The Pi Thread

Old August 29th 17, 04:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default The Pi Thread

The standard of discussion is so poor mathematically and geometrically that only with the greatest courtesy can it be called a discussion.

The relationship between diameter and circumference creates a non periodic pattern of decimals which are neither ordered nor random but with the geometric Pi not much can be said beyond this feature but once it is transferred over to the Phi proportion and the similar non periodic nature of the decimals following 1.6180... then something special begins to happen.

The non periodicity extends to a geometric structure between pentagonal and hexagonal geometry in the form of Penrose tiling where the structures follow the Phi proportion without becoming ordered yet to maintain the structure the patterns are not disordered either -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penros...umShephard1987

About 27 years ago I created a geometry which allowed the geometry to exist in periodic form at the expense of 3D geometry -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Quasicrystal

You unfortunate folk don't have a feel for the work of people in antiquity and their systems but I do which is why I love their works and the language they spoke.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/26/1...try-archeology

Old August 29th 17, 05:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Ha ha!

Gkell1

This account is a sock puppet of Oriel36 (talk · contribs · logs), and it has been blocked indefinitely.

Oriel36

This account is currently blocked. The latest block log entry is provided below for reference:

23:33, 28 October 2010 Georgewilliamherbert (talk | contribs) blocked Oriel36 (talk | contribs) with an expiration time of indefinite (account creation blocked) (Disruptive editing)
Old August 29th 17, 06:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

The answer to the dedicated screaming heads is not to retaliate against the astrophotographers but then again it would be a struggle to justify a distinction at this point in time.
Old September 1st 17, 02:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 9:20:50 AM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

The relationship between diameter and circumference creates a non periodic
pattern of decimals which are neither ordered nor random but with the geometric
Pi not much can be said beyond this feature but once it is transferred over to
the Phi proportion and the similar non periodic nature of the decimals following
1.6180... then something special begins to happen.

Funny you should mention that, as I recently came across this paper:

http://www.fq.math.ca/Papers1/46_47-1/Chan_12-08.pdf

John Savard
Old September 2nd 17, 07:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 7:36:35 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 9:20:50 AM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

The relationship between diameter and circumference creates a non periodic
pattern of decimals which are neither ordered nor random but with the geometric
Pi not much can be said beyond this feature but once it is transferred over to
the Phi proportion and the similar non periodic nature of the decimals following
1.6180... then something special begins to happen.

Funny you should mention that, as I recently came across this paper:

http://www.fq.math.ca/Papers1/46_47-1/Chan_12-08.pdf

And here's a web page giving another relation between pi and phi:

https://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com...-golden-ratio/

John Savard
Old September 10th 17, 04:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

I suppose this is as good a place as any to announce that I've added a page about pi

http://www.quadibloc.com/math/circint.htm

to my web site.

John Savard