Wind Energy - YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS !

Old July 6th 08, 02:14 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar

Default Wind Energy - YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS !

Wind Energy Reasonable Power

Wind Energy Reasonable Power

About wind powered generators:

YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS !

Calculations and Considerations (from a wind energy study):

The following is my own personal opinion. Check out the facts for yourself. I give direct references.

Specifically, the study was about the reasonable power capacity of multi-bladed wind energy sources.

This was not started by some humongous, large corporation trying to cram foolishly designed three-bladed "wind turbines" down the public's throat.

I have studied the concept of wind powered generaors. Multi-bladed. Low wind capacity. Reasonably designed. Logically considered.

Many years ago, farmers built windmills. As we all know, farmers are extraordinarily gifted in the arts of "do it yourself," and "make it work." They are personally driven by production. They built windmills to lift water out of the ground for their cattle and for irrigation. They did not use silly, three bladed, passively turning windmills. They did build multibladed windmills which agressively captured the wind and agressively converted the wind to torque energy.

The farmer needed POWER:

Power to lift water, a long way up from a well, consistently for their cattle or irrigation. Water weighs a lot. Just lift a gallon of water and see what it weighs. Consider lifting all of the water in a well pipe 50 feet up inside of that well pipe. There was a steel rod transversing all of that distance to lift the water, so to the weight of all that water add the weight of the steel lifting rod. That is a lot of weight. The farmer needed enough power to lift the entire length of that water. Yes, the entire weight every time. The water valve is at the bottom of the pipe, down in the water. And NO they did not set the valve 32 feet up, because the seal might not hold. So, they needed a lot of power, every time that the well pump shaft was lifted by the windmill.

Now, think about this. How many times have you seen three bladed windmills out west, were the water table is a long way down? Never. You never saw that. You always saw multibladed windmills. Never three bladed ones.

Now, think about this. Wilber and Orville Wright invented the airplane [Reference or Reference] in 1903. There was publicity about that at the time. There were other people trying to utilize the Wright Brothers' designs for wing shapes for themselves after that. Lots of talk. Lots of plans. Lots of designs. 1903. That is over 100 years ago. Lots of people doing lots of thinking for over 100 years. But, no airplane wing windmills EVER became popular with the farmers. Nope. None. Did not happen. You go look again at the windmills out west pumping water. No airfoils using passive air lift. Not for the farmer. Remember the farmer needs power to help on his farm. He is not some silly teenager buying the latest fad advertised at the mall. He demands production. He demands power. He builds a windmill to work. You say, "But! But that is not the way it is done! All of the other lemmings are building airfoil 'wind turbines.'" Go talk to the farmer; the average farmer today. Yes today's farmer, with his Global Positioning System on his big turbocharged Electronically Fuel Injected tractor, and ask him what he thinks about the three bladed "wind turbines." Go. Ask. He will probably smile and be nice to you. But when you ask him why he does not invest in them, he will probably simply get back on his state-of-the-art, GPS equipped, self-navigating, air-conditioned tractor and go back to plowing, thinking that you are some city-slicker idiot that will never learn. Get this: Farmers are smart. Probably a lot smarter than the average big city lawyer. Lots of farmers these days have a four year college degree in agriculture, which means that they study a lot about their business. A lot. And to top it off, they have direct, hands on experience with an extraordinary range of electrical and mechanical equipment. A farmer using a windmill to pump water is wise. The rest of the U.S. should learn from them.

Before your irritation at a blatant disregard for current standards and engineering expertise and even government spending get you upset, think about it.

The average house has a 100 amp service with 120 volt capacity. That is 100 x 120 = 12,000 watts (12kw). I looked on the net and found a range of 10kw "wind turbines" which require from 22.5 mph to 31 mph. That is a lot of wind. Are you willing to wait for a tornado to go past your house for the "wind turbine" to work? Probably not.

Can you afford even one of the homeowner sized three bladed, airfoil imitating, "wind turbines" like your tax dollars are being wasted upon? Waiting for that rare blast of wind might be a silly investment. So, it is probably not in your current budget.

OK, so what do you do? You think like a farmer. Remember, farmers are smart. Get yourself a multibladed wind powered generator. Get a bumper sticker that says, "Think like a farmer." Remember, just because the other lemmings are dashing into the sea does not mean that there is any true logic to three bladed "wind turbines." Whatever it takes, get your head straight. Think.

What can you do now?

Go to reasonablepower.com.

Look at the page.

Purchase a wind powered generator from me today.

Not enough logic?

Really?

You say, "But the engineers . . ."

Archimedes, about 287-212 BC is quoted as having said about the use of a lever, "Give me a place to stand on, and I will move the Earth." And guess what, a blade on a windmill, or on a wind powered generator, or even on a "wind turbine," is lever. Remember that Physics class that you took, where you should have learned more. Here is a refresher: (force) x (distance) = torque. So, if you want a lot of power from your "wind turbine," it is a good idea to make the blades capture lots of wind. Got it? You want a lot of the force to be directly on the blades, not wasted in aerodynamic "lift." Got that? And, you want to capture most of the wind passing through the blade area. See? That was not so difficult to understand. Think about what you have seen. Farmers need mechanical power. Multi-bladed Windmills produce lots of power. Three bladed, aerodynamically "lifted" "wind turbines" do not produce much power. The laws of physics are not wrong. Wind Powered Generators, based upon the laws of physics are the best way to go. You should purchase one from me this week.

A blade that is wide at the furtherest part away from the hub should give better torque and thus more power.

A blade that is wide close to the hub and skinny way out from the hub is exactly backward. That is an idiotic way to design them (unless you don't want them to work???). Think. Think. Think. Look at the blades on this link: "wind turbines," and he here.

.. . .Lemmings. . .

.. . .The sea. . .

You have seen "wind turbines." Something is definately not right about them.

Think. Use your own brain. Do not be afraid to think. Something is not right with those "wind turbines." Look at them again. They are just not right. Archimedes was not wrong about levers. Farmers are not wrong about pumping water with windmills. Physics 101, where you should have studied, was not wrong about force x distance. Those "wind turbines" are just plain idiotic. Think. For yourself, think.

Take a piece of paper. Go ahead. Hold two corresponding corners in your hands, make that section flat and horizontal, and blow across the top surface. Sometimes, the back of the sheet rises, if you blow hard enough, and get the air flow in exactly the right place. It is called "Lift." Now take the same piece of paper and hold a large width of both ends and blow directly onto the middle, with the same amount of air. Yeeooow! What a discovery! You do not need and engineering degree and calculus to see that direct air pressure against the side of a flat surface produces far more force than over the edge with "lift." "Wind turbines" work on lift. Windmills work on air flow pressure. Lift vs direct flowing air pressure? You have no excuse for thinking that "wind turbines" work well now. Physics does not lie. That paper in your hand did not lie. That was a pretty simple example. Those farmers' windmills were built right. Think for yourself.

You tell your children to think for themselves. You tell them of examples of people that did not think for themselves. There is even a famous tale of an emperor, being duped by lies, when he did not think for himself. Remember when you were young and your parent's read you the story of The Emperor's New Clothes? Think about it. Think for yourself. Look around you and observe reality for yourself. "Wind turbines," as they are now, are like the Emperor's New Clothes. A little child, being innocent of the vanity of adults, simply asked "Why is the Emperor not wearing any clothes," and the truth was set free. Think. Think. Think.

Here is the situation:

I started this to replace purchased fuel with natural energy.

I looked at solar and found that the solar panels created such a tiny trickle of power that they were actually a waste of space. I could get more energy, in one day, from a black copper water filled pipe looped across my roof than the solar panel provided in a week. Solar panels are literally a waste of space. Thousands of dollars to trickle charge a few batteries, when I could get far more heat energy out of a simple black copper pipe filled with water? No way. Not with my money. Remember, I am not some money sucking large corporation. I am not trying to deceive the public. I am not trying to sell a lie. I am selling logical, reasonable, wind powered generators.

I looked at wind powered energy sources and quickly found that they were not well designed. The commercially produced wind powered energy sources were incredibly inefficient. But, in their inefficiency, they were more efficient than the solar panels. Thus, I decided to analyze them and potentially build my own. I looked at the parts for wind power sources and studied each part incrementally. This has taken me a few months, about a year now. An airfoil [or here] on edge, in a steady stream of air, does create lift. Albeit, very little lift unless there is a lot of air flow, but lift none the less, and measured in joules of energy per volume of air flow, it is very little. A flat plate, perpendicular to a steady stream of air, has the maximum mechanical advantage, and has far greater joules or energy per volume of air flow. But, we do not want to totally blow away our wind powered generator by making it flat to the wind, so we set the flat plate on a 45 degree angle. Maximum force perpendicular to the direction of the wind. And that force is against the blades of the wind powered generator to make it turn! Yes, there is drag. But drag, in this case, is transferred to the mechanical structure of the wind powered generator. Maximum turning force. Maximum torque on the shaft that turns the wind powered generator.

Having difficulty envisioning this?

(Look at the NASA example of a kite. Click on "select view" then "side" then Click on "Trim." Adjust the "B-Bridle" and the "K-Knot" until the "lift" is maximized. It is a simple visual representation, but it gets the point across. More information from NASA at "Kindergarten through 12th grade" explanations: Kites, and general Aerodynamics. Get it? Flat plate. 45 degree angle to the wind. Maximum torque for energy generation.

Thus, I considered flat plates as a logical starting point for the design of a wind powered energy system. From fluid dynamics we know that an attack angle of 45 degrees is the most efficient for angular energy conversion of flowing air against a flat plate. At 45 degrees, it spills the energy depleted air flow in preparation for the upstream air flow, as it has to because it is wind power. Stay with me on this. Focus. Think.

I started this to replace the purchasing of fuel with the using of natural energy. I have studied solar and wind as alternative energy sources. I am giving you a report of my findings. I am giving you direct references to physics and direct examples from NASA. I have made some discoveries of products being offered, their technologies, their logics, their benefits, and their shortcomings. I am building wind powered generators based upon logic and the laws of physics. I have heard from the sales personnel of "wind turbines." I have read and listened carefully to the lemming followers of the "wind turbine" fad. I have studied their calculations and their conclusions and found them lacking. The laws of physics are not false. Flat plates, even if they are slightly curved for structural strength, are far better than aerofoils for a wind powered generator.

Now I am offering to sell to you a wind powered generator.

OK. So you are sold on this idea. You want to purchase wind powered generators from me. The wind is free. The wind is absolutely totally free. The wind will blow no matter what fad is current. The wind will continue to blow as it has commonly done. The wind blows day or night. When there is a storm and you need energy for lights and heat, the wind is usually blowing. When a blizzard is blasting through, the wind is blowing it. Did I mention that the wind is free? I do not claim specific percents of results for anything. That will, of course, vary. This is not a grid tie. We can work with electricians, and have them hook it up for you. This is a basic wind energy conversion package. Wind to energy. Think about it. You know that you could continue to get those horrendous energy bills for the rest of you life. You could spend your time listening to "wind turbine" salesmen. You could spend your time reading the reports of lemmings discussing the mysterious calculus of aerofoil and "lift." But now that would be tough since you now have the physics references that slam the "wind turbine" idea into the dirt. Oh, what to do? You could go get a double cheezeburger with onions and mayo, top it off with a big milkshake, and try to forget that you read this. Or maybe not. When you pay that heating bill or electric bill, you will remember this. The physics is true. The examples are true. Purchase a wind powered generator from me. Results will vary. The wind may blow or it may not. You might get energy from this or you might not. You know all of that. Have me build one for you anyway, and watch the results.

NOTES:
* No lemmings were harmed in the making of this web page.
* Links to other web pages do not mean anything other than a reference.
* Think.

What can you do now?

Go to reasonablepower.com.

Look at the page.

I am asking you to purchase a wind powered generator from me today.