SETI astronomers search for ET signal from Gliese 581

Old June 17th 12, 07:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
signifiespost

Default SETI astronomers search for ET signal from Gliese 581

This did not reveal nothing!

Further reference:
http://signifies.net/seti-search-of-gliese-581/
Old June 17th 12, 08:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_78_]

"signifiespost" wrote in message
This did not reveal nothing!

Then it must have revealed something. What was it?

Old June 17th 12, 09:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

signifiespost:

This did not reveal nothing!

OK, so what did it reveal?

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old June 17th 12, 09:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_78_]

"Davoud" wrote in message
signifiespost:

This did not reveal nothing!

OK, so what did it reveal?

It revealed the illiteracy of "signifiespost"

Old June 18th 12, 05:52 PM
srinivasbhatt srinivasbhatt is offline
Junior Member

Post

Check out the original report, pal!

http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.6466
On 2007 June 19, Gliese 581 was observed for 8 hours at 1230-1544 with the Australian Long Baseline Array. The dataset was searched for signals appearing on all interferometer baselines above five times the noise limit. A total of 222 potential SETI signals were detected and by using automated data analysis techniques, were ruled out as originating from the Gliese 581 system. From our results we place an upper limit of 7 MW/Hz on the power output of any isotropic emitter located in the Gliese 581 system, within this frequency range.

The Australian Baseline Array Telescope will not be able to detect signals below 7 MW/Hz! The learned researchers themselves are admitting the upper limit as 7 MW/Hz from Gliese 581 system! They were simultaneously mentioning about 222 potential signals as detected!

Wikipedia source on radiowaves:
Radio waves travel at the speed of light in a vacuum. If radio waves strike an electrically conductive object of any size, they are slowed according to that object's permeability and permativity!

It is difficult to presume that a signal travelling for such long distance did not strike any such object and did not vary its frequency!

The researchers took 5 long years to rule out signals reception in a limited range and for a very short period of time! But that doesn't rule out ET on Gliese 581!

We at signifiespost constantly remind ourselves to report with objectivity! You are invited to read other blogs too to find that yourselves!

quote
Old June 18th 12, 09:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_78_]

"srinivasbhatt" wrote in message

'Androcles[_78_ Wrote:
;1214314']"Davoud" wrote in message
...-
signifiespost:
-
This did not reveal nothing!-

OK, so what did it reveal?
-

--
srinivasbhatt

None of which has any relevance to the illiterate double
negative in "This did not reveal nothing", which does not
reveal the not grammatically not incorrect illiterate, "pal".

Old July 3rd 12, 01:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Morten Reistad

In article ,
srinivasbhatt wrote:

'Androcles[_78_ Wrote:

Check out the original report, pal!

The Australian Baseline Array Telescope will not be able to detect
signals below 7 MW/Hz! The learned researchers themselves are admitting
the upper limit as 7 MW/Hz from Gliese 581 system! They were
simultaneously mentioning about 222 potential signals as detected!

As a "gedankenexperiment", think what someone at Gliese581 would
make of earth, using the same technology. Our strongest transmitters
on AM (with a limited frequency span) are less than 2 MW, where most
of the energy is within 3.5 KHz off this core frequency; or
about 0.6 MW/Hz at best. Modern radio transmitters also avoid
radiating into space if they can, limiting this figure by possibly
an order of magnitude.

Earth would therefore be about an order of magnitude too far away,
and Gliese is only about 20 LY away. Even detecting us from Sirius
is a pretty tall order.

The Gliesians might just be able to detect the 50/60Hz signals from
our electricity grid, if we get that sufficiently in phase; but this
signal would probably be inconclusive for a seti search because of
the absence of an embedded signal, and the similarity to natural
processes.

Wikipedia source on radiowaves:
Radio waves travel at the speed of light in a vacuum. If radio waves
strike an electrically conductive object of any size, they are slowed
according to that object's permeability and permativity!

It is difficult to presume that a signal travelling for such long
distance did not strike any such object and did not vary its frequency!

The researchers took 5 long years to rule out signals reception in a
limited range and for a very short period of time! But that doesn't
rule out ET on Gliese 581!

Not at all. If you look at how far away we will be detectable, the
limit is around 1000ly, where the actual number of photons in the
signal of a low frequency 2MW radio station becomes a hard limit.

This does of course work the other way too. We would need to cover
the "dark" side of the moon with receivers to have a shot at getting
a signal from a Radio Lux located near Beetlegeuse. (800 ly).

Radio Lux, at 1.6MW uncontrolled radiation at 208 kHz and a 3.5 kHz
signal was the transmitter stedily sending the largest amount of (low-
energy) photons into space in human history. The VLF array and the
Kiev radar exceeded it, but only in brief intervals.

We at signifiespost constantly remind ourselves to report with
objectivity! You are invited to read other blogs too to find that
yourselves!

Or we could do the math ourselves. The antenna sensitivities needed
for even detection at 20 ly is not promising for seti. We wouldn't
find earth transmissions even at 20 ly with the current observations.

-- mrr