ASTRO: NGC253 from AP180EDT and U8300

Old October 15th 09, 04:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: NGC253 from AP180EDT and U8300

here's another one from last month taken under great seeing conditions.
NGC253 doesn't get very high up in Northern California so the seeing was
degraded versus the overhead objects (measured 1.3" that night) but it was a
lot better than I typically get for objects low in the Southern Sky.

this is 37 x 5 minutes (3H 5M) unfiltered shot using the AP180EDT f/9

This is the first time I have imaged NGC253

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc...camel_page.htm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ngc253_ap180edt_fp_u8300_camel_37x5min_svga.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	2646
Old October 15th 09, 05:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
here's another one from last month taken under great seeing conditions.
NGC253 doesn't get very high up in Northern California so the seeing was
degraded versus the overhead objects (measured 1.3" that night) but it was a
lot better than I typically get for objects low in the Southern Sky.

this is 37 x 5 minutes (3H 5M) unfiltered shot using the AP180EDT f/9

This is the first time I have imaged NGC253

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc...camel_page.htm

I was beginning to wonder where you vanished to. Those are two
beauties. Color of M33 seems heavy on the blue. At least compared to
my G2 balanced version.

Sure wish I had seeing like that. Think it will be common at the ranch
in the fall? Nothing but snow and clouds here, snowing yet again as I
type this. Night lows are down around -7C, highs about 0C. Can you
carve a frozen pumpkin? Normally we don't get our first snow of any
consequence until November. For the last week it has been coming down
faster than it melts and that doesn't normally happen until late
November. We had two weeks of summer in September now winter. June,
July and August were just a continuation of spring. Never used the air
conditioner until the end of September! Took the boat in just before
the heavier snows hit but not the dock. Hope it melts as an icy bank
will make getting the lift up and out extremely difficult.

Send some of that clear sky and super seeing this way before the moon
returns. Looks like Stefan should have taken his vacation in Mariposa
rather than the Nibian desert.

Rick

Old October 15th 09, 05:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
. com...
Richard Crisp wrote:
here's another one from last month taken under great seeing conditions.
NGC253 doesn't get very high up in Northern California so the seeing was
degraded versus the overhead objects (measured 1.3" that night) but it
was a lot better than I typically get for objects low in the Southern
Sky.

this is 37 x 5 minutes (3H 5M) unfiltered shot using the AP180EDT f/9

This is the first time I have imaged NGC253

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc...camel_page.htm

I was beginning to wonder where you vanished to. Those are two

I've been stuck in Asia the past two weeks. Been through two typhoons and a
6.3 quake this trip: had a typhoon on the trip the month before

I took this data before I flew but i did not have the darks I needed to
priocess them so I had to wait to return to make the darks.

beauties. Color of M33 seems heavy on the blue. At least compared to my
G2 balanced version.

Yeah it looked too blue to me as well. Again it was old color data that I
cobbled together relying on that nice luminance to make up for the so so
color.

Sure wish I had seeing like that. Think it will be common at the ranch in
the fall? Nothing but snow and clouds here, snowing yet again as I

for a week while it was pretty hot it had excellent seeing every night.

last weekend it was a lot worse: about 2.7"

that is stil better than I got under the best conditions from the backyard
in castro valley

I was really surprised to experience such great seeing.

type this. Night lows are down around -7C, highs about 0C. Can you carve
a frozen pumpkin? Normally we don't get our first snow of any consequence
until November. For the last week it has been coming down faster than it
melts and that doesn't normally happen until late November. We had two
weeks of summer in September now winter. June, July and August were just
a continuation of spring. Never used the air conditioner until the end of
September! Took the boat in just before the heavier snows hit but not the
dock. Hope it melts as an icy bank will make getting the lift up and out
extremely difficult.

Send some of that clear sky and super seeing this way before the moon
returns. Looks like Stefan should have taken his vacation in Mariposa
rather than the Nibian desert.

Not sure when I will have that good seeing again. I was sure wishing I had
the 18" set up...

I could knock out some of those cool galaxies you get

Old October 15th 09, 08:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
[...]

I'll take an early winter to even one typhoon, let alone two. You can
keep those quakes too but you live in quake country, especially when not
at the ranch. You have to be almost atop the fault. Here we had to
duck a tornado that dropped debris in our property though it died out a
couple miles from us and was not headed our way at the time. No place
on earth is immune from some natural disaster it seems.

I've had better seeing this year than in the past running about 2.5"
rather than 3" with some nights down to 2.2" One or two frames have hit
2" But after combining with lesser data 2.2" is as good as it gets. But
nothing like 1.3"!

Rick

Old October 15th 09, 01:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
[...]

here is the "score"

1) late july, early august: Taiwan: huge typhoon (Morakot), dropped 2.9
meters of rain in 48 hours in southwestern Taiwan. I was in Taipei...
2) late september: Taipei; 6.3 Quake hits Hualien (about 100 miles as the
crow flies from Taipei), two days later: Typhoon Parma, two days after that:
heading to Tokyo: Typhoon Melor.... hits Japan and passes over Tokyo to the
west.
3) this week in California, remnants of Typhoon Melor drops 6" of rain in
parts of the SF Bay area....

so in 5 weeks I have been in three typhoons, one got me twice and one 6.3
quake

Old October 15th 09, 06:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
[...]

Sure your name isn't Joe Btfsplk?

Rick

Old October 16th 09, 03:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
[...]

good point, but I never did know how to pronounce his last name.

hardly anyone around where I work would know who he was...

I did mention these guys that have their own personal raincloud that follows
them around

they have a pretty good writeup about him on Wiki... including how Al Capp
said it was to be pronounced

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Btfsplk

How about Typhoon Richard?

(with apologies to Typhoid Mary)

Old October 17th 09, 06:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Richard,

looks like you got more detail from California than I did from Namibia.

Stefan

m...

Old October 18th 09, 03:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote in message
Richard,

looks like you got more detail from California than I did from Namibia.

I had some rare and exceptional seeing conditions Stefan. I actually
measured stars at 1.3" one night and 1.6" the other night when i shot those
two galaxy images

NGC253 only gets about 24 degrees above the horizon here, it really is low.
But I was amazed to get such detail.

the seeing is very unusual to be so steady here based on my experience to
date. We had some hot weather and that must have been what it took.

i liked your images from Namibia: the color is always nice