Perseid meteor

Old August 13th 07, 05:03 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

Default Perseid meteor

On 13 Aug, 13:11, Andy Guthrie wrote:
Steve Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:16:15 +0100, Pete Lawrence
wrote:

Meteors are statistical beasts and even in high activity showers you
can go for ages without seeing anything. Observing close to dawn will
increase the chances of seeing a meteor markedly. Satellites are more
predictable and I normally only have to wait a few minutes before the
first one can be spotted from my garden.

It's the unpredictability that makes seeing a meteor more rewarding.

Since the Leonids a few years ago when I was counting 8-10 per minute I
get impatient with last night's 2 in 45 minutes ! I've been spoiled

I don't know why people in the UK were told to view the sky from
11pm. The Pleiades are only clearly visible in the southern sky
around 3-4pm, at least from Scotland.

Old August 13th 07, 10:11 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Simon Dobbs

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 03:12:33 +0100, Pd wrote
(in article ):

Simon Dobbs wrote:

As to perseids- sod all from 2 hours observation
between 10 and midnight- about three meteors, which is what I might expect
from a normal 'non shower' night. Nice view of the milky way, perseus, cass
and associated milky patches of nebulosity though.

Seven meteors and a flash from Iridium 30 - quite pleased with that.
After a cloudy start at 0200, the sky cleared by about 0230.

I blame a bit of haze in the east for my mistaking Mars for Aldebaran.
I just thought Taurus was having an odd shape evening.

I didn't realise that the ecliptic ventured so far north at this time of
year, and so was also surprised mars's position.

Old August 15th 07, 12:51 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

wrote:

Meteors are statistical beasts and even in high activity showers you
can go for ages without seeing anything. Observing close to dawn will
increase the chances of seeing a meteor markedly. Satellites are more
predictable and I normally only have to wait a few minutes before the
first one can be spotted from my garden.

It's the unpredictability that makes seeing a meteor more rewarding.

Since the Leonids a few years ago when I was counting 8-10 per minute I
get impatient with last night's 2 in 45 minutes ! I've been spoiled

I don't know why people in the UK were told to view the sky from
11pm. The Pleiades are only clearly visible in the southern sky
around 3-4pm, at least from Scotland.

Apart from the fact that we're talking about the Perseids and the fact
that the Pleiades are in the east between 3 and 4am, that comment's
spot on
--
Petehttp://www.digitalsky.org.uk

woops, meant to say 3-4am. I thought the perseids passed near the
pleiades when looking up at the sky? makes no difference, I hurt my
neck looking all over the sky for two hours and saw nothing.

Old August 15th 07, 01:10 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:51:36 -0700, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I was so tired I didn't even see the pm and assumed you meant am!
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old August 20th 07, 08:56 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

On Aug 12, 5:59 pm, Pete Lawrence
wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 05:15:05 -0700, "

wrote:
On 12 Aug, 02:16, Pete Lawrence
wrote:
Here's my first (and probably last!) Perseid of the season so far. A
crop from the original frame showing the meteor close to Cygnus. The
meteor occurred close to the edge of the full frame which was taken
with a 16mm lens - hence the curvature in the meteor's trail.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/meteors...M-crop_640.jpg
--
Petehttp://www.digitalsky.org.uk

Great shot of what I hope to be able to see/emulate tonight Pete,
thanks

Just one thing... do I just open the shutter and hope that I catch
something, or do I keep looking up and try to click when I see one -
though I guess I'd never be quick enough !
I'll not be staying out too late as I have to be up at 05:00 for work
in the morning

Hi Nick,

No - keep the shutter open for an extended exposure. Set your camera
to a high sensitivity and your lens as far open as it'll go. Short
exposures are best for digital cameras - say 30s up to a minute. If
you're time challenged this evening, my advice would be to go to bed
and set your alarm for 03:00 so you can enjoy the last hour. Of course
if it clouds over for you in this time then there are no comebacks -
ok?!
--
Petehttp://www.digitalsky.org.uk

Late reply, all sort's happened to keep me away !

I did get out and took some photos and uploaded them here
http://picasaweb.google.com/nickw7co...sAndSatellites
- see the note on the image of how the camera was set up - and if I
get chance this week I'll do some cropping and post them...

Nick

Perseid Meteor Shower Algomeysa2 Misc 1 August 13th 05 09:23 PM
Perseid Meteor Shower Algomeysa2 Amateur Astronomy 2 August 13th 05 07:49 PM
Perseid Meteor Shower Mij Adyaw Amateur Astronomy 6 August 11th 05 03:21 PM
Perseid meteor shower imminent Dan UK Astronomy 10 August 12th 04 02:49 PM
Perseid Meteor Shower 2004 Marty Misc 3 June 4th 04 03:45 PM