Daily Report 3619

Old May 26th 04, 12:04 AM

Default Daily Report 3619

DAILY REPORT # 3619

PERIOD COVERED: DOY 145

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS 9476

Galaxy Evolution in the Richest Clusters at z=0.8: the EDisCS Cluster
Sample

The study of distant cluster galaxies requires two key ingredients:
{1} deep high-resolution imaging, to constrain galaxy structure; and
{2} 8m-class spectroscopy, to measure stellar content, star-formation
rates, dynamics, and cluster membership. We will reach both conditions
with the addition of HST/ACS imaging to our suite of VLT {36 nights}
and NTT {20 nights} observations of 10 confirmed clusters at z~0.8,
drawn from the ESO Distant Cluster Survey {EDisCS}. The proposed
HST/ACS data will complement our existing optical/IR imaging and
spectroscopy with quantitative measures of cluster galaxy morphologies
{i.e. sizes and shapes, bulge-disk decompositions, asymmetry
parameters}, and with measurements of cluster masses via weak lensing.
Major advantages unique to the EDisCS project include: {i} uniform
selection of clusters; {ii} large enough sample sizes to characterize
the substantial cluster-to-cluster variation in galaxy populations;
{iii} large quantities of high quality data from 8m telescopes; {iv}
uniform measurements of morphologies, spectroscopic and photometric
redshifts, SEDs, star-formation/AGN activities, and internal
kinematics; {v} optical selection of clusters to complement the X-ray
selection of almost all high-z clusters in the ACS GTO programs; {vi}
forefront numerical simulations designed specifically to allow
physical interpretation of observed differences between the high-z and
local clusters.

ACS/HRC 9733

Direct imaging of the progenitors of massive, core-collapse supernovae

Modern supernovae searches in the nearby Universe are discovering
large numbers of SNe which have massive star progenitors {Types II, Ib
and Ic}. The extensive HST {and ground-based} image archives of
galaxies within ~20Mpc enables their individual bright stellar content
to be resolved. As massive, evolved stars are the most luminous single
objects in a galaxy, the progenitors of core-collapse SNe should be
directly detectable on pre-explosion images. Within the last two
cycles we have set direct mass-limits on three type II-P supernovae
using HST images, and already these can be used to constrain
theoretical models of pre-supernova stellar evolution which predict
which stars cause which of the supernovae types. We request time to
continue this successful project, and require ACS observations of
future SNe which are discovered in galaxies closer than 20Mpc which
have pre-explosion HST archive images available. These ToO
observations will allow the SNe to be precisely positioned on the
pre-explosion frames with the required astrometric accuracy of around
0.05", and allow 3-colour photometry of the surrounding stellar
populations for reddening estimations. The goal of this project is to
directly identify the progenitor stars of core-collapse supernovae. We
will compare the progenitor detections or luminosity limits to our own
stellar evolutionary tracks in order to determine masses or
restrictive mass-limits for the progenitors.

ACS/HRC 9976

The Parallaxes and Proper Motions of Two Nearby Neutron Stars

We propose to measure the parallax of two nearby neutron stars to the
highest possible level of accuracy, ~.0.5 mas. The primary goal is to
determine the neutron-star radius at infinity with better than 1 km
precision, and therewith obtain a direct constraint on the equation of
state of matter at supra-nuclear density. The required flux and
temperature determinations are easiest for the so-called isolated or
radio-quiet neutron stars because of their apparently completely
thermal spectrum. We argue that the importance of the possible results
warrants a study to the best possible level of the best possible
sources, and request 24 orbits for the two brightest isolated neutron
stars, RX J1856.5-3754 and RX J0720.4-3125. We will also determine
whether the enigmatic RX J0720.4-3125 is an old magnetar or an
accreting source, based on its luminosity and proper motion.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10060

CCD Daily Monitor

This program consists of basic tests to monitor, the read noise, the
development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise in ACS CCD
detectors. This programme will be executed once a day for the entire
lifetime of ACS.

ACS/WFC 10268

Recovery of three faint Kuiper Belt Objects discovered with HST

We propose 6 orbits to make ACS/WFC follow-up observations of three
faint Kuiper Belt Objects {KBOs} that we discovered in the Large Cycle
11 program GO 9433 {G. Bernstein, PI; Bernstein et al. 2004}. These
KBOs are the faintest -- and therefore smallest -- KBOs known. Two of
these objects can be recovered {and the third easily recovered and its
colors probed} only with HST. Any future studies of small KBOs will
require knowledge of our three faint KBOs. With the proposed
observations, the locations of these KBOs will be known quite well
until after first light for JWST. Without the proposed observations,
these three small KBOs will be effectively lost. This small program
represents a small investment of HST time to solidify the legacy of
the Bernstein et al. Large GO program. With the proposed observations,
we will be able to determine with certainty the dynamical classes of
these three KBOs, testing the hypothesis that small KBOs are
predominantly classical KBOs. We will also test the suggestion that
classical KBOs are uniformly quite red. Lastly, our observations will
enable physical studies {e.g., spectroscopy} with JWST a decade from
now. All these measurements will provide important evidence for
theories on the formation and evolution of the Solar System.

ACS/WFC 9765

The Dusty ISM Substructure in Nearby Spiral Galaxies

We propose an ACS V&I imaging snapshot survey of all nearby edge-on
spiral galaxies in order to measure the small scale structures in
their dust extinction down to the 10pc scale. Dust and molecular gas
are tightly coupled and therefore HST high resolution reddening maps
can reveal information about the cold ISM phase on a scale
inaccessible from the groundby any other means. We have recently
discovered a sudden change in dust lane properties using ground-based
data; all galaxies with rotation speeds in access of 120km/s show dust
lanes, but none of the slower rotators does. This transition may be
caused by a sudden change in the state of the multiphase ISM, and HST
resolution imaging is needed to fully quantify this effect. Analysis
will consist of full radiative transfer modeling of dust extinction
with realistic, fractal like substructure and power spectrum analysis
of the structure from the global to the 10pc scale. By observing a
sample of galaxies with a range in structural parameters we can
quantify how the cold ISM structure changes as function of radius,
rotation speed, local surface density, et cetera. This information is
duly needed with SIRTF soon providing a wealth of information on dust
absorption, but lacking the resolution to determine the small scale
distribution of the dust.

FGS/1 9034

The Masses and Luminosities of Population II Stars.

Fine Guidance Sensor 11R was used to observe the mass-luminosity
relation {MLR} of Population II stars of which very little is
currently known. With the advent of the Hipparcos Catalogue, improved
distances to many spectroscopic binaries known to be Pop II systems
are now available. After surveying the literature and making
reasonable estimates of the secondary masses, we find 13 systems whose
minimum separation should be larger than the resolution limit of FGS
#1.

NIC/NIC3 9865

The NICMOS Parallel Observing Program

We propose to continue managing the NICMOS pure parallel program.
Based on our experience, we are well prepared to make optimal use of
the parallel opportunities. The improved sensitivity and efficiency of
our observations will substantially increase the number of
line-emitting galaxies detected. As our previous work has
demonstrated, the most frequently detected line is Halpha at
0.7z1.9, which provides an excellent measure of current star
formation rate. We will also detect star-forming and active galaxies
in other redshift ranges using other emission lines. The grism
observations will produce by far the best available Halpha luminosity
functions over the crucial--but poorly observed--redshift range where
galaxies appear to have assembled most of their stellar mass. This key
process of galaxy evolution needs to be studied with IR data; we found
that observations at shorter wavelengths appear to have missed a large
fraction of the star-formation in galaxies, due to dust reddening. We
will also obtain deep F110W and F160W images, to examine the space
densities and morphologies of faint red galaxies. In addition to
carrying out the public parallels, we will make the fully reduced and
calibrated images and spectra available on-line, with some
ground-based data for the deepest parallel fields included.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8792

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 3

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

NICMOS/STIS CCD 9405

The Origin of Gamma-Ray Bursts

The rapid and accurate localization of gamma-ray bursts {GRBs}
promised by a working HETE-2 during the coming year may well
revolutionize our ability to study these enigmatic, highly luminous
transients. We propose a program of HST and Chandra observations to
capitalize on this extraordinary opportunity. We will perform some of
the most stringent tests yet of the standard model, in which GRBs
represent collimated relativistic outflows from collapsing massive
stars. NICMOS imaging and STIS CCD spectroscopy will detect broad
atomic features of supernovae underlying GRB optical transients, at
luminosities more than three times fainter than SN 1998bw. UV,
optical, and X-ray spectroscopy will be used to study the local ISM
around the GRB. Chandra spectroscopy will investigate whether the GRB
X-ray lines are from metals freshly ripped from the stellar core by
the GRB. HST and CTIO infra-red imaging of the GRBs and their hosts
will be used to determine whether `dark' bursts are the product of
unusually strong local extinction; imaging studies may for the first
time locate the hosts of `short' GRBs. Our early polarimetry and
late-time broadband imaging will further test physical models of the
relativistic blast wave that produces the bright GRB afterglow, and
will provide unique insight into the influence of the GRB environment
on the afterglow.

STIS/CCD 10018

CCD Dark Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS/CCD 10020

CCD Bias Monitor - Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CCD 9776

Black Holes in Big Galaxies with Small Bulges

In early-type galaxies the black hole {BH} mass is tightly correlated
with the bulge velocity dispersion. This correlation suggests that the
BH mass is determined by local processes in the central part of the
galaxy. However, the bulge dispersion in these galaxies is correlated
with the disk circular speed which in turn correlates with the
inferred halo circular speed {the "disk-halo conspiracy"}. For this
reason, existing data cannot decide whether the BH mass is set by the
bulge dispersion or the disk or halo circular speed. We propose to
break this degeneracy by weighing the BH in 3 Sc galaxies in which the
ratio of bulge circular speed to bulge velocity dispersion is large,
leading to large differences between BH masses predicted from these
quantities. These measurements will increase the number of carefully
studied Sc bulges from one to four and will determine whether the
masses of nuclear BHs are set by {presumably baryonic} processes in
galaxy bulges or by {presumably non-baryonic} processes in their dark
halos.

STIS/MA1 10034

Cycle 12 MAMA Dark Monitor

This test performs the routine monitoring of the MAMA detector dark
noise. This proposal will provide the primary means of checking on
health of the MAMA detectors systems through frequent monitoring of
the background count rate. The purpose is to look for evidence of
change in dark indicative of detector problem developing.

WFPC2 10067

WFPC2 Cycle 12 Decontaminations and Associated Observations

This proposal is for the monthly WFPC2 decons. Also included are
instrument monitors tied to decons: photometric stability check, focus
monitor, pre- and post-decon internals {bias, intflats, kspots, &
darks}, UV throughput check, VISFLAT sweep, and internal UV flat
check.

WFPC2 10070

WFPC2 CYCLE 12 Supplemental Darks Part 2/3

This dark calibration program obtains 3 dark frames every day to
provide data for monitoring and characterizing the evolution of hot
pixels.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

Significant Spacecraft Anomalies: (The following are preliminary reports of
potential non-nominal performance that will be investigated.)

HSTAR 9424: GS Acquisition (2,3,3) @ 143/15:14:09Z required multiple
attempts, both the primary FGS 2 and secondary FGS 3, to achieve Fine
Lock Data Valid (FL-DV) due to STOP indication flags per FRS FGS
Behavior Request: FGS Modes and Flag Bit Changes. PCS/SE may review
FRS FGS Behavior Request completed @ 145/14:19:40Z. An "A0C" ESB
message was received indicating FGS Coarse Mode Angle Check failed.
Under investigation.

COMPLETED OPS REQs: None

OPS NOTES EXECUTED:
1237-0 Table Dumps @145/1817z
911-0 Limit Management during WFPCII Decontamination @145/0839-1843z

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL FAILURE TIMES
FGS
GSacq 10 10
FGS REacq 06 06
FHST Update 17 17
LOSS of LOCK

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

Additional OBAD data collection periods are necessary for further
analysis of the process in support of future TGS efforts. OBAD data
collection series scheduled as follows:

146/12:36:15 - 146/13:06:15 (HN)
146/16:17:00 - 146/16:36:01 (HN)
146/20:29:48 - 146/20:46:29 (HN)
146/22:11:00 - 146/22:33:00 (PN)
146/23:47:00 - 147/00:10:00 (PN)

Two of these periods involve a transition to PN format in order to
capture FHST position and intensity data at a higher rate. All
commanding relating to the OBAD data collection is on a NIB with
routine spacecraft activities. See Ops Request 17169 with attached
OBAD Data Collection script for details.

Set-up and execution of HST CCS 5.0.3.1 CT Verification test scheduled
146/10:30Z - 16:00Z with GDOC, HITT, and SOC using CCS "H" String with
CCS Release 5.0.3.1 and PRD O06400STQ1. The purpose of this testing
is to verify CT results with new CCS software patch.

Set-up and execution of HST Battery Reconditioning MACRO OAT scheduled
146/10:00Z - 147/05:00Z with GDOC, HITT, SE, and VEST using CCS "D"
String with CCS Release 5.0.3.1 and PRD xx (intentionally removed).
The purpose of this testing is to verify installation and backout
procedures for the Battery Reconditioning MACRO work in an operational
scenario and to verify the activation and behavior of the Battery
Reconditioning MACRO in an operational scenario.