Interesting New Book

Old January 5th 04, 11:49 AM
Book Reviews

Default Interesting New Book

Below are details of a new book that may be of interest.
(Also check out
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...866/etrex09-21 )

BOOK TITLE:
Why We Exist: Inferences from Science for an Explanation of Human Purpose

AUTHOR: Eugene D. Bell-Gam

PUBLISHER: Pen Press Publishers

ISBN NUMBER: 1-904018-86-6

EXTRACT FROM BACK COVER:

"How did the universe and life come about?
Why is it all so orderly and yet so flawed?
Why does life exist?
What purpose are we serving?
Where did our life force come from?
Where does it go when we die? "

EXTRACT FROM BOOK PREFACE:

"We are living in an era of growing uncertainty and insecurity that is
challenging all our beliefs and assumptions. In these troubled times it is
crucial that we acquire some understanding of just who we are as a
species, why we exist and how best we may order our lives and societies
within the universal scheme of things. This book draws on current scientific
evidence to present a possible explanation for our existence."

INDEX TO CONTENTS:

Preface

1. INTRODUCTION
Timeless Questions, Shifting Answers
Crisis and Contradiction
Conflicting Indoctrination
Importance of the Debate

2. RELIGION ON ORIGIN
What is Religion?
Early Accounts of Origin
Creation Science
Common Ground with Science

3. SCIENCE ON ORIGIN PART 1: THE UNIVERSE
What do we mean by Science?
Astronomy
Cosmology
Big-Bang Theory
Problems with Big-Bang
More Missing Pieces
Where is it all heading?
Common Ground with Religion

4. SCIENCE ON ORIGIN PART 2: LIFE
Evolution
Darwinism
Impact of Modern Genetics
Problems with Evolution
Evolution, Religion & Social Science
Mounting Controversy
What Next?

5. FOCUSING ON PURPOSE
Why restrict Inquiry?
Is it all a futile exercise?
Modern Design Science
Wrong Assumptions

6. THE SOLAR LABORATORY THEORY
An Expendable Experiment
Recording Mechanisms - Memory
Timing Mechanisms
Sleep
Dreaming
Memory Consolidation and Storage
Memory Retrieval
Consciousness and The Mind-Brain
Death
Quantum Unreality
Influencing Mechanisms

7. IMPLICATIONS OF THE THEORY
The Role of Free Will
The Good-Evil Paradox
Morality and Religion
The Problem with Religion
Morality outside Religion
Chances of Intervention
False Security

8. DEVELOPMENTS

9. FURTHER READING

AVAILABILITY:
- All major bookstores in the UK
- Online at:
www.amazon.co.uk
www.whsmith.co.uk
www.thebookstore.co.uk
www.tesco.com/books

- British Library; Welsh & Scottish National Libraries
- University Libraries at Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Dublin
- UK Local Authority Libraries