Reionization Energy or Universe Mass Budget

Old December 24th 16, 11:14 AM posted to sci.astro.research
[email protected]

Default Reionization Energy or Universe Mass Budget

[Moderator's note: Reformatted. PLEASE limit unquoted lines to 72
characters or so! -P.H.]

I haven't figured out how to calculate this value, should be simple so
I'm just missing something I think.

From Madau plots etc., I get star formation rates and luminosity over
age of universe. The universe began with a finite quantity of baryonic
mass, mostly H and He with trace of Li. So the remaining gas is
whatever the total is, minus the the quantity that collapsed and turned
into (first) stars during reionization.

I've seen some plots that show about 700M years for this process, but
take it that this is under study still.

I am wondering what the total energy required to re ionize was (total
for the "observable universe today")

I can get the energy per H ionization easily. So if I knew the total
mass of the universe and the fraction that formed into first stars, I
could do the calculation.

Is this energy value well known, and or are any of the values needed to
calculate it known? I've seen DE and DM vs normal matter showing ratios
like 95% dark stuff DE + DM and 5% atoms. But to get an actual value, I
need so mething like kg per Mpc^3 in gas and in stars during
reionization period.

Any direction appreciated.

rt