Missing proper motions

Old June 20th 05, 05:58 PM
Axel Harvey

Default Missing proper motions

Where can I find, online, proper motions of (a) some Messier objects,
(b) Sgr A*? I see plenty of references to proper motions of clusters
(for example, that M44 and the Hyades have similar proper motions) but
for some reason the catalogues and articles I read don't provide actual
numbers.

Or does one have to identify individual stars in the cluster and look
those up? There seem to be plenty of sources for proper motions of
single stars.

Old June 21st 05, 01:03 PM
Alasdair

"Axel Harvey" wrote in message
oups.com...
Where can I find, online, proper motions of (a) some Messier objects,
(b) Sgr A*? I see plenty of references to proper motions of clusters
(for example, that M44 and the Hyades have similar proper motions) but
for some reason the catalogues and articles I read don't provide actual
numbers.

Or does one have to identify individual stars in the cluster and look
those up? There seem to be plenty of sources for proper motions of
single stars.

I use Cartes du Ciel, just looked at the Pleiades and turned on show proper
motion and I can see the group as stars with a similar proper motion
Alasdair

Old June 21st 05, 02:09 PM
Axel Harvey

Hmm... Thanks! But Cartes du ciel seem to require Windoze. Is there
anything more civilized - and preferably online?

Old June 22nd 05, 06:08 PM
Alasdair

"Axel Harvey" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hmm... Thanks! But Cartes du ciel seem to require Windoze. Is there
anything more civilized - and preferably online?

try this
http://www.clearskyinstitute.com/xephem/

Alasdair

Old June 24th 05, 12:22 AM
Steve Willner

In article .com,
"Axel Harvey" writes:
Where can I find, online, proper motions of (a) some Messier objects,

Try SIMBAD for most stellar data:
http://simbad.harvard.edu/sim-fid.pl
is the US mirror site. If you are thinking of star clusters, you
will probably have to find a few member stars and take an average
yourself. (I haven't checked, but I don't think SIMBAD will have a
computed average. You might find an average among the references
SIMBAD will supply.)

(b) Sgr A*?

An ADS title search on
proper motion "sgr a*"
turns up many;
Reid, M.~J., \& Brunthaler, A.\ 2004, \apj, 616, 872
is the most recent.

--
Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
Old June 24th 05, 05:54 AM
Axel Harvey

Steve and Alasdair,

Thanks for the help - I think I can carry on now.

Old June 24th 05, 12:14 PM
Joseph Lazio

"SW" == Steve Willner writes:

SW In article
SW .com, "Axel
SW Harvey" writes:

(b) Sgr A*?

SW An ADS title search on proper motion "sgr a*" turns up many; Reid,
SW M.~J., \& Brunthaler, A.\ 2004, \apj, 616, 872 is the most recent.

It's worth pointing out that the proper motion of Sgr A* is entirely
consistent with a reflection of the Sun's motion. That is, Sgr A*
seems to be entirely stationary, and its motion across the sky merely
reflects the Sun's orbital motion about it.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police | e-mail:
No means no, stop rape. |
Old June 24th 05, 03:56 PM
Axel Harvey

Of course...the situation is the same whenever we have one body
orbiting another.

But that doesn't make Sgr A* "entirely stationary". If one is not
mass-biased one can adopt *any* viewpoint.