Station Solar Panel Joint Shavings

Old October 29th 07, 04:33 AM posted to sci.space.station
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default Station Solar Panel Joint Shavings

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/1....ap/index.html

Basic scoop, upon inspection of the 10' diameter rotational joint on the
"right" side of that station has a lot of metal shavings in it.

Good thing we have a spare and plenty of extra launches in case this is a
serious problem. Oh wait, we don't.

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Old October 29th 07, 08:43 AM posted to sci.space.station
[email protected][_2_]

Good thing we have a spare and plenty of extra launches in case this is a
serious problem. Oh wait, we don't.

The astronauts have spare parts for the joint with them in orbit. They
have EVA equipment to replace it even after the Space Shuttle leaves.
The only problem is when they have to replace all the joints in all
the solar panels with something totally new because of a design flaw...

Old October 29th 07, 11:34 AM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley

wrote in message
ps.com...

Good thing we have a spare and plenty of extra launches in case this is a
serious problem. Oh wait, we don't.

The astronauts have spare parts for the joint with them in orbit. They
have EVA equipment to replace it even after the Space Shuttle leaves.
The only problem is when they have to replace all the joints in all
the solar panels with something totally new because of a design flaw...

Many of the lessons learned (or that could be learned, but won't due to cuts
in funding) from ISS won't be applied any time soon because they won't
necessarily be needed for Apollo on Steroids.

Jeff
--
"When transportation is cheap, frequent, reliable, and flexible,
everything else becomes easier."

Old October 29th 07, 02:46 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:43:10 -0000, "
wrote:

Good thing we have a spare and plenty of extra launches in case this is a
serious problem. Oh wait, we don't.

The astronauts have spare parts for the joint with them in orbit.

No, they don't.

Brian
Old October 29th 07, 05:13 PM posted to sci.space.station
Anthony Frost

wrote:

Good thing we have a spare and plenty of extra launches in case this is a
serious problem. Oh wait, we don't.

The astronauts have spare parts for the joint with them in orbit.

No, they don't.

News reports disagree with you.

Anthony

Old October 29th 07, 11:35 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley

"Anthony Frost" wrote in message

wrote:

Good thing we have a spare and plenty of extra launches in case this
is a
serious problem. Oh wait, we don't.

The astronauts have spare parts for the joint with them in orbit.

No, they don't.

News reports disagree with you.

Which news reports are those? I've been reading Florida Today's coverage of
this issue. They've said that an extra day will likely be added to the
mission so that there is time before the last EVA to plan for a detailed
inspection of the problem alpha joint. Also, they'd like to take a quick
look at another of the alpha joints to see if it's suffering the same
problem.

I've seen no mention of spare parts, let alone mention of any sort of repair
attempt.

Jeff

Old October 30th 07, 12:32 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:13:17 +0100, Anthony Frost
wrote:

The astronauts have spare parts for the joint with them in orbit.

No, they don't.

News reports disagree with you.

Yes, I saw that after I posted. For the life of me, I can't figure out
where those spare parts would be, though. I won't be surprised if we
later learn that, oh yes, some replacement parts will have to come up
on a future mission, probably 123.

If necessary, how quickly could S6 be readied for launch, if it turns
out the S3/S4 SARJ is toast and replacement parts will be a long time
coming? Could they have it ready to fly on 123 instead of JEM?

Brian
Old October 30th 07, 02:57 AM posted to sci.space.station
Mike Ross[_2_]

wrote:

The astronauts have spare parts for the joint with them in orbit.

No, they don't.

News reports disagree with you.

Yes, I saw that after I posted. For the life of me, I can't figure out
where those spare parts would be, though. I won't be surprised if we
later learn that, oh yes, some replacement parts will have to come up
on a future mission, probably 123.

If necessary, how quickly could S6 be readied for launch, if it turns
out the S3/S4 SARJ is toast and replacement parts will be a long time
coming? Could they have it ready to fly on 123 instead of JEM?

Brian

If the shavings come from one (of twelve) Trundle Bearing Assemblies, it's a
pretty small ORU and could go up on a Progress.

Mike Ross

Old October 30th 07, 07:51 AM posted to sci.space.station
Anthony Frost

wrote:

Good thing we have a spare and plenty of extra launches in case this
is a
serious problem. Oh wait, we don't.

The astronauts have spare parts for the joint with them in orbit.

No, they don't.

News reports disagree with you.

Which news reports are those? I've been reading Florida Today's coverage of
this issue. They've said that an extra day will likely be added to the
mission so that there is time before the last EVA to plan for a detailed
inspection of the problem alpha joint. Also, they'd like to take a quick
look at another of the alpha joints to see if it's suffering the same
problem.

A quick look back last night didn't trigger an accurate memory as to
the original source, but the impression I got from the reports was that
a kit of spares had been part of the cargo for this flight anyway. They
are going to look at one of the other joints today to see if it is
showing the same symptoms but there are no plans to fit a replacement
bearing during the current visit. It will be left for the station crew
to fix it at a later date.

Anthony

Old October 30th 07, 01:17 PM posted to sci.space.station
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:

Good thing we have a spare and plenty of extra launches in case this is a
serious problem. Oh wait, we don't.

The astronauts have spare parts for the joint with them in orbit.

No, they don't.

Brian

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/1....ap/index.html

did you even read the OP's article? ;p

i'm 100% sure they have spare parts of the items that can be used at
multiple locations.. cables and bolts and other stuff, this might be
one of those.