees. The 9mm eyepiece that came with it gave me a very nice
view. The early morning air was very stable, and there was plenty of

detail
visible - a great way to begin the day.

snip

I would add that the same scope in an 8'' is only $50.00 more and gathers a
lot more then $50 of light. It's worth the step up.

BV.

Old August 14th 03, 09:18 PM
Jon Isaacs

I would add that the same scope in an 8'' is only $50.00 more and gathers a
lot more then $50 of light. It's worth the step up.

BV.

That would be my choice.

jon
Old August 14th 03, 09:23 PM
Wade A. Hilmo

I totally agree that the 8" is worth the extra $50.

I got the 6" because it is quite a bit smaller (just the right height for my
7 year old son, who will be the primary user). Also, I already have an 8"
SCT (and will be picking up my new 14" CGE-1400 at Oregon Star Party in two
weeks - I'm meeting the vendor I bought it from there.)

I don't think that you can go wrong with either the 6" or 8" Deep Space
Hunter. If portability is an issue, you might want to see a 6" and 8" in
person before deciding.

Thanks,
-Wade

Old August 15th 03, 10:35 AM
Rich McMahon

Geth

If you can swing it the 8" f6 dob would be the way to go. If not the
6" f8 dob would be a good stable platform to start out with. As posted
below if its only 50.00 more for the 8" id save my up and get it. The
8 will give you better resolution on the planets and let you see
galaxies and nebula that would otherwise be invisible or very faint to
you.

Best of luck

Rich