Early take on Mercury capsule

Old August 19th 06, 12:06 AM posted to sci.space.history
EricT

Default Early take on Mercury capsule

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

This is one of the oddest things I've ever seen...how is supposed to get
his arm to bend like that?:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...wear-in-space/

I'm Gumby damn it!

Old August 19th 06, 12:12 AM posted to sci.space.history
Chuck Stewart

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:24:35 -0500, Pat Flannery wrote:

http://www.nuytco.com/products/exosuit.shtml
Off come the air tanks, on go the rocket launchers, Y-tube projector,
and lift engines.

By Jove! I think he's got it!

Picture some of these descending out of the clouds toward you:
http://www.archnewsnow.com/features/...re0147_02x.jpg
http://www.nsnews.com/issues00/w082100/exosuit.jpg

To stay on topic... imagine fitting one into a
Mercury capsule

Pat

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"
Old August 19th 06, 12:21 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

EricT wrote:

I'm Gumby damn it!

It seems to be a single centrally placed sleeve that you are supposed to
be able to stick either arm into.
From the way it's positioned it looks like he has his left arm in it,
but that would imply he has his head tuned around hard to the left to
look out the faceplate, which can't be comfortable.

Pat
Old August 19th 06, 01:19 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Chuck Stewart wrote:

Picture some of these descending out of the clouds toward you:
http://www.archnewsnow.com/features/...re0147_02x.jpg
http://www.nsnews.com/issues00/w082100/exosuit.jpg

To stay on topic... imagine fitting one into a
Mercury capsule

I think you'd need a Gemini for size. I always pictured the pod as
looking like an egg.
Somewhere out there on the web I saw a cutaway of one of those landing
pods once.
When Starship Troopers was first published it was "Starship Soldier" in
the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction;
Here's the cover of that edition (unfortunately small), which may have
had some direct input from Heinlein regarding the powersuit design:
http://www.wegrokit.com/mfsf1159.jpg

Pat
Old August 21st 06, 03:55 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

I've posted the article that cover is about. It's available at:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...-man-in-space/

Pat Flannery wrote:
Well they got the spacesuit fairly right; as to where they got the rest
from....
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/.../lrg_cover.jpg
Here's the "Space" subsection of that website BTW:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/category/space/

Old August 21st 06, 06:19 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

wrote:

I've posted the article that cover is about. It's available at:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...-man-in-space/

Thanks! That's a hilarious website you've got there BTW; I'm still
chortling about those bizarre Lycoming aircraft engine ads featuring the
aircraft with eyeballs:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...lers/#more-838
So the astronaut may go mad and be unable to close his eyes?
Did anyone notice that the "In Space" part of the article title looks a
lot like the "Lost in Space" title from the TV series?:
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...056630392_.jpg
I forwarded a link to this article and the spacesuit one to Mark Wade's
Encyclopedia Astronautica, as he doesn't have anything about BROOM on
his website.

Pat
Old August 21st 06, 12:02 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_1_]

On 20 Aug 2006 19:55:11 -0700, wrote:

I've posted the article that cover is about. It's available at:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...-man-in-space/

....Everyone try reading the copy out loud, using the same voice that
was used on that NASA PAO film on Shepard's first flight. It really
adds a retro nostalgic touch to the damn thing even tho by today's
standards its hokey as hell!

....BTW, excellent site you have there!

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old August 21st 06, 12:04 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_1_]

On 20 Aug 2006 19:55:11 -0700, wrote:

I've posted the article that cover is about. It's available at:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...-man-in-space/

....Oh, and speaking of something really hokey:

"It gets fiercely hot inside the cockpit. You think your space suit is
on fire. But you’ve got one more maneuver to perform. Struggling
against every breath that sears your lungs, you manage to touch off
the last battery of retrorockets. Abruptly, your craft turns nose-up
and you come down on the broad base of the cockpit for a gentle
landing."

....Nose first? Cue Pat :-)

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old August 21st 06, 01:28 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dale[_1_]

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 06:04:18 -0500, OM
wrote:

...Oh, and speaking of something really hokey:

"It gets fiercely hot inside the cockpit. You think your space suit is
on fire. But you’ve got one more maneuver to perform. Struggling
against every breath that sears your lungs, you manage to touch off
the last battery of retrorockets. Abruptly, your craft turns nose-up
and you come down on the broad base of the cockpit for a gentle
landing."

...Nose first? Cue Pat :-)

I suppose that explains why he was feeling a tad bit warm.

Dale
Old August 21st 06, 02:39 PM posted to sci.space.history
mike flugennock

OM wrote:
On 20 Aug 2006 19:55:11 -0700, wrote:

I've posted the article that cover is about. It's available at:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...-man-in-space/

...Everyone try reading the copy out loud, using the same voice that
was used on that NASA PAO film on Shepard's first flight. It really
adds a retro nostalgic touch to the damn thing even tho by today's
standards its hokey as hell!

G@d, that's friggin' hilarious...especially since back then, everybody
still thought that the craft was launched by an actual human who watched
the count go to zero and push a button.

(really, did they actually _do_ that? Sounds really
inefficient. C'mon, really? OK, maybe on those two
Redstone flights...hell, I used to know this...)

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org