Help - Using a Minolta camera with my telescope

Old September 5th 03, 02:32 PM
RadioFreq

Default Help - Using a Minolta camera with my telescope

I have a Minolta 400SI and the T-adapter with ring for use with my Meade
LX-90 Telescope.

I have tried to photograph Mars, but the camera Shutter Release Button will
not activate. I have the camera set on manual mode with the lens off. This
puts the camera in manual focus mode. I have the speed set to 1 second with
the intension of increasing the time as I take pictures. I am also using the
timer function, so I wouldn't get any camera shake.

What am I missing?

Why is the camera not releasing the shutter?

Thanks
John

Old September 5th 03, 05:00 PM
G.P

"RadioFreq" wrote in message
. net...
I have a Minolta 400SI and the T-adapter with ring for use with my Meade
LX-90 Telescope.

I have tried to photograph Mars, but the camera Shutter Release Button

will
not activate. I have the camera set on manual mode with the lens off. This
puts the camera in manual focus mode. I have the speed set to 1 second

with
the intension of increasing the time as I take pictures. I am also using

the
timer function, so I wouldn't get any camera shake.

What am I missing?

Why is the camera not releasing the shutter?

Manufactures like Nikon, for instance, make sure than there is backward
compatibility between old manual lenses and new camera bodies, it may be
that your Minolta camera is meant to use just AF lenses and the case could
be that even if you select manual focus and manual exposure, your camera
still expects a mounted lens. Do this: remove the camera from the scope,
remove the T-adapter, mount a lens, set it to manual focus and manual
exposure, press the shutter (it should work, if it doesn't, your camera is
malfunctioning), then remove the lens and press the shutter again, if it
doesn't fire, your camera probably needs a lens mounted for the shutter to
work, if it actually fires, mount the T-adapter and try again, if it doesn't
fire your T-adapter is to blame, if it fires, it means you need to set it in
manual focus yourself and not just remove the lens and assuming it is in
manual focus.

Guillermo

Old September 5th 03, 05:09 PM
Magnus W

"RadioFreq" wrote in
. net:

Why is the camera not releasing the shutter?

You need to disable the lens mount check.

Press and hold Drive Mode and AV buttons simulaneously and move the power
switch from LOCK to ON. Now the camera can be released whether a lens is
mounted or not. Repeat the procedure to turn on the lens mount check again
(it is not needed and I always remove it on my cameras).

The camera will remember this setting, so you only need to do it once.
Old September 5th 03, 05:13 PM
RadioFreq

Thanks, I'll try it and let you know the results.

John

"Magnus W" wrote in message
. ..
"RadioFreq" wrote in
. net:

Old September 5th 03, 05:13 PM
RadioFreq

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

John

"G.P" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

. net...

Old September 6th 03, 03:58 PM
RadioFreq

"RadioFreq" wrote in message
. net...
Thanks, I'll try it and let you know the results.

John

"Magnus W" wrote in message
. ..
"RadioFreq" wrote in
. net:

Why is the camera not releasing the shutter?

You need to disable the lens mount check.

Press and hold Drive Mode and AV buttons simulaneously and move the

power
switch from LOCK to ON. Now the camera can be released whether a lens is
mounted or not. Repeat the procedure to turn on the lens mount check

again
(it is not needed and I always remove it on my cameras).

The camera will remember this setting, so you only need to do it once.

Well, It work without film loaded. Once I loaded film, Kodak MAX 400 film
into the camera, I had the same problem. The camera didn't allow the shutter
the fire.

Do I need faster film?
What speed should I have?

Thanks
John

Old September 7th 03, 06:19 PM
Magnus W

"RadioFreq" wrote in
k.net:

Well, It work without film loaded. Once I loaded film, Kodak MAX 400
film into the camera, I had the same problem. The camera didn't allow
the shutter the fire.

The film is probably not loaded correctly. Try to reload it.

Do I need faster film?

No.
Old September 8th 03, 05:48 AM
RadioFreq

"Magnus W" wrote in message
. ..
"RadioFreq" wrote in
k.net:

Well, It work without film loaded. Once I loaded film, Kodak MAX 400
film into the camera, I had the same problem. The camera didn't allow
the shutter the fire.

The film is probably not loaded correctly. Try to reload it.

Do I need faster film?

No.

No, The film is loaded properly. I have had the camera for six years, and
film speed then?

John

Old September 9th 03, 12:52 PM
Magnus W

"RadioFreq" wrote in
k.net:

The film is probably not loaded correctly. Try to reload it.

Do I need faster film?

No.

No, The film is loaded properly. I have had the camera for six years, and

I can't help you, there should be no difference with or without film
loaded. Are you sure it is still possible to take a shot without anything
mounted? You only have to do the operation once, not every time you start
the camera.

So my problem is not with the
film speed then?

No, I can't see a reason for that.
Old September 9th 03, 05:10 PM
RadioFreq

"Magnus W" wrote in message
. ..
"RadioFreq" wrote in
k.net:

The film is probably not loaded correctly. Try to reload it.

Do I need faster film?

No.

No, The film is loaded properly. I have had the camera for six years,

and

I can't help you, there should be no difference with or without film
loaded. Are you sure it is still possible to take a shot without anything
mounted? You only have to do the operation once, not every time you start
the camera.

So my problem is not with the
film speed then?

No, I can't see a reason for that.

It seems that without film loaded, I can activate the shutter release. Now,
only when the film is loaded, the camera does not allow the shutter to
release. So... I guess have to figure out why the camera will let me release
the shutter without the film loaded as opposed to having the film loaded.

John