NEED: Viking lander arm tech details

Old September 2nd 06, 05:58 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dave Michelson

Default NEED: Viking lander arm tech details

Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

One of the things I haven't forgotten seeing in a museum
(Smithsonian?) 20 years ago was that ingenious-looking tube-ish beam
that rolls out of a small canister. It belongs in some Clever Gadget
Hall of Fame....

You're likely referring to Canadian STEM (Storable Tubular Extendible
Member) technology. First used in space aboard Alouette I back in 1962
(where it was used to implement two long sounding dipoles (150 feet
and 75 feet tip-to-tip)), STEMs have since been used on many space
vehicles. The version used aboard Alouette I was developed by Spar
Aerospace from a National Research Council of Canada design for an
extendible mast antenna from the WW II era.

--
Dave Michelson

Old September 2nd 06, 06:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Dave Michelson wrote:

You're likely referring to Canadian STEM (Storable Tubular Extendible
Member) technology.

Like you get when you see a Shania Twain video, ay?
You set yourself up for that one, you hoser! ;-)

Bob and Doug McKenzie