Stupid question about our moon?

Old June 12th 08, 03:14 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
SpreadTooThin

Default Stupid question about our moon?

What is the name of our Moon?
I mean every single planet in our solar system with a moon has had its
moons named.
Why haven't we named our own moon?
It's like we've named the children of every one else's kids and forgot
to give our only child a name of its own!
I SAY LETS NAME OUR MOON!
I'm calling it by my name... Brian.
From here on in we shall call our moon Brian.
DIBS!

Old June 12th 08, 08:52 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Boris[_2_]

Moon is its name.

Using the term moon to refer to a natural satellite of another planet is
technically incorrect, though a lot of people who should know better keep
doing it.

"SpreadTooThin" wrote in message
What is the name of our Moon?
I mean every single planet in our solar system with a moon has had its
moons named.
Why haven't we named our own moon?
It's like we've named the children of every one else's kids and forgot
to give our only child a name of its own!
I SAY LETS NAME OUR MOON!
I'm calling it by my name... Brian.
From here on in we shall call our moon Brian.
DIBS!

Old June 12th 08, 07:09 PM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
SpreadTooThin

On Jun 12, 1:52*am, "Boris" wrote:
Moon is its name.

Using the term moon to refer to a natural satellite of another planet is
technically incorrect, though a lot of people who should know better keep
doing it.

Well what shall we call objects that orbit planets?

Old June 13th 08, 04:16 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Alexm

On Jun 11, 9:14*pm, SpreadTooThin wrote:
What is the name of our Moon?
I mean every single planet in our solar system with a moon has had its
moons named.
Why haven't we named our own moon?
It's like we've named the children of every one else's kids and forgot
to give our only child a name of its own!
I SAY LETS NAME OUR MOON!
I'm calling it by my name... *Brian.
From here on in we shall call our moon Brian.
DIBS!

Let's name it after the person who first observed (i.e., discovered)
it. But, alas, we will never know who that was.

Old June 17th 08, 12:35 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Golden California Girls

Alexm wrote:
On Jun 11, 9:14 pm, SpreadTooThin wrote:
What is the name of our Moon?
I mean every single planet in our solar system with a moon has had its
moons named.
Why haven't we named our own moon?
It's like we've named the children of every one else's kids and forgot
to give our only child a name of its own!
I SAY LETS NAME OUR MOON!
I'm calling it by my name... Brian.
From here on in we shall call our moon Brian.
DIBS!

Let's name it after the person who first observed (i.e., discovered)
it. But, alas, we will never know who that was.

We do because all of the "discoveries" post date the telescope and there are
records.

Old June 17th 08, 03:28 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
DR SMITH

Default Stupid question about our moon? Carl thoughts on the subject of the "MOON"

Ignignot: Some would say that the Earth is *our* moon.
Ur: *We're* the Moon!
Ignignot: But that would belittle the name of our Moon, which is the Moon.
Ur: Point is, we're at the center, not you!

Carl: No, the real point is I don't give a damn. (slams door)

Old August 16th 08, 01:50 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Rtavi

"DR SMITH" wrote in message
. ..

Ignignot: Some would say that the Earth is *our* moon.
Ur: *We're* the Moon!
Ignignot: But that would belittle the name of our Moon, which is the Moon.
Ur: Point is, we're at the center, not you!

Carl: No, the real point is I don't give a damn. (slams door)

Thought it was Luna

Stupid question perhaps... cqmman Misc 2 July 23rd 07 09:04 AM
Stupid Question who does what? Jimbob Jumpback Space Station 5 July 19th 07 04:06 PM
Maybe a stupid question....... adm UK Astronomy 9 November 8th 05 05:47 PM
Stupid question Albert Misc 14 October 26th 04 05:39 AM
Stupid Question Paul Maskell UK Astronomy 3 November 14th 03 04:06 PM