Lunar Conjunction with Jupiter

Old May 19th 05, 10:40 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Default Lunar Conjunction with Jupiter

Dear Friends,

First light with the new AP160 will be tomorrow with an attempt to
pursue some high-power high-resolution imaging of the lunar surface.
Tonight's effort was geared at more in setting up the equipment in a
sort of production mode configuration with the conjunction of the moon
with Jupiter representing a means to test various aspects of the
configuration.

The dramatic difference in the apparent diameter of the Jovian
satellites with that of the moon is so great that it poses a further
challenge in itself, not to mention the equally dramatic difference in
magnitudes. Anyway, here is a "quick and dirty" result from this
evening: http://www.perseus.gr/Work-Area/jup-moon-20050519.jpg ...

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Old May 19th 05, 11:03 PM
Dave Jessie

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote in message
snip
The dramatic difference in the apparent diameter of the Jovian satellites
with that of the moon is so great that it poses a further challenge in
itself, not to mention the equally dramatic difference in magnitudes.
Anyway, here is a "quick and dirty" result from this evening:
http://www.perseus.gr/Work-Area/jup-moon-20050519.jpg ...

Anthony,

Amazing!

Dave

Old May 20th 05, 08:07 AM
Beta Persei

"Anthony Ayiomamitis" ha scritto nel messaggio
Dear Friends,
Anyway, here is a "quick and dirty" result from this evening:
http://www.perseus.gr/Work-Area/jup-moon-20050519.jpg ...

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Uh!... That's a single shot? Unbelievable!!

--
Beta Persei
45° 35' N

Remove "_nospam" to reply

Old May 20th 05, 07:45 PM
Thierry

"Anthony Ayiomamitis" wrote in message
Dear Friends,

First light with the new AP160 will be tomorrow with an attempt to
pursue some high-power high-resolution imaging of the lunar surface.
Tonight's effort was geared at more in setting up the equipment in a
sort of production mode configuration with the conjunction of the moon
with Jupiter representing a means to test various aspects of the
configuration.

The dramatic difference in the apparent diameter of the Jovian
satellites with that of the moon is so great that it poses a further
challenge in itself, not to mention the equally dramatic difference in
magnitudes. Anyway, here is a "quick and dirty" result from this
evening: http://www.perseus.gr/Work-Area/jup-moon-20050519.jpg ...

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Hi Anthony,

I never imagine that we could record without mask the Moon, Jupiter and its
main satellites similtaneously.
I have well seen close conjunctions between the Moon and planets but this
one looks unusual.
There must be a huge difference of brightness... (what could explain the
bright disk of jupiter and the visibility of its satellites in this quite
long snapshot)
But isn't there an hidden mask or some "tricks" to get this final shot (I 'd
say it is well balanced, because jupiter is white but the result if superb)
it is a pity that you didn't record it un color...

Tell us the true Anthony ;-)

Thierry
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry

Old May 20th 05, 08:23 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Thierry wrote:

[...]

Salut Thierry,

I never imagine that we could record without mask the Moon, Jupiter and its
main satellites similtaneously.
I have well seen close conjunctions between the Moon and planets but this
one looks unusual.
There must be a huge difference of brightness... (what could explain the
bright disk of jupiter and the visibility of its satellites in this quite
long snapshot)
But isn't there an hidden mask or some "tricks" to get this final shot (I 'd
say it is well balanced, because jupiter is white but the result if superb)
it is a pity that you didn't record it un color...

Because the final image was not as good as I wished, I did not provide
too much additional information since it will be discarded soon and did
not want to spend the additional time writing it up. I used the
technique discussed in the May/2005 issue in the article by Rob Gendler
involving the use of multiple scopes of varying focal lengths to
construct an image.

Tell us the true Anthony ;-)

There, you have have!

I hope for a MUCH better result next time.

Old May 20th 05, 09:20 PM
Thierry

...Because the final image was not as good as I wished, I did not provide
too much additional information since it will be discarded soon and did not
want to spend the additional time writing it up. I used the technique
discussed in the May/2005 issue in the article by Rob Gendler involving the
use of multiple scopes of varying focal lengths to construct an image.

Tell us the true Anthony ;-)
There, you have have!

I hope for a MUCH better result next time.

Anthony.

Thierry
---

I see ;-)
But if you want to make new tests, I think that for general views, color
shots 'l be finer, specially if you can record the brownish color or Jupiter
against some bluish stars... or any other special effect. Do take advantage
of the crisp images of your AP...
But I don't learn you anything I believe. You are not at your first light
(maybe with this AP, but not in astrophotography...)

Have a dark night

Thierry

Old May 21st 05, 02:51 AM
Jeff R

"Thierry" - wrote in message ...

"Anthony Ayiomamitis" wrote in message
Dear Friends,

The dramatic difference in the apparent diameter of the Jovian
satellites with that of the moon is so great that it poses a further
challenge in itself, not to mention the equally dramatic difference in
magnitudes. Anyway, here is a "quick and dirty" result from this
evening: http://www.perseus.gr/Work-Area/jup-moon-20050519.jpg ...

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Hi Anthony,

I never imagine that we could record without mask the Moon, Jupiter and

its
main satellites similtaneously.

My three-shot version of a similar event:

http://faxmentis.org/html/moonbyjove.html

--
Jeff R.

Old May 24th 05, 09:29 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Sat, 21 May 2005 11:51:27 +1000, "Jeff R"
wrote:

My three-shot version of a similar event:

http://faxmentis.org/html/moonbyjove.html

Heh heh - you'll have to work (the horizontal scroll-bar) to see mine
;-)

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old May 24th 05, 09:30 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Fri, 20 May 2005 00:40:26 +0300, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:

Dear Friends,

First light with the new AP160 will be tomorrow with an attempt to
pursue some high-power high-resolution imaging of the lunar surface.
Tonight's effort was geared at more in setting up the equipment in a
sort of production mode configuration with the conjunction of the moon
with Jupiter representing a means to test various aspects of the
configuration.

The dramatic difference in the apparent diameter of the Jovian
satellites with that of the moon is so great that it poses a further
challenge in itself, not to mention the equally dramatic difference in
magnitudes. Anyway, here is a "quick and dirty" result from this
evening: http://www.perseus.gr/Work-Area/jup-moon-20050519.jpg ...

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Very nice and good to see you back in image circulation Mr
Ayiomamitis!
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

Lunar Conjunction with Jupiter Anthony Ayiomamitis Astronomy Misc 18 May 26th 05 04:31 PM
Lunar Conjunction with Jupiter Anthony Ayiomamitis Amateur Astronomy 19 May 26th 05 04:31 PM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM