CO In Your Coffee? : Weird Space Hazards - Vol. 1

Old July 30th 19, 09:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default CO In Your Coffee? : Weird Space Hazards - Vol. 1

"Carbon Monoxide Release from Whole Bean Roasted Coffee in Storage"

McCarrick
Letter
Neal

Jul-2019

Abstract:
Industrial coffee producers have experienced a few hazardous events
involving carbon monoxide poisoning of employees working in enclosed
spaces where roasted coffee has previously been. Coffee stored in
flexible bags are fitted with vent valves allowing the off-gassing
carbon dioxide to escape without stressing the bag and without allowing
oxygen to enter causing degradation of the beans. What has not been
considered until recently is the presence of carbon monoxide at much
lower levels along with the carbon dioxide. The Naval Surface Warfare
Center Philadelphia Division has worked with a coffee producer to
quantify the carbon monoxide release from freshly roasted beans. The
levels of carbon monoxide in an enclosed space can easily reach toxic
levels in a modest amount of time. Reasonable precautions are necessary
to prevent accidental harm to people working in enclosed spaces where
coffee is roasted or stored.

https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/handle/2346/84940

Old July 30th 19, 09:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 7/30/2019 4:32 PM, David Spain wrote:
The Naval Surface Warfare
Center Philadelphia Division has worked with a coffee producer to
quantify the carbon monoxide release from freshly roasted beans.

What can kill you in a submarine can also kill you in space...

Dave
Old August 1st 19, 06:10 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot[_4_]

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019, JF Mezei wrote:
"Carbon Monoxide Release from Whole Bean Roasted Coffee in Storage"

Would the station have whole beans that are grinded in the ISS or
would the ISS only get a supply of ground coffee?

Grind beans in 0g?

Would it be correct ro state that ground coffee would release its CO
during the grinding process? or would the ground coffee continue to
release CO?

Does the ISS ECLSS have the ability to filter CO out? (do the filters
to take CO2 out also filter out CO ?

Old August 1st 19, 08:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Greetings,

I fully expect that the poor souls on ISS and most near-term future space missions will be forced to consume instant coffee. A few grams of dehydrated coffee per serving is much less mass to deliver than the whole beans or even ground coffee, and the machinery needed to turn it into coffee is considerably lighter and simpler.

I seem to remember reading/hearing of astronauts making their coffee / tea with the water straight coming from the fuel cells, i.e. the fuel cell water was the right temperature for coffee/tea.

The thought of months or years without real coffee makes me tremble. I have finally found a reason why I wouldn't volunteer for the space mission if asked.

Such are the sacrifices for working in space, and I'm pretty sure I'm not psychologically ready for that sacrifice.

Regards
Frank
Old August 1st 19, 08:49 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Hi all

Should have googled before I replied:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISSpresso

An Esspresso machine is aboard ISS. That will make life aboard the space station practically bearable for any civilized person.

Regards
Frank
Old August 1st 19, 11:43 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

Greetings,

I fully expect that the poor souls on ISS and most near-term future
space missions will be forced to consume instant coffee. A few
grams of dehydrated coffee per serving is much less mass to deliver
than the whole beans or even ground coffee, and the machinery
needed to turn it into coffee is considerably lighter and simpler.

Problem solved (by the Italians, of course):

ISSpresso
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISSpresso

Astronauts Can Now Brew Fresh Coffee In Space - March 2, 2016
https://www.foodrepublic.com/2016/03...ow-brew-fresh-
coffee-in-space/

How do astronauts drink coffee in space?
By Shannon Sweeney - Jun 05, 2018
https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/blog...s-drink-coffee

I seem to remember reading/hearing of astronauts making their
coffee / tea with the water straight coming from the fuel cells,
i.e. the fuel cell water was the right temperature for coffee/tea.

That would have been on the space shuttle, or earlier, NASA spacecraft.
ISS certainly doesn't use fuel cells for power. That said, it's not too
hard to safely heat water for coffee or other purposes in microgravity.

The thought of months or years without real coffee makes me tremble.
I have finally found a reason why I wouldn't volunteer for the space
mission if asked.

Instant coffee isn't that bad, IMHO. I've been on plenty of trips where
my own supply of instant coffee was all I had. I lived.

Such are the sacrifices for working in space, and I'm pretty sure I'm
not psychologically ready for that sacrifice.

LOL. We've all got to have our priorities. To me, space travel would
be like camping. I'm willing to give up some creature comforts in order
to make the trip.

Jeff
Old August 1st 19, 11:45 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

Hi all

Should have googled before I replied:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISSpresso

An Esspresso machine is aboard ISS. That will make life aboard
the space station practically bearable for any civilized person.

Except it's not American style brewed coffee. I spent a week in
Shanghai subsisting on instant coffee and espresso from a machine at the
office. I personally preferred instant over the espresso.

But, as usual, YMMV.

Jeff
Old August 2nd 19, 11:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot[_4_]

On Thu, 1 Aug 2019, wrote:

Should have googled before I replied:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISSpresso

An Esspresso machine is aboard ISS. That will make life aboard the space station practically bearable for any civilized person.

Any fresh fruits or vegetables?