MINERALS AND FOSSILS ARE UN-ANIMATED THINGs, SO WHAT IS THAT ??

Old March 14th 04, 06:55 PM
Eric Pouhier

Default MINERALS AND FOSSILS ARE UN-ANIMATED THINGs, SO WHAT IS THAT ??

Some have probably noticed for long that on microscopic images for the nasa rover, some 'spherules'
have dark dots, here is a black dot on the spherule that clearly MOVE from one day to the other !

http://tourlaville.nerim.net/spherulemovingdot.gif
This is probably VERY IMPORTANT to caracterise the spherules.

Made from two images of the same area taken Opportunity SOL46 (11:41am) and sol47 (11:37am)

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P2937M2M1.HTML
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P2957M2M1.HTML

MINERALS AND FOSSILS ARE UN-ANIMATED THINGs, SO WHAT iS THAT ??
************************************************** *******************
http://tourlaville.nerim.net/spherulemovingdot.gif

I have also made this anaglyph (red/cyan glasses) of the tri-spherule using the following
pair (SOL46 and 48).
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P2956M2M1.HTML
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P2937M2M1.HTML

The 3D is quite good, I hope you will enjoy it !
http://tourlaville.nerim.net/MArsTriSpherule.jpg

ERic
Life is life )

Old March 14th 04, 07:07 PM
Joe Knapp

"Eric Pouhier" wrote in message
[...]

Great shot Eric--the 3d is terrific. It looks like the particles are
adhering to the spheres either through electrostatic charge or magnetism?

The dancing particles could be moved by the wind or saltating sand?

Joe

Old March 14th 04, 11:39 PM
Thomas Lee Elifritz

March 14, 2004

************************************************* ********************
http://tourlaville.nerim.net/spherulemovingdot.gif

I have also made this anaglyph (red/cyan glasses) of the tri-spherule using the following
pair (SOL46 and 48).
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P2956M2M1.HTML
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P2937M2M1.HTML

The 3D is quite good, I hope you will enjoy it !
http://tourlaville.nerim.net/MArsTriSpherule.jpg

ERic
Life is life )

There you have it, absolute proof that spherules rock!

My first guess is that either the crater is very recent, and the
photochemical decomposition occurs at a very fast rate, or ... there are
a few powerful permanent magnet brushless DC actuator motors in the
instrument package, and the grains indeed are responding to their
magnetic fields.

One particular 'thread of grains' appears to stand right up!

Thomas Lee Elifritz
http://elifritz.members.atlantic.net

Old March 15th 04, 01:20 AM
MarsFossils

Gad, these pictures are brilliant. The 3D spherule picture shows that
the line of spherules have acted like a wind block and accumulated a
bunch of blown sand around them. These two images are a really nice
piece of work.

Michael

Mars Fossils, Pseudofossils or Problematica
http://aix1.uottawa.ca/~weinberg/mars
Old March 15th 04, 04:28 AM
Ralph Nesbitt

[...]

Some of the objects in the above observations appear to be "Desiccated". To
determine if this hypothesis/assumption is correct would require a series of
observations over a period of time.
Ralph Nesbitt

Old March 15th 04, 08:23 AM
Thad Floryan

Thomas Lee Elifritz wrote in message .. .
[...]
There you have it, absolute proof that spherules rock!

My first guess is that either the crater is very recent, and the
photochemical decomposition occurs at a very fast rate, or ... there are
a few powerful permanent magnet brushless DC actuator motors in the
instrument package, and the grains indeed are responding to their
magnetic fields.

One particular 'thread of grains' appears to stand right up!

It was already determined by the Viking mission that Mars' dust is highly
magnetic. That was w-a-y back in, what, 1976.

Old March 15th 04, 01:48 PM
Joe Knapp

"Eric Pouhier" wrote in message
Some have probably noticed for long that on microscopic images for the

nasa rover, some 'spherules'
have dark dots, here is a black dot on the spherule that clearly MOVE from

one day to the other !

http://tourlaville.nerim.net/spherulemovingdot.gif
This is probably VERY IMPORTANT to caracterise the spherules.

That one was so much fun, here's another:

http://www.copperas.com/astro/mi_anim2.jpg (2MB animated gif)

Made from these two images, taken about 25 hours apart:

Image info for: 1M132267282EFF05AMP2937M2M1
Spacecraft: OPPORTUNITY
Camera: Microscopic Imager, dust cover OPEN
Spacecraft clock: 132267282 (seconds since January 1, 2000, 11:58:55.816
UTC)
Product type: EDR full frame
Site number: 05
Drive number: AM
Command sequence number: P2937 (PMA or remote sensing instrument) MI
Producer: MIPL/JPL
Acquisition time (Earth): Thu Mar 11 03:42:35 2004
Time zone: EST
Acquisition time (Mars): Sol 46 11:35:19
Image info for: 1M132355456EFF05AMP2957M2M1
Spacecraft: OPPORTUNITY
Camera: Microscopic Imager, dust cover OPEN
Spacecraft clock: 132355456 (seconds since January 1, 2000, 11:58:55.816
UTC)
Product type: EDR full frame
Site number: 05
Drive number: AM
Command sequence number: P2957 (PMA or remote sensing instrument) MI
Producer: MIPL/JPL
Acquisition time (Earth): Fri Mar 12 04:12:09 2004
Time zone: EST
Acquisition time (Mars): Sol 47 11:25:46

Joe

Old March 15th 04, 01:51 PM
Joe Knapp

"Eric Pouhier" wrote

http://www.copperas.com/astro/mi_anim2.gif (2MB animated gif)

Old March 15th 04, 02:52 PM
Mickelodeon

That one was so much fun, here's another:

http://www.copperas.com/astro/mi_anim2.gif (2MB animated gif)

Made from these two images, taken about 25 hours apart:

Baby hortas of course. What else could they be?