46P, can't see

Old December 12th 18, 09:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Default 46P, can't see

StarDust wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 12:17:29 AM UTC-8, Paul Schlyter wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 23:59:16 -0800 (PST),

I meant common fractions, what we use in daily life, 1/2, 1/4, 3/8

etc...
Get it?
Carpenter don't use 167/200? 1/16" is good enough to cut a 2x4!
Try to measure 167/200" with a measuring tape from Home Depot, eh?
Some how you have difficulty understanding things?

I see. You are stuck with that outdated inefficient system of units
of feet and inches. While the rest of the world has gone metric, the
USA, Burma and Liberia prefer to stick to their outdated systems of
measurements.

No, I don't want to measure 167/200 inches with a measuring tape from
Home Depot which probably only measures inches anyway. I'd much
prefer to measure 0.835 cm with a **metric** ruler, measuring tape or
other measuring device. That's what we who live in the modern part of
the world do. On metric measuring devices the subdivisions are in
powers of 10, not powers of 2, so decimal fractions are then very
handy to use.

Welcome to the world outside the USA! Yes, it does exist! For real!!!

Also England and Australia use the old system!
They even drive in the left side of the road there too! LOL!
Now days measuring tapes has both system of units, but still the inch is
the mostly used, not metric!
Progress , I guess!
If you buy an American car and like to be a weekend mechanic, you have to
buy tons of tools, in fractions units, 1/2" wrench or 1/4" drill bit or
16 oz. hammer etc...
Crazy, but more profit in selling tools!

U.K. industry is metric. Even when the Imperial system was in use the
people you call machine operators thought in “thous” - thousands or an
inch.

Old December 12th 18, 11:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

Schlyter wrote:
[...]

The US does not use the Imperial system but the prre-Imperial system
of UK units. That's why a Canadian gallon was some 30% larger than a
US gallon.

The Imperial system was introduced a few decades after the US gained
its independence from the UK and therefore the US refused to follow
the dictates from the UK and stayed with the prre-Imperial units. The
gallon was changed the most when the Imperial unite were introduced,,
then the gallon became some 30% larger. That's why the Canadian
gallon is some 30% larger than the US gallon.

During WWII when spare machine parts were manufactured in the US and
shipped to the UK, the difference between the US inch and the UK
inch, although small, was still large enough for these spare parts
not to fit where they should be used.

Nowadays the US units have their exact definitions in metric units.
But unit conversions can still be error prone. NASA has lost a few
spacecrafts due to errors in conversion between metric and US units.
Old December 12th 18, 12:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

And so does Japan, New Zealand, India and a few more countries.

On the railways even more countries drive to the left. In Europe the
UK does of course, but also France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Slovenia,
Sweden, and half of Austria.

Now days measuring tapes has both system of units, but still the

inch is the mostly used, not metric!

Depends on where you are. I use metric units almost always. When I'm
forced to use US units I usually convert them to metric units first,
then I can use any metric measuring device.

Progress , I guess!
If you buy an American car and like to be a weekend mechanic, you

have to buy tons of tools, in fractions units, 1/2" wrench or 1/4"
drill bit or 16 oz. hammer etc...
Crazy, but more profit in selling tools!

That's one good reason to avoid buying American cars... but yes, I do
have two sets of drill bits, one metric and one in inches. But I
rarely measure them myself but merely match what fits together:
metric bits to metric screws and bolts, and inch bits to inch screws
and bolts. Or I may just match what fits best together, often being
unaware of whether a particular bolt is a metric bolt or an inch
bolt.

Fortunately I almost never have to deal with weights in pounds or
volumes in gallons.

We're lucky that the UK/US units did not include electrical units, or
else the US would probably not use volts, amperes, watts and ohms
today but other, different, units...
Old December 12th 18, 01:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 1:23:14 AM UTC-8, Mike Collins wrote:

[...]

That's not metric!
Machinist use thousands or ten thousands of an inch all the time?
The later one is tight, thats for me - Tool maker! Mostly surface grinding use that close tolerances, .0002"!
My analog calipers and micrometers are made in inches.
Digital measuring tools can use both systems, just press a button and enjoy any system of the two!
Also, CN or CNC machines are the same way!
I all ways used metric, because numerical controlled machines all ways calibrated in metric, so they more accurate 2.5x, specially in circular interpolation!
Old December 12th 18, 02:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

Schlyter wrote:
[...]

Canada is metric , so as Mexico, been there , roads are in km units.
http://chartsbin.com/view/d12
Old December 12th 18, 05:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 05:57:39 -0800 (PST), StarDust
wrote:
U.K. industry is metric. Even when the Imperial system was in use

the
people you call machine operators thought in thous - thousands

or an
inch.

That's not metric!

True, but it is decimal.

From 1855 to 1889 Sweden switched from traditional inches (Swedish,
not English, inches) to decimal inches. Our foot (297 mm) was kept
unchanged, but now there was 10 inches, not 12 inches, in a foot.

In 1889 we finally went metric. We've kept a few non-metric units
though, such as our mile, although it was changed from 10689 meters
to exactly 10000 meters. So there are some 6-7 US miles in one
Swedish mile.

Digital measuring tools can use both systems, just press a button

and enjoy any system of the two!

Be happy almost all other countries went metric so you only need to
keep track of two systems. If that hadn't happened, you would have
had dozens of systems to keep track of since each country had their
own foot, somewhat different from the foot of all other countries.
Before the 1600's there were even regional differences within each
country....
Old December 12th 18, 05:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 06:01:14 -0800 (PST), StarDust
wrote:
Canada is metric , so as Mexico, been there , roads are in km units.

When will the US join?
Old December 12th 18, 05:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 9:22:49 AM UTC-8, Paul Schlyter wrote:

Canada is metric , so as Mexico, been there , roads are in km units.

When will the US join?

Probably never! Cost too much, they say!
They assume everything goes digital, so any one can switch to any system as wish!
Old December 12th 18, 05:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 9:21:56 AM UTC-8, Paul Schlyter wrote:

U.K. industry is metric. Even when the Imperial system was in use

the
people you call machine operators thought in thous - thousands

or an
inch.

That's not metric!

True, but it is decimal.

From 1855 to 1889 Sweden switched from traditional inches (Swedish,
not English, inches) to decimal inches. Our foot (297 mm) was kept
unchanged, but now there was 10 inches, not 12 inches, in a foot.

In 1889 we finally went metric. We've kept a few non-metric units
though, such as our mile, although it was changed from 10689 meters
to exactly 10000 meters. So there are some 6-7 US miles in one
Swedish mile.

Digital measuring tools can use both systems, just press a button

and enjoy any system of the two!

Be happy almost all other countries went metric so you only need to
keep track of two systems. If that hadn't happened, you would have
had dozens of systems to keep track of since each country had their
own foot, somewhat different from the foot of all other countries.
Before the 1600's there were even regional differences within each
country....

Since the beginning of last century, world measurement system got standardized. At least 99% of them!
Economies are globalised , it would be crazy to have so many systems?
Old December 12th 18, 10:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Paul Schlyter:
I see. You are stuck with that outdated inefficient system of units
of feet and inches. While the rest of the world has gone metric, the
USA, Burma and Liberia prefer to stick to their outdated systems of
measurements.

Let me disabuse you of that notion. The Systme international is widely
used in the USA. About the only place it is not used is in figuring the
driving distance to the supermarket. Science, industry, education, all
of the activities where the Systme international is important employ
it.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm