So what next for manned flight then?

Old August 26th 08, 10:00 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default So what next for manned flight then?

Over on the Shuttle group they brought up maybe making solar power
satellites. I cannot see how this can work. It would need some new
technology surely to make power transmission through the atmosphere work
efficiently.
I can see it now, sats wired up to the north pole via long cables to
geosynchronous orbit... not... Or lasers frying the atmosphere so much
global warming would accelerates.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old August 27th 08, 07:15 AM posted to sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Over on the Shuttle group they brought up maybe making solar power
satellites. I cannot see how this can work. It would need some new
technology surely to make power transmission through the atmosphere work
efficiently.

It wouldn't.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old August 27th 08, 08:43 AM posted to sci.space.station
Tom2000[_3_]

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:00:57 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I can see it now, sats wired up to the north pole via long cables to
geosynchronous orbit... not...

Brian

LOL!

Last I heard, folks were considering microwave transmission to the
ground array.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectenna

That link should get you started.

Tom

Old August 28th 08, 01:17 PM posted to sci.space.station
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Over on the Shuttle group they brought up maybe making solar power
satellites. I cannot see how this can work. It would need some new
technology surely to make power transmission through the atmosphere work
efficiently.

It wouldn't.

Careful Derek, with answers like that folks may mistake you for Rand.

As other posters have mentioned, microwaves have been tested and considered
and are the current plan.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!