CSM Thruster Arrangement

Old June 26th 04, 01:29 AM
Charleston

Default CSM Thruster Arrangement

"rk" wrote in message
Sometimes I find the picture more descriptive than the text.

http://users.erols.com/stellare/csm_thrusters.jpg

Um, LMAOROTF. I was just getting ready to put up a very similar drawing but
you beat me to it. I think I will still do it though because it shows the
power source assignments too.

Daniel

Old June 26th 04, 06:13 PM
Charleston

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote:
"Charleston" wrote:
"rk" wrote:

Sometimes I find the picture more descriptive than the text.

http://users.erols.com/stellare/csm_thrusters.jpg

Um, LMAOROTF. I was just getting ready to put up a very similar drawing

but
you beat me to it. I think I will still do it though because it shows

the
power source assignments too.

Good idea.

Thanks, nothing like a reference drawing to get everyone on the same page.

Okay, it is up on my site: www.challengerdisaster.com

with this link.

CM/SM RCS Quad location-Reference Axes

to this file.

http://www.challengerdisaster.info/c...nce_axes .jpg

Daniel

Old June 27th 04, 05:37 AM
P. Maxson

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message om...
"Charleston" wrote in message news:er3Dc.8$Yu.5@fed1read04...
Um, LMAOROTF. I was just getting ready to put up a very similar drawing but
you beat me to it. I think I will still do it though because it shows the
power source assignments too.

Daniel

Good idea.

I have resized and renamed the file for you from Daniel's site (hope he doesn't mind)
it is now just a 6 character .jpg at 800x1211 and 145kb's rather than 1MB.

It is very readable. I sent it to your mail. Hope this helps the focus of the thread.

Old June 27th 04, 04:12 PM
LaDonna Wyss

"P. Maxson" wrote in message ...
"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message om...
"Charleston" wrote in message news:er3Dc.8$Yu.5@fed1read04...
Um, LMAOROTF. I was just getting ready to put up a very similar drawing but
you beat me to it. I think I will still do it though because it shows the
power source assignments too.

Daniel

Good idea.

I have resized and renamed the file for you from Daniel's site (hope he doesn't mind)
it is now just a 6 character .jpg at 800x1211 and 145kb's rather than 1MB.

It is very readable. I sent it to your mail. Hope this helps the focus of the thread.

Thanks, Paul. Actually, Daniel sent me an email late last night/this
morning giving me a page reference for that drawing. As soon as I
finish waking up I'll get it and then reply.
LaDonna
Old June 27th 04, 04:34 PM
Henry Spencer

rk wrote:
Sometimes I find the picture more descriptive than the text.
http://users.erols.com/stellare/csm_thrusters.jpg

Incidentally, in case it's not obvious, the reason the arrangement was
rather asymmetrical is to keep the thrusters away from the hot airflow
during reentry. The capsule reentered tilted, and in the original design
the airflow was roughly parallel to the +Z side of the cone. The actual
tilt was somewhat less -- the capsule ended up being rather crowded and it
proved impossible to shift the center of mass far enough off-center to
achieve that much tilt -- but that side was still the hot side.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old June 28th 04, 12:40 AM
LaDonna Wyss

(Henry Spencer) wrote in message ...
In article ,
rk wrote:
Sometimes I find the picture more descriptive than the text.
http://users.erols.com/stellare/csm_thrusters.jpg

Incidentally, in case it's not obvious, the reason the arrangement was
rather asymmetrical is to keep the thrusters away from the hot airflow
during reentry. The capsule reentered tilted, and in the original design
the airflow was roughly parallel to the +Z side of the cone. The actual
tilt was somewhat less -- the capsule ended up being rather crowded and it
proved impossible to shift the center of mass far enough off-center to
achieve that much tilt -- but that side was still the hot side.

Thank you for this. Charleston and I had this "discussion" this
morning via email. You're correct.
LaDonna
Old June 28th 04, 01:11 PM
Scott Hedrick

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
You're correct.

He's *Henry Spencer*- it goes without saying that he's correct.

Old June 28th 04, 11:24 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
You're correct.

He's *Henry Spencer*- it goes without saying that he's correct.

If it goes without saying, is that how Henry gets to Dictionopolis?

Old June 29th 04, 02:03 AM
OM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:24:52 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

If it goes without saying, is that how Henry gets to Dictionopolis?

Q: How does Henry get to Dictionopolis?

A: Correctly, man, correctly!

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr