Brave Researcher Contemplates Moon Wobble

Old August 9th 04, 07:44 PM
Mad Scientist

Default Brave Researcher Contemplates Moon Wobble

Unlike the scientific cowards on this kook astronomy newsgroup, some
brave researchers hit the mark.
--

MOON WOBBLE: MAY NOT BE POETRY OF NIBIRU

Date: Sunday, 8 August 2004, 10:16 a.m.

In recent weeks, as a result of exchanges of information with a
number of RMN agents, those in what I call the Lunar Lunacy group -
Cliff, Mammonator, Freedom4ever, Farsight, Questionary, White Raven and
others - as well as discussions and brainstorming with several of my own
contacts, including an amateur geologist with whom I work. I have
developed some thoughts on what might be causing the earth wobble that
is almost certainly occurring. Additionally, I have developed some
mathmatic and experimental techniques for testing the theories that are
being advanced to explain this phenomena.

Using the principle that the earth and the moon are tidally locked
and therefore changes in the gravitational fields of the larger would be
magnified on the other by an arithmatic function of the differences in
their size I concluded that if their is a perceived movement of the
smaller from a perspective on the larger, then the other than normal
components of that movement would be from the larger to the smaller by a
factor related to their relative mass. Using the notion then, that for
every action there is an equal and opposite reaction the I concluded
that if the earth is 4 times the size of the moon then whatever wobble
the earth is expressing would affect the moon by a factor of three to four.

I have calculated the "earth wobble at approximately 10 - 15
degrees north south of either side of the equator (total of 20 - 30
degrees), with a corresponding wobble on the part of the moon of between
40 - 60 degrees with the normal seven degrees factored in for a total
wobble on the earth of 20 - 30 degrees and 46 - 66 degrees on the moon.
A fifteen degree wobble over a 12 hour period would amount to one hour
of movement, or approximately 1,000 miles over 12 hours, that would be
at a speed of 83 miles an hour which could easily pass unnoticed in th
atmosphere.

I have already made note that tides would only be affected in the
North/south directions against east/west running coastlines, otherwise
the East west currents would largely remain undisturbed. I spoke with my
son on the Gulf coast a couple of months ago and he tells me that the
high and low tides have been unusually high and unusually low by a
factor of about 6 feet. I also saw a story on RMN about an Alaskan
village that is being inundated by higher tides and also a story about
the ice caps melting much faster than anticipated.

If the ice caps are melting, and the one in the North is all water
and the one in the South is half water and half earth, then the effect
of the ice melting in both locations would be similar to adding a weight
onto a harmonic balancer and therefore counter weighting it. What would
happen to an harmonic balancer that was spinning at a thousand miles per
hour and you suddenly redistributed the weight from one side to the
other, or spread it around? Do you suppose it might wobble?

I think the recent solar storms may be causing more trouble that we
even suspected. Currently most scientists think that Global Warming is
about 97% the result of solar activity. About two percent geological and
about 1 percent human. If we are heating up even faster than anticipated
this wobble may be being caused by that magnified redistribution of wieght.

The only problem with this senario is that as it increases, by
dragging the wobble to the overweighted side, in short dipping the
equator south, it decreases the albedo - amount of sunlight reflected
from a surface - of the sunlight as it strikes the northern polar caps
and that means the ice absorbs more of the ultraviolet radiation rather
than reflecting it and therefore increases the temperature of the ice.
This of course incrteases the speed with which the ice will melt which
in turn increases the counterbalancing redistribution of weight.

The upside is, we should be able to test this theory against real
events.

By observing the lunar libration we should be able to calculate
both the degree and rate of wobble and therefore determine if the
problem is progressive, or intermittent. I hope for intermittent and
reflect on warning my friends if it is progressive.

Hang on Cliff, we are in for a bit of a ride...

Resistance is Strapped In...

Old August 10th 04, 01:39 AM
Wally Anglesea

"Mad Scientist" , winner of the July 2004 Victor
Von Framkenstein Weird Science Award, wrote in message
. rogers.com...

Read onto the rebuttle I posted about global warming. The "researchers" Mad
"Scientist" promotes are known nitwits.

Date: Sunday, 8 August 2004, 10:16 a.m.

[...]

Rubbish. kooks playing at science often make such outrageous claims, but
never, ever present evidence

Here's a RECENT article.

"Andrew Yee" wrote in message
m...

Press and Public Relations Department

Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science

Munich, Germany

Contact:

Prof. Sami K. Solanki

Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research, Katlenburg-Lindau

Tel.: +49 5556 979-325

Fax: +49 5556 979-190

E-mail:

Prof. Manfred Schüssler

Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research, Katlenburg-Lindau

Tel.: +49 5556 979-469

Fax: +49 5556 979-190

E-mail:

August 2nd, 2004

SP / C / 2004 (26)

How Strongly Does the Sun Influence the Global Climate?

Studies at the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research reveal:

solar

activity affects the climate but plays only a minor role in the current

global

warming

Since the middle of the last century, the Sun is in a phase of

unusually high

activity, as indicated by frequent occurrences of sunspots, gas eruptions,

and

radiation storms. Researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Solar System

Research (MPS) in Katlenburg-Lindau (Germany) and at the University of

Oulu

(Finland) have come to this conclusion after they have succeeded in

reconstructing the solar activity based on the sunspot frequency since 850

AD.

To this end, they have combined historical sunspot records with

measurements of

the frequency of radioactive isotopes in ice cores from Greenland and the

Antarctic. As the scientists have reported in the renowned scientific

journal,

Physical Review Letters, since 1940 the mean sunspot number is higher than

it

has ever been in the last thousand years and two and a half times higher

than

the long term average. The temporal variation in the solar activity

displays a

similarity to that of the mean temperature of the Earth. These scientific

results therefore bring the influence of the Sun on the terrestrial

climate, and

in particular its contribution to the global warming of the 20th century,

into

the forefront of current interest.

However, researchers at the MPS have shown that the Sun can be

responsible for,

at most, only a small part of the warming over the last 20-30 years. They

took

the measured and calculated variations in the solar brightness over the

last 150

years and compared them to the temperature of the Earth. Although the

changes in

the two values tend to follow each other for roughly the first 120 years,

the

Earth's temperature has risen dramatically in the last 30 years while the

solar

brightness has not appreciably increased in this time.

Astronomers have regularly observed sunspots since the invention of

the

telescope in the early 17th century. These are areas on the surface of the

Sun

where energy flow from the interior is reduced due to the strong magnetic

fields

that they exhibit. As a result, these regions cool by about 1500 deg and

thus

appear relatively darker than their surroundings at 5800 deg. The number

of

sunspots varies over an 11-year activity period, which in turn is subject

longer term variations. For example, in the second half of the 17th

century,

there were hardly any sunspots at all.

The German-Finnish research team has now applied a new method to

obtain insight

into the development of the sunspot number from before the beginning of

direct

records. In addition, these experts have analyzed measured abundances of

beryllium-10 in ice cores from Greenland and the Antarctic. This

radioactive

isotope is created when energetic particles in cosmic rays enter the

Earth's

atmosphere and split atomic nuclei of nitrogen and oxygen. Beryllium-10

(half-life 1.6 million years) is a product of this decay process, which is

then

washed out of the atmosphere by precipitation and then deposited in layers

in

the polar ice fields. Since the cosmic rays are partially deflected by the

solar

magnetic field filling interplanetary space, the production rate of

Beryllium-10

in the atmosphere varies with the strength of this magnetic field, which

in turn

is associated with the number of sunspots.

A comparison of the Beryllium-10 data with the historical records of

sunspot

numbers reveals a high degree of correlation. Thus it was possible for the

researchers to test and calibrate this new reconstruction method. The

solar

research team has managed, for the first time, to substantiate with

consistent

physical models every link in the complex chain, from the isotope

abundance in

the ice back to the sunspot number. This includes the creation of

Beryllium-10

by cosmic rays, the modulation of the cosmic rays by the interplanetary

magnetic

field, and finally the relationship between the solar magnetic field and

the

number of sunspots. In this way it was possible for the scientists to

obtain,

for the first time, a reliable, quantitative determination of the sunspot

numbers even for times before direct measurements were made.

These data show clearly that the Sun is in a state of unusually high

activity,

for about the last 60 years. The time interval for which this statement

can be

made has been tripled by these new investigations, for now the

reconstructed

sunspot numbers extend back to 850 AD. Another period of enhanced solar

activity, but with substantially fewer sunspots than now, occurred in the

Middle

Ages from 1100 to 1250. At that time, a warm period reigned over the

Earth, as

the Vikings established flourishing settlements in Greenland.

The Sun affects the climate through several physical processes: For

one thing,

the total radiation, particularly that in the ultraviolet range, varies

with

solar activity. When many sunspots are visible, the Sun is somewhat

brighter

than in "quiet" times and radiates considerably more in the ultraviolet.

On the

other hand, the cosmic ray intensity entering the Earth's atmosphere

varies

opposite to the solar activity, since the cosmic ray particles are

deflected by

the Sun's magnetic field to a greater or lesser degree. According to a

much

discussed model proposed by Danish researchers, the ions produced by

cosmic rays

act as condensation nuclei for larger suspension particles and thus

contribute

to cloud formation. With increased solar activity (and stronger magnetic

fields), the cosmic ray intensity decreases, and with it the amount of

cloud

coverage, resulting in a rise of temperatures on the Earth. Conversely, a

reduction in solar activity produces lower temperatures.

Two scientists from the MPI for Solar System Research have calculated

for the

last 150 years the Sun's main parameters affecting climate, using current

measurements and the newest models: the total radiation, the ultraviolet

output,

and the Sun's magnetic field (which modulates the cosmic ray intensity).

They

come to the conclusion that the variations on the Sun run parallel to

climate

changes for most of that time, indicating that the Sun has indeed

influenced the

climate in the past. Just how large this influence is, is subject to

further

investigation. However, it is also clear that since about 1980, while the

total

solar radiation, its ultraviolet component, and the cosmic ray intensity

all

exhibit the 11-year solar periodicity, there has otherwise been no

significant

increase in their values. In contrast, the Earth has warmed up

considerably

within this time period. This means that the Sun is not the cause of the

present

global warming.

These findings bring the question as to what is the connection between

variations in solar activity and the terrestrial climate into the

focal point of current research. The influence of the Sun on the Earth

is seen increasingly as one cause of the observed global warming since

1900, along with the emission of the greenhouse gas, carbon dioxide,

from the combustion of coal, gas, and oil. "Just how large this role

is, must still be investigated, since, according to our latest

knowledge on the variations of the solar magnetic field, the

significant increase in the Earth's temperature since 1980 is indeed

to be ascribed to the greenhouse effect caused by carbon dioxide,"

says Prof. Sami K. Solanki, solar physicist and director at the Max

Planck Institute for Solar System Research.

Original work:

Krivova N.A., Solanki S.K.

Solar Variability and Global Warming: A Statistical Comparison Since

1850 Adv. Space Res. 34, 361-364 (2004)

Ilya G. Usoskin, Sami K. Solanki, Manfred Schüssler, Kalevi Mursula,

Katja Alanko A Millennium Scale Sunspot Reconstruction: Evidence For

an Unusually Active Sun Since the 1940's Physical Review Letters 91,

211101-1--211101-4 (2003)

Sami K. Solanki, Natalie A. Krivova

Can Solar Variability Explain Global Warming Since 1970? Journal of

Geophysical Research 108, 1200 (2003)

IMAGE CAPTIONS:

[Fig.1:

http://www.mpg.de/bilderBerichteDoku...lerie/bilderWi

ssenschaft/2003/10/schuessler1/Web_Zoom.jpeg

(185KB)]

Extended group of sunspots visible in the southern hemisphere of the Sun

in

September 1998. These sunspots are fascinating not only due to their large

size,

but also due to their detailed structure that reveals a dynamic

complexity. The

smallest visible features are about 350 km across, the entire area covers

about

200,000 km in the horizontal direction. The sub-pictures in this mosaic

were

obtained with the German Vacuum Tower Telescope at the Observatorio del

Teide

(Teneriffe).

Image: Kiepenheuer Institute for Solar Physics, Freiburg im Breisgau

[Fig. 2:

http://www.mpg.de/bilderBerichteDoku...lerie/bilderWi

ssenschaft/2003/10/schuessler2/Web_Zoom.jpeg

(135KB)]

A large sunspot visible on the Sun in June 2000. The picture shows a

section of

the Sun's surface 80,000 by 80,000 km across. Sunspots appear darker than

their

surroundings because their strong magnetic fields suppress the energy

transported by gas flows. This picture was taken with the German Vacuum

Tower

Telescope at the Observatorio del Teide (Teneriffe).

Image: Kiepenheuer Institute for Solar Physics, Freiburg im Breisgau

So is the rest of the stuff

Old August 10th 04, 02:01 AM
Wally Anglesea

"Mad Scientist" , Winner of the Victor Von
Frankenstein Weird Science Award for July 2004 wrote in message
ers.com...

Wally the dumbass imbecile again proves how stupid he is.

I note that with one single rebuttal, I exposed you as an idiot. Your
decendants, should you spawn any, will see that in years to come. Think
about that.

Now, care to take this over to alt.usenet.kooks, where this all belongs, and
we can leave alt.astronomy out of this, or are you just merely afraid?.
Lot's of people over there know you now. Fame is yours for the asking,

Date: Sunday, 8 August 2004, 10:16 a.m.

[...]

"Andrew Yee" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

Wally Dumassea proves with one stroke how utterly stupid he is. My
talking dog has a higher IQ.

Old August 10th 04, 02:21 AM
Wally Anglesea

"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
gers.com...
SNIP

You ignored (or could not understand, more like) a whole passel of evidence
that shows one of your misconceptions is exactly that, to post this:

Wally Dumassea proves with one stroke how utterly stupid he is. My
talking dog has a higher IQ.

Your dog isn't talking. It's the voices in your head. You need to see a
shrink.

Soon.

Old August 10th 04, 02:30 AM
Mad Scientist

Wally Dumbassea the talking monkey related to Darwin wrote:

"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
gers.com...
SNIP

You ignored (or could not understand, more like) a whole passel of evidence
that shows one of your misconceptions is exactly that, to post this:

Wally Dumassea proves with one stroke how utterly stupid he is. My
talking dog has a higher IQ.

Your dog isn't talking. It's the voices in your head. You need to see a
shrink.

Soon.

Queerboy Dumbassea is ****ed that I am not into fruitcake sex like him
and his queerboy kook friends.

Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
First Moonwalk? A Russian Perspective Jason Donahue Amateur Astronomy 3 February 1st 04 03:33 AM
First Moonwalk? A Russian Perspective Astronaut Misc 0 January 31st 04 03:11 AM