America's First Crewed Space Launch in Nearly a Decade Set for May 27

Old April 18th 20, 08:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default America's First Crewed Space Launch in Nearly a Decade Set for May 27

"Next month, NASA will launch its first astronaut mission from U.S. soil in almost
a decade. This mission marks the final test for SpaceX before NASA begins
regularly ferrying astronauts into orbit using the company’s Crew Dragon
spacecraft.

“BREAKING: On May 27, @NASA will once again launch American astronauts on American
rockets from American soil!” NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine tweeted Friday."

See:

https://gizmodo.com/americas-first-m...e-s-1842929142
Old April 18th 20, 01:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On Apr/18/2020 at 05:42, JF Mezei wrote :
From the NASA web site:
https://www.nasa.gov/specials/dm2/

##
Although the Crew Dragon being used for this flight test can stay in
orbit about 110 days, the specific mission duration will be determined
once on station based on the readiness of the next commercial crew
launch. The operational Crew Dragon spacecraft will be capable of
staying in orbit for at least 210 days as a NASA requirement.
##

Why would this Dragon vehicle have an on-orbit lifetime that is half of
the mandated one? Is there anything physically different on this one
compared to "production" models? If they aren't sure of the 210
duration, why 110? Did SpeceX only have time to put a test unit in a
fridge/stove combo for 110 days to validate it will function after and
they have had another one being tested since then and should have 210
day of test sometime during this trip?

I don't know, but I suspect it is a matter of having less consumables on
board. If you expect some leak rate of your internal atmosphere and
bring enough tanks to replenish the atmosphere for 210 days, you can
stay 210 days. If you bring only half the tanks...

Alain Fournier
Old April 20th 20, 09:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

"Next month, NASA will launch its first astronaut mission from U.S. soil in almost
a decade. This mission marks the final test for SpaceX before NASA begins
regularly ferrying astronauts into orbit using the company?s Crew Dragon
spacecraft.

?BREAKING: On May 27, @NASA will once again launch American astronauts on American
rockets from American soil!? NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine tweeted Friday."

See:

https://gizmodo.com/americas-first-m...e-s-1842929142

It's about time. Obviously, I hope this goes well and the astronauts
have a safe trip to ISS and back.

Jeff
Old April 20th 20, 09:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

From the NASA web site:
[...]

Good question. Obviously either something is different about this test
Dragon 2 or NASA is still certifying something that is on this Dragon 2
for the full 210 days.

As the 2 persons will become part of Expedition 63 and perform
experiments on ISS, I am curoius on why they might be called back before
the experiments they have trained for could be completed.

Would reading between the line point to "the come back home after 110
days or when Boeing's Starliner launches, whichever comes first?

Again, good question.

As I recall, Dragon2 docks on PMA2. Does Starliner also go there? or are
they outfitting the station with an additional docking port to allow for
seamless crew exchange without leaving station empty?

There are two International Docking Adapters (on one of each of the PMAs
on ISS) that the commercial crew vehicles can dock to.

During the shuttle program, NASA wanted to have a primary and backup
docking ports, so there have been two PMAs with docking ports on them
for quite some time. But those ports were APAS-95, so the International
Docking Adapters were launched on Dragon capsules and attached to the
APAS-95 ports. They present an International Docking System port for
visiting spacecraft (e.g. Dragon 2, Starliner, and etc.).

Fpr the purposes of this mission, I assume that the existing crew will
continue to rely on a Soyuz as escape pod? Or does the Dragon2 for this
flight come equipped with seats/suits for the full US side of the
station as escape pod?

As far as I know, yes. The existing crew will rely on Soyuz as their
emergency crew return vehicle. I don't think this will change, going
forward.

Jeff