Device Makes Radio Waves Travel Faster Than Light!

Old July 2nd 09, 02:29 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_3_]

Default Device Makes Radio Waves Travel Faster Than Light!

Polarization Synchrotron. Credit: Singleton, et al., via Current.com

"A scientist has created a gadget that can make radio waves travel
faster than light. Einstein predicted that particles and information
can't travel faster than the speed of light, but phenomena like radio
waves are a different story, said John Singleton, who works at the Los
Alamos National Laboratory. The polarization synchrotron combines the
waves with a rapidly spinning magnetic field, and the result could
explain why pulsars — which are super-dense spinning stars that are a
subclass of neutron stars — emit such powerful signals, a phenomenon
that has baffled many scientists.

Singleton said the polarization synchrotron basically abuses radio
waves so severely that they finally give in and travel faster than
light. This may be what happens in pulsars, as well.

"Pulsars are rapidly rotating neutron stars that emit radio waves in
pulses, but what we don't know is why these pulses are so bright or
why they travel such long distances," Singleton said. "What we think
is these are transmitting the same way our machine does."

The device consists of a 2 meter-long gently curving arc of alumina (a
dielectric material), with a series of electrodes fitted at regular
intervals along its length. Applying a sinusoidal voltage across each
electrode and displacing the phase of the voltage very slightly from
one electrode to the next generates a sinusoidally-varying
polarization pattern that moves along the device. By carefully
adjusting the frequency of the voltage and the phase displacement the
researchers say they can make the wave travel at greater than the
speed of light. However no physical quantity of charge travels faster
than light speed.

And beyond explaining what has been a bit of a mystery to the
astronomical community, Singleton's discovery could have wide-ranging
technological impacts in areas such as medicine and communications, he
said.

"Because nobody's really thought about things that travel faster than
light before, this is a wide-open technological field," Singleton
said.

One possible use for faster than light radio waves — which are packed
into a very powerful wave the size of a pencil point — could be the
creation of a new generation of cell phones that communicate directly
to satellites, rather than transmitting through relay towers as they
now do.

Those phones would have more reliable service and would also be more
difficult for hackers to intercept, Singleton said.

Speedy radio waves could also revolutionize the computing industry.
Data could be transferred more quickly, and if used in semiconductors,
it would mean faster caches and the ability to communicate across
separate pieces of silicon nearly instantly.

In the health field, faster than light radio waves could be in
extremely targeted chemotherapy, where a patient takes the drugs, and
the radio waves are used to activate them very specifically in the
area around a tumor, Singleton said.

Truly amazing! So Einstein was wrong after all?

Double-A

Old July 2nd 09, 10:44 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Double a Do not jump yet faster than light signals have been kicked
around for 4o years. SR is still safe. TreBert

Old July 2nd 09, 11:18 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_3_]

On Jul 2, 2:44*pm, (G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:
Double a Do not jump yet *faster than light signals have been kicked
around for 4o years. *SR is still safe. TreBert

No one has yet been able to communicate at FTL.

Double-A

Old July 3rd 09, 12:20 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_3_]

On Jul 2, 4:01*pm, Saul Levy wrote:
I thought that greyfart and Sanny can, DA? *lmfjao!

No proof of it yet...

Saul Levy

Remember Mathew Orman and his FTL Cable? He mostly posted to the
physics groups. He even tried selling his faster than light
communications cable on eBay!

Double-A

Old July 3rd 09, 01:43 AM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Double a Arrow faster than light can hit the target before it leaves
the bow than its safe to say a radio photon can hit the antenna before
it leaves the transmitter. O well trebert

Old July 3rd 09, 02:36 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_3_]

On Jul 2, 5:43*pm, (G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:
Double a *Arrow faster than light can hit the target before it leaves
the bow than its safe to say a radio photon can hit the antenna before
it leaves the transmitter. * O well * *trebert

Well, all that's saying is that once the arrow hits the target, the
bow is predestined to shoot it. No free will! But then, did your
ever really feel in control of your life?

Double-A

Old July 3rd 09, 01:35 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Double A I could not have reached 81.6 if I did not have control. M J
lost control and so went his life. Its this control that separates man
from other animals treBert

Old July 3rd 09, 07:24 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_3_]

On Jul 3, 5:35*am, (G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:
Double A *I could not have reached 81.6 if I did not have control. M J
lost control and so went his life. Its this control that separates man
from other animals * treBert

You think so, Bert. But the truth is that it cannot be proven whether
we really have free will, or whether it is just an illusion. This has
been debated for centuries.

Double-A

Old July 3rd 09, 08:16 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Warhol[_1_]

On Jul 3, 8:24*pm, Double-A wrote:
On Jul 3, 5:35*am, (G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:

Double A *I could not have reached 81.6 if I did not have control. M J
lost control and so went his life. Its this control that separates man
from other animals * treBert

You think so, Bert. *But the truth is that it cannot be proven whether
we really have free will, or whether it is just an illusion. *This has
been debated for centuries.

Double-A

the only free will mankind has is to prepare Silver for my Holy Temple
or DIE like cowards... Mark my Words... and you will see.
Old July 3rd 09, 09:17 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_3_]

On Jul 3, 12:16*pm, Warhol wrote:
On Jul 3, 8:24*pm, Double-A wrote:

On Jul 3, 5:35*am, (G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:

Double A *I could not have reached 81.6 if I did not have control. M J
lost control and so went his life. Its this control that separates man
from other animals * treBert

You think so, Bert. *But the truth is that it cannot be proven whether
we really have free will, or whether it is just an illusion. *This has
been debated for centuries.

Double-A

the only free will mankind has is to prepare Silver for my Holy Temple
or DIE like cowards... Mark my Words... and you will see.

What? Gold is no good at your temple? What about yankee greenbacks?

Double-A