Arguments for keeping shuttle around longer

Old October 3rd 05, 12:37 AM
Brian Thorn

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:34:18 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

Not so. Boeing offered to build a replacement after the Columbia lost.
NASA declined.

They did? What was the price tag and schedule?

It was the OV-20x proposal. Same mold line as the existing Shuttles,
but essentially all-new inside (except for new 100-series equipment
like MEDS). I'm sure it died of NASA sticker shock, but the cost
quoted wasn't *that* unrealistic ($2 billion or so for the first one,
follow-ons would be cheaper.) I don't recall a schedule being reported
(AvLeak or SpaceMuse, IIRC.)

You sure you're not thinking of post-Challenger?

No, this was mid to late 2003.

Brian
Old October 3rd 05, 05:01 AM
zoltan

I remember there was talk about some kind of research into a material
that could replace the heat shielding tiles with a continous coating. I
just can't figure out what it was.

Old October 3rd 05, 05:15 AM
John Savard

On 2 Oct 2005 13:00:01 -0700, "Ed Kyle" wrote, in
part:

The remaining orbiters are not "worn out". They
have flown only a fraction of their design airframe
lifetimes. They have been repeatedly upgraded and
refurbished during their existence. They are now
equipped with new main engines and avionics, etc.
Each of these machines could fly dozens more
missions before retirement.

Perhaps you are right. It is true that reports in the news media may
oversimplify and sensationalize things.

John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old October 3rd 05, 09:58 AM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-10-02, Brian Thorn wrote:

Not so. Boeing offered to build a replacement after the Columbia lost.
NASA declined.

They did? What was the price tag and schedule?

It was the OV-20x proposal. Same mold line as the existing Shuttles,
but essentially all-new inside (except for new 100-series equipment
like MEDS). I'm sure it died of NASA sticker shock, but the cost
quoted wasn't *that* unrealistic ($2 billion or so for the first one,
follow-ons would be cheaper.) I don't recall a schedule being reported
(AvLeak or SpaceMuse, IIRC.)

As I recall... someone at Boeing said "if they want us to build a new
one, we can" [1] relatively early on. SFAIK, no actual proposal ever
appeared - the details about the cost and whether it would be OV-106 or
OV-201 came from people discussing it after the fact.

[1] no doubt the "and, boy, will they pay for it" was silent.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old October 3rd 05, 02:07 PM
Jeff Findley

"zoltan" wrote in message
ups.com...
We should not forget that the shuttle is not all bad. Especially now
that we have it pretty well debugged. I think we should fly them even
knowing their problems, limitations. If we are going to have a shuttle
derived heavy lift architecture then it is not going to be an extra
cost to keep the shuttles flying indefinitely.

The shuttles provide a convenient environment for nursing satellites
before launch and they are the only thing we have if we want to bring
something back that does not have its own heat shield. The shuttles and
the SDHL complement each other.

But the cost of doing so is too high. That's why the shuttle program will
come to an end in 2010, or perhaps a bit later. Besides, NASA's plans will
require that shuttle facilities be converted for use with the stick and the
SDHLV.

Jeff