Perseid meteor

Old August 12th 07, 02:16 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

Default Perseid meteor

Here's my first (and probably last!) Perseid of the season so far. A
crop from the original frame showing the meteor close to Cygnus. The
meteor occurred close to the edge of the full frame which was taken
with a 16mm lens - hence the curvature in the meteor's trail.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/meteors...M-crop_640.jpg
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old August 12th 07, 08:30 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pd

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Here's my first (and probably last!) Perseid of the season so far.

[...]
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/meteors...M-crop_640.jpg

Nice one.

I sat out for twenty minutes in my back garden staring up at the sky
last night around 2300, didn't see a single thing. Mind you, here in
town, Cassiopeia is only just emerging from the orange glow of light
pollution. Sometimes I hate living in the Northern Hemisphere.

--
Pd
Old August 12th 07, 11:27 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 08:30:07 +0100, lid (Pd) wrote:

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Here's my first (and probably last!) Perseid of the season so far.

[...]
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/meteors...M-crop_640.jpg

Nice one.

I sat out for twenty minutes in my back garden staring up at the sky
last night around 2300, didn't see a single thing. Mind you, here in
town, Cassiopeia is only just emerging from the orange glow of light
pollution. Sometimes I hate living in the Northern Hemisphere.

It's awkward I know but 20 mins is reaqlly too short for a meteor
watch. An hour is much more likely to reveal something. Also, the
number of meteors you will see depends on the height of the radiant
above the horizon and the time of night you are observing. You're
likely to see more meteors after 1am through to dawn (~4:30am) BST.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old August 12th 07, 11:38 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mark

In an hours' watch this morning (01:55 -02:55 BST) a friend and myself
counted 31 Perseids so things are definately looking up. This was at quite
a dark-sky site so we were seeing some of the fainter ones.

Mark

Old August 12th 07, 11:43 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pd

Pete Lawrence wrote:

I sat out for twenty minutes in my back garden staring up at the sky
last night around 2300, didn't see a single thing. Mind you, here in
town, Cassiopeia is only just emerging from the orange glow of light
pollution. Sometimes I hate living in the Northern Hemisphere.

It's awkward I know but 20 mins is reaqlly too short for a meteor
watch. An hour is much more likely to reveal something.

I used to spend my holidays at a beach hut in Coromandel, New Zealand.
Every night we'd sit out in deck chairs after dark, and see who could
spot the first satellite, and the first meteor. It was never more than
quarter of an hour before we saw the first meteor, and maybe half an
hour to an hour for a satellite.

On moonless nights, the only way you could see your hand in front of
your face was by the hand-shaped black space in the stars.

--
Pd
Old August 12th 07, 11:52 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Paul L Money

In article , Mark
writes
In an hours' watch this morning (01:55 -02:55 BST) a friend and myself
counted 31 Perseids so things are definately looking up. This was at quite
a dark-sky site so we were seeing some of the fainter ones.

Mark

Ideal time to watch Mark so good result there. Weather predications seem
to vary but we in Lincolnshire and surrounding counties might get it
clear tonight - oh bugger - that's jinxed it then!!

Great shot Pete - more than I've got so far - visually over 40 for the
week photographically - nil!

Paul
--
For my web site - Astrospace go to http://www.astrospace.co.uk
For Astro holidays that are outathis world go visit the following:
Old August 12th 07, 01:15 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

On 12 Aug, 02:16, Pete Lawrence
wrote:
Here's my first (and probably last!) Perseid of the season so far. A
crop from the original frame showing the meteor close to Cygnus. The
meteor occurred close to the edge of the full frame which was taken
with a 16mm lens - hence the curvature in the meteor's trail.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/meteors...M-crop_640.jpg
--
Petehttp://www.digitalsky.org.uk

Great shot of what I hope to be able to see/emulate tonight Pete,
thanks

Just one thing... do I just open the shutter and hope that I catch
something, or do I keep looking up and try to click when I see one -
though I guess I'd never be quick enough !
I'll not be staying out too late as I have to be up at 05:00 for work
in the morning

Nick in Northallerton

Old August 12th 07, 01:16 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 11:43:42 +0100, lid (Pd) wrote:

Pete Lawrence wrote:

I sat out for twenty minutes in my back garden staring up at the sky
last night around 2300, didn't see a single thing. Mind you, here in
town, Cassiopeia is only just emerging from the orange glow of light
pollution. Sometimes I hate living in the Northern Hemisphere.

It's awkward I know but 20 mins is reaqlly too short for a meteor
watch. An hour is much more likely to reveal something.

I used to spend my holidays at a beach hut in Coromandel, New Zealand.
Every night we'd sit out in deck chairs after dark, and see who could
spot the first satellite, and the first meteor. It was never more than
quarter of an hour before we saw the first meteor, and maybe half an
hour to an hour for a satellite.

Meteors are statistical beasts and even in high activity showers you
can go for ages without seeing anything. Observing close to dawn will
increase the chances of seeing a meteor markedly. Satellites are more
predictable and I normally only have to wait a few minutes before the
first one can be spotted from my garden.

If you observe before 01:00am BST you'll miss the best bits tonight.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old August 12th 07, 01:56 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Steve Wolstenholme

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:16:15 +0100, Pete Lawrence
wrote:

Meteors are statistical beasts and even in high activity showers you
can go for ages without seeing anything. Observing close to dawn will
increase the chances of seeing a meteor markedly. Satellites are more
predictable and I normally only have to wait a few minutes before the
first one can be spotted from my garden.

It's the unpredictability that makes seeing a meteor more rewarding.

Steve

--
Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com
Old August 12th 07, 04:00 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pd

wrote:

Meteors are statistical beasts and even in high activity showers you
can go for ages without seeing anything. Observing close to dawn will
increase the chances of seeing a meteor markedly. Satellites are more
predictable and I normally only have to wait a few minutes before the
first one can be spotted from my garden.

It's the unpredictability that makes seeing a meteor more rewarding.

Indeed - like a lovely day in spring.

For predictability kudos, it's always fun to know when there is about to
be an Iridium flare, so you can point up and say "ooh look, a flash from
the heavens" about ten seconds before it happens.

--
Pd

Perseid Meteor Shower Algomeysa2 Misc 1 August 13th 05 09:23 PM
Perseid Meteor Shower Algomeysa2 Amateur Astronomy 2 August 13th 05 07:49 PM
Perseid Meteor Shower Mij Adyaw Amateur Astronomy 6 August 11th 05 03:21 PM
Perseid meteor shower imminent Dan UK Astronomy 10 August 12th 04 02:49 PM
Perseid Meteor Shower 2004 Marty Misc 3 June 4th 04 03:45 PM