Spaceship One lands

Old June 22nd 04, 02:22 PM
Neil Gerace

"Gene DiGennaro" wrote in message
om...
Now that private industry has an X-15 style ship flying, hopefully
they'll be able to fit her with some experiment packages paid for by
universities, just like the old X-15. Can't wait to see spacehip one
with external fuel tanks and pink ablative coatings a la X-15A2!

I can't wait to see one with a metre-high rear spoiler, 19" mags, xenon
headlights and blue LEDs below the sills. Oh, and a couple of 12" subwoofers
in the boot.

Old June 22nd 04, 03:14 PM
OM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:43:33 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
wrote:

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
"Neil Gerace" wrote in message

"Dale" wrote in message
news
Could they hold a Super Bowl in Hell, after it freezes over?

Hell *has* frozen over. The Eagles are touring again.

No, no, no.... They didn't break up, they only took a 14 year vacation.
(touring Melbourne soon - first concert sold out within an hour, second
concert sold out within the next hour and they are currently selling

tickets
for the third concert). 14,000 seat venue.

We here in Perth only get one, which is better than last time when they
passed us by altogether. They haven't been here since 1976.

....They should have stayed on vacation. The Eagles are the most
overrated band next to Dead Zeppelin, and the only reason they went to
rock is that they were too close to hippies to be allowed to continue
working as studio hacks in Nashville. We'd have been better off if
they stayed as Linda Ronstadt's backup band.

Except, of course, for Joe Walsh, who was the only one in that "band"
with talent *and* brains enough to go solo and leave those chumps
behind after making the mistake of leaving the James Gang and joining
up in the first place...

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 22nd 04, 03:21 PM
Neil Gerace

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...

Except, of course, for Joe Walsh, who was the only one in that "band"
with talent *and* brains enough to go solo and leave those chumps
behind after making the mistake of leaving the James Gang and joining
up in the first place...

Life's been good to him so far ...

Old June 22nd 04, 03:25 PM
OM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:10:32 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
wrote:

Yes, and I believe that if Paul Allen is really committed to this project,
the orbital tour coach will happen eventually. I'd be looking for Spaceship
XP sometime in the next 15 years

....So long as he skips the NT 3.1 and 3.5 versions. If I never see
either of those cluster****s installed on a system again in my
lifetime, I'll be eternally grateful.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 22nd 04, 04:06 PM
one_of_many

"Neil Gerace" wrote:

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message

Could the buckling have been the source of the bangs?

Be funny if it was a birdstrike.

That would be an altitude record for birds. What impresses me is the fact
that the CF (if that is, indeed, what it is) dented without breaking.
Old June 22nd 04, 04:11 PM
one_of_many

In article , "Alan
Erskine" wrote:

Always reminds me of the Buck Rogers ship from the old B&W ("Black and
White" and "Buck and Wilma") serial.

That was my first thought as well. But wouldn't you expect a spacecraft
supported in part by the VP of Microsoft to have lots of Windows?
Old June 22nd 04, 05:45 PM
Pat Flannery

Alan Erskine wrote:

Always reminds me of the Buck Rogers ship from the old B&W ("Black and
White" and "Buck and Wilma") serial.

The pointy nose with the portholes really does give SpaceshipOne a
1930's rocketship look, doesn't it?
All it needs it the barrel of the heat ray sticking out of the nose with
all its cooling fins on it.
Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rutan saw the drawings of
the Daimler Benz "B" aircraft at some point in his life; anybody who
designs planes of as unusual configuration as his are is bound to have
been interested in the strange German W.W. II designs. They beat NASA to
both the forward swept and scissors wings by around 40 years:
http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/ju287.html
http://www.luft46.com/bv/bvp202.html
And Rutan himself has made an asymmetrical aircraft with his Proteus,
which is something the Blohm and Voss company made sort of a specialty:
http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/bv141.html
In fact, just about everything Blohm and Voss designed was a little odd
in one way or another: http://www.luft46.com/bv/bv.html
http://www.geocities.com/asymmetrics/bv141tip.htm

Pat

Old June 22nd 04, 06:04 PM
Pat Flannery

Neil Gerace wrote:

Be funny if it was a birdstrike.

Venusian Pterodactyl Corps? Vulvator saw that giant pointed cylindrical
thing repeatedly thrusting itself higher and higher into the sky, and
said "Oh...I want one of those! Get me one of those RIGHT NOW!"...you
know what the Pterodactyls say about Vulvator: "U tya pizda, vedro so
svistom provalivaetsja!"

Pat