Spaceship One lands

Old June 22nd 04, 04:05 AM
Diane Wilson

says...

Did anyone catch exactly what Burt Rutan said about the re-entry mode
being historical. He made a point about it being safer. Of course, it
wouldn't work to dissipate the kinetic energy for an orbital re-entry,
would it?

See
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ss1/040620preview.html for a
description. It sounds like the wing flexes so that the spacecraft
is aerodynamically stable in a position that minimizes heating.

Whether it's safer or not remains to proven. A flexing wing
has its own failure modes.

Don't know about orbital re-entry kinetic energy, let alone
re-entry from interplanetary flight.

Diane
Old June 22nd 04, 04:47 AM
Neil Gerace

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
This is going to be a very long 168 hour fortnight, not just for the

people
at Scaled, but for thousands of people around the world.

168 hours is pretty short for a fortnight, but otherwise I agree

Old June 22nd 04, 04:49 AM
Neil Gerace

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message

Could the buckling have been the source of the bangs?

Be funny if it was a birdstrike.

Old June 22nd 04, 04:52 AM
Neil Gerace

"Diane Wilson" wrote in message
Don't know about orbital re-entry kinetic energy, let alone
re-entry from interplanetary flight.

No-one is suggesting that this particular spacecraft will ever be orbited,
let alone sent to Mars. People do build prototypes and test articles, you
know.

Old June 22nd 04, 05:58 AM
OM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:52:04 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
wrote:

"Diane Wilson" wrote in message
Don't know about orbital re-entry kinetic energy, let alone
re-entry from interplanetary flight.

No-one is suggesting that this particular spacecraft will ever be orbited,
let alone sent to Mars. People do build prototypes and test articles, you
know.

....And, let us not forget, "two" usually follows "one".

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 22nd 04, 05:58 AM
OM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:49:12 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
wrote:

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message

Could the buckling have been the source of the bangs?

Be funny if it was a birdstrike.

....Or space junk.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 22nd 04, 06:30 AM
Henry Spencer

Rick DeNatale wrote:
...He made a point about it being safer. Of course, it
wouldn't work to dissipate the kinetic energy for an orbital re-entry,
would it?

Not by itself. Indeed, even for a significantly higher suborbital
trajectory, you'd start needing serious thermal protection. Rutan's
cute hinged tail *might* still be useful, though. A winged reentry
vehicle of any kind wants to reenter pretty much belly-forward, and
it's nice if it's more or less aerodynamically stable that way, which
is awkward to arrange otherwise.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old June 22nd 04, 09:10 AM
Neil Gerace

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
wrote:

"Diane Wilson" wrote in message
Don't know about orbital re-entry kinetic energy, let alone
re-entry from interplanetary flight.

No-one is suggesting that this particular spacecraft will ever be

orbited,
let alone sent to Mars. People do build prototypes and test articles, you
know.

...And, let us not forget, "two" usually follows "one".

Yes, and I believe that if Paul Allen is really committed to this project,
the orbital tour coach will happen eventually. I'd be looking for Spaceship
XP sometime in the next 15 years

Old June 22nd 04, 09:27 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message MPG.1b4162ae44647e2a9896ed@news-server, Diane Wilson
writes
In article ,
says...
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:16:42 -0400, Rick DeNatale
wrote:

I'm probably not going to be the first to post this, but SS1 just landed
after successfully reaching 62 miles altitude!

Little though I want to contradict you, when last I checked the story
the altitude still wasn't confirmed. That was fairly late today.

According to
www.spaceflightnow.com, it was 100.1241 km. 124 meters
to spare!

Wow. They would _not_ have been happy if it was 99.8759 km :-)